Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 10:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo's Secret Weopon

I thought this article was an interesting article to post up. I let you guys read it for yourselves. :XXking:

http://www.bestjudo.com/article15.shtml
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 10:58am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *I am an Idiot. I am sorry for this post, I misunderstood the format of this article. I thought it was a forum post and that this gentleman was suggesting that Jigaro Kano was a fraud in some way. I have reread it and now realize that i am an idiot.*

Thanks for the post Freddy

PT
    Last edited by Planktime; 12/25/2005 10:21am at . Reason: I was way off base

°Viva los Muertos!

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 11:27am

Style: Boxing/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, Kano hand picked the some of the best fighters of the day, but even still, to have had the kind of success that he did have is exceptional. The only other possibility is that he put them in against people who he new were not up to the challenge; otherwise, the out come he had was phenomenal and a testament to his ability as a trainer or at least a testament to his ability to discern who the best fighters were. Any way you cut it, Kano is definitely one of the sharper men in MA history.
    A lie gets half-way around the world before the truth has time to get it's pants on. - Winston Churchhill

Isolated and Confused

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 2:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Planktime, the questions posed in the article are rhetorical.

The author is repeating common asseritions found in books on ju-jutsu and then demonstrating that they are not true.
    Failing to become awesome since 1976

°Viva los Muertos!

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 3:20am

Style: Boxing/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Planktime
    Neat article except for the fact that it is completely irrelevant. The problem with person posting it (on the judo site) is that they didnít do their home work. It went like this Kano was a jujitsuka before he started judo. Most of his students were jujitsuka. So him "stacking the deck" by putting a jujitsu exponent into a jujitsu tournament and winning is a fallacy. These challenges were MMA long before there was the UFC and that whole mess. The first response to this guys question says it all.

Thanks for the post Freddy

PT
    Jujitsu was common catch all martial art nomenclature. Jujitsu of the time quite literally encompassed nearly every form of beating someone down possible. The article is pretty much dead to rights on the issue, which, I can't tell you I've heard a dozen times from guys who know far less about the history of judo that I do (which, I didn't know was even possible).

After rereading your post, I'm not really sure what your saying or if you clearly understand the thread starting post. You seem to understand that judo was originally just another brand of jujitsu, so I'm not sure where you come up with the statement about the article author not doing his homework. He seems pretty informed to me.
    A lie gets half-way around the world before the truth has time to get it's pants on. - Winston Churchhill

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 4:36pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I guess i should re read it

Quote Originally Posted by chris_ketchens
    Jujitsu was common catch all martial art nomenclature. Jujitsu of the time quite literally encompassed nearly every form of beating someone down possible. The article is pretty much dead to rights on the issue, which, I can't tell you I've heard a dozen times from guys who know far less about the history of judo that I do (which, I didn't know was even possible).

After rereading your post, I'm not really sure what your saying or if you clearly understand the thread starting post. You seem to understand that judo was originally just another brand of jujitsu, so I'm not sure where you come up with the statement about the article author not doing his homework. He seems pretty informed to me.
    Chris,

Ok i will look further into this it is very likely i am off base on this subject.

PT