Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 7:03pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your BJJ training in and out of class--

With regards to BJJ-

I usually go about 2-3 times /week and classes are 2 hours long.

1.5 hours of a class is focused on techniques with the last 30-40 minutes devouted to sparring (5 minute rounds then switch partners).

Just curious how other classes compare and if you also practice outside of class with a friend, etc. or do you feel like what you get in class is enough?

Thanks for the feedback-

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 7:10pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In class:

I try to regularly go to three classes/week. Each is approx. 1 hour of instruction then 1 hour of open mat. I try to roll for at least 20-30min after each class, hopefully more depending on who's there.

Out of class:

I rub my ears in a vigorous circular motion between my thumbs and forefingers. Has yet to have any effect, but I keep trying.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 7:26pm

Style: SubG, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I practice in class, 1.5-2.5 hours each, 4 times a week.

Outside of class I go to my school's jiujitsu club for about 2 hours on sundays.

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 10:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My BJJ classes are only an hour each, that gives us time to warm-up, do one or two tech drills, then two sets of sparring, with the people who didn;t spar on the first set taking the place of the guys that just finished. I'm off training with an injury, but befrore that it was one BJJ class a week, plus some rolling with my gymnastics coach and the occasional roll with one of the other bujinkan guys who does BJJ. They recently changed the Wedsesday class I go to to no-gi, but they have a friday class that's gi and they let you hang back overtime and spar or work on stuff. I'll start going to that as well once I recover. Although I have only been doing BJJ once a week I have also been doing grappling and shooto which covers a lot of groundwork as well.

In addition; I've also found that my bujinkan katas have hidden groundwork, and I just unlocked the code. ;)

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 10:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An hour to 1.5 hours is typical. 2 at the most if it's lower intensity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 10:55am

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go to 2 classes a week, each approximately an hour and 15 minutes. Usually it's about 45 minutes of techniques or drills, then rolling for half an hour.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 11:13am

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we'll i go to class about 3 times a week (2 for bjj 1 for MMA). the bjj classes are ,from 6:30 to 8:00pm , an 1hr and 30min. the mma class can go any where from 2 to 3 hrs long.

Bjj

10 minutes for warm ups( army crawls, rolls, cartwheels etc.)
    30 minutes for techniques
    and the rest of the time is for sparring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 2:54am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm taking beginner classes but they last 1 hour. First 10 or so minutes is stretching and doing running to warm up. Then we do some more warm up movements with rolling and what not. We then practice movements for rest of the class and stretch again at the very end.

After that I hit the gyms for about a half hour. This will either be deadlifts and chin ups, benchpress with barbell and dumbell, or power cleans into front squats.

I hope to do more olympics lifts like the snatch, clean and jerk, and overhead squat when school starts again where they have a gym with higher ceilings. Otherwise I will wait for a warmer day and I'll just do it outside. That way I wont have to worry about destroying everything either. I find I prefer to do the massive compound exercises over the isolation ones. I think if you're gonna train you may as well work everything at once instead of wasting your time isolating. My form in the olypmic lifts are quite poor so I'm working on fixing that.

I feel that intense weight training will help immensely with my overall game. Of course a benchpress wont make me an invincible machine, but compound exercises working pretty much all your muscles at once would help a lot I think. Those olympic lifters seem to be good at so many sports just because of their training methods. I will try to find how these kinds of lifts can transfer over to martial arts.