Posted On:
    12/13/2005 6:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    Straight Blast Biatch!

Seriously, I think the fighters with those 'blitz' hands (Early Belfort, Liddell, apparently Swick, etc) are some of the most exciting things to happen in MMA.
    The only time I've seen Chuck 'blitz' is against Tito.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 8:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    Yeah, that's it. Belfort did what looked like a Straight Blast I've seen out of Vunak's PFS.
    I dunno - I though Vu did it WC style - rolling punches down the middle.

I'm obviously talking about it "SBG style" - sometimes I've seen it taught as a 'pyramid jab-cross" - a hard tight flurry of straight punches down the middle, focusing on that "V point" you mentioned earlier. Good stuff on this on Rodney King's SBG tapes, I understand (havn't seen myself).

Seeing that **** cook Wanderlie's goose was intense.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 10:41pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    I dunno - I though Vu did it WC style - rolling punches down the middle.

I'm obviously talking about it "SBG style" - sometimes I've seen it taught as a 'pyramid jab-cross" - a hard tight flurry of straight punches down the middle, focusing on that "V point" you mentioned earlier. Good stuff on this on Rodney King's SBG tapes, I understand (havn't seen myself).
    The tape I saw demonstrated it as a "running cross"; opposite foot steps, opposite hand strikes. I vaguely recall that Vunak taught it with a vertical fist, but not rolling, really.

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 11:08pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can dig it.

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 11:14pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    moderncombatives.com

modcom teaches it as a 'pyramid jab-cross'. You are basically firing straight punches at the point of the triangle, which is hopefully at the other guys face.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/18/2005 7:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really know jack about fighting with my hands, but I watched UFC Hits Vol. 2 last night, so now I'm an expert. This thread put me in mind of two fights where blitzes turned out very differently:

1. Belfort vs. Silva: Belfort famously runs across the ring with Silva doing little more than backpedaling, leaning backward and getting hit until he gets bulled into the cage and falls. Honestly, Silva didn't look that damaged from the way he argued with the ref who stopped the fight; it may have been more about his disturbed balance than actual damage done.
    Either way, each fighter did something that seemed to contribute to the outcome: Belfort's numerous straight punches, fast as they were, looked perfectly accurate. It looked like each and every one hit on the button. Silva, for his part, started out leaning back, then backpedaled more or less in a straight line, allowing Belfort to pursue in a straight charge.
    Yes, there are other issues, but I believe the average pro boxer would have used head movement and lateral movement to get a little space to recover. Of course, for all I know, Belfort would have been able to correct and stay on him anyway.

2. Tra Telligman vs. Pedro Rizzo. This fight is not so famous, but it's an interesting comparison. Telligman starts out with a massive blitz of straight punches and some hooks. He looks, the first time you see it with my untrained eye, as if he's really pounding on Rizzo. But Rizzo weathers the storm and ends up coming back to stop Telligman.
    Watching it last night, I couldn't help but notice during the blitz (it went on for a good minute, I think, if not longer) that Rizzo was constantly moving laterally, forcing Telligman to chase him all over the ring. He covered a LOT more ground than Silva was able to do against Belfort (but then, Telligman and Belfort would probably not have been considered to have similar hands?) and whether because of his head movement or Telligman's inaccuracy, he was hit with a lot of glancing blows that slid along his cheeks.

I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing ANY of these fighters. I'm not. I'm offering what I think might be an example to illustrate some of the opinions offered here.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 10:46am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silva was right to complain. He is used to fighting in Pride. In Pride they wouldn't have stopped that fight. I think the flurry works better in UFC for 2 reasons. The refs and the cage. The cage stops momentum and makes you look like you are in a lot of trouble. Then some fighters use it to keep you there and the fight ends by ref stoppage. In Pride they just move you back to the middle of the ring or you can bounce off of it and move. Also I think its illegal in UFC also but I see tons more people using the cage for support than in Pride where touching the ropes brings an instant warning.

I (obviously) prefer Pride but maybe someone with better UFC knowledge can comment on the differences?

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 3:40pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Silva was right to complain. He is used to fighting in Pride. In Pride they wouldn't have stopped that fight. I think the flurry works better in UFC for 2 reasons. The refs and the cage. The cage stops momentum and makes you look like you are in a lot of trouble. Then some fighters use it to keep you there and the fight ends by ref stoppage. In Pride they just move you back to the middle of the ring or you can bounce off of it and move. Also I think its illegal in UFC also but I see tons more people using the cage for support than in Pride where touching the ropes brings an instant warning.

I (obviously) prefer Pride but maybe someone with better UFC knowledge can comment on the differences?
    This is generally how I feel about that fight as well. Not to take away from Old Vitor's fast hands, but Silva just didn't look that stunned to me when the ref stopped the fight.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 5:03pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    This is generally how I feel about that fight as well. Not to take away from Old Vitor's fast hands, but Silva just didn't look that stunned to me when the ref stopped the fight.
    And that's why I mentioned the stoppage vs 8 count. If you LOOK like you're in trouble - fight over. That's why you'll see that tactic work in MMA and in boxing you can either clench or take a knee and the fight goes on.

That's my biggest beef with MMA - they're fighters, let them bang. Ref hint - if the guy is heated when he gets up - you ended it too soon.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 6:07pm

Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Silva was right to complain. He is used to fighting in Pride. In Pride they wouldn't have stopped that fight.
    That was before Silva began his career in PRIDE. Actually, at the time, he was near the tail-end of his run with the IVC(Where I don't think the ref was even allowed to stop the fights), so your point still water.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast