Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2005 3:56pm

Style: MMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shooto comes from Catch

'Shootfighting was created when a German wrestler, Karl Gotch, was teaching "real Wrestling" or "shooting" to a group of Japanese elite fighters. Two of the fighters, Masami Soronaka (karate, judo and sumo) and Yoshiaki Fujiwara (muay thai/kickboxing and judo) created what was called UWF or "hard style" in Japan...'

Quoted from
    http://www.usadojo.com/martial-arts-...otfighting.htm

Which means that...
    1. We do get to see 'Catch' in MMA.
    2. If you want to learn 'real Catch', you should find a Shooto or Pancrase gym.
    3. Catch does not 'make BJJ look like childs play.' (Though Shooto is all good.)
    4. Matt Furey and Tony Cecchine are even more full of **** than we thought.
    Last edited by DubhGhaill; 6/29/2005 7:58pm at .

X

Posted On:
    6/29/2005 5:03pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...and?

I thought everyone and their dog knew this.

Well sorry, thanks for the post, I'm sure someone did not.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    6/29/2005 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4. Matt Furey and Tony Cecchine are even more full of **** than we thought.
    Tony's DVDs are good.
    I haven't watched them for a long time now though mainly because I got into BJJ gi fighting. And catch is no-gi based.

The main problem with Catch is that you can't learn an art from DVD. There only seem to be 3-4 guys in the world that even publicly proclaim to teach it. Unless you're close enough to study with one of them (and for this argument ignoring who is real or fake) your better off just going to the closest BJJ school.

Tony's DVDs do have some really good tips and principles though that will (and are) slowly being incorporated into mainstream submission grappling.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    6/29/2005 6:48pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another good link, this one works. The one above doesnt seem to work.

http://www.mindspring.com/~gus_p/gus2.html

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    6/29/2005 7:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Kickboxing/Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shootfighting is awesome, aweome MA to learn. Gets you in damn good shape too.
    "did Phrost just call me a 'bitch'?"-Omega

"The collective IQ of bullshido was reduced with the departure of Wastrel. It further dropped due to the retention of (Serious Harm)."
    - The all knowing Dochter

"but like, it's possible to develop such a level of reflex that you can literally detect someones movements through sensitivity, and block without even thinking"-Apostol

That's the amazing thing about Ninjas, for sneeky cocksuckers, they are all over the place, like dog **** on your shoe.-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2005 8:06pm

Style: MMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fixed the link.

'There only seem to be 3-4 guys in the world that even publicly proclaim to teach it. (Catch)'
    If there are only like three or four Catch gyms in the world, how often do they organize tournaments/matches?

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    6/29/2005 8:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't Bart Vale have a school in Miami?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2005 10:21pm

Style: Sub Wrestling/Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Harts teach catch.

Satoru Sayama was the one who I think invented Shooto style tournaments, but he was a student of Gotch.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 12:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DubhGhaill:
    If there are only like three or four Catch gyms in the world, how often do they organize tournaments/matches?
    Never.

And there may be more than 3-4, I just mean a few FAMOUS ones. But grappling is such a small community that you think there would be some public knowledge if there was some great instructor in whatever city....

The Harts teach catch.
    No, and they don't claim to. Stu Hart was never considered a top guy and I could be wrong here but never competed in non-worked events. His original training was by some real submission guys. He owned and operated a pro wrestling organisation.
    The Hart school is a pro-wrestling school where they teach the students the basics of submission wrestling as a base for the pro wrestling moves.

Not a knock on the Harts, Bret Hart is my all time favourite. Just wish the WWE would get off their asses and release the Bret Hart colletion DVD. **** they are releasing Ultimate Warrior DVD in September and he sued and beat them in court.
    Last edited by FingerorMoon?; 6/30/2005 12:31am at .
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    6/30/2005 1:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerorMoon?
    No, and they don't claim to. Stu Hart was never considered a top guy and I could be wrong here but never competed in non-worked events. His original training was by some real submission guys. He owned and operated a pro wrestling organisation.
    The Hart school is a pro-wrestling school where they teach the students the basics of submission wrestling as a base for the pro wrestling moves.

Not a knock on the Harts, Bret Hart is my all time favourite. Just wish the WWE would get off their asses and release the Bret Hart colletion DVD. **** they are releasing Ultimate Warrior DVD in September and he sued and beat them in court.
    I have heard stories of Bret Hart tapping out Ken Shamrock in sparring matches.

Also Chris Jericho was attacked back stage by Goldberg(real fight/not fake) and Jericho choked him out. Jericho was a Hart student btw.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast