Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 3:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Odacon,

I've seen Mike Swick fight once live and then several other fights via TV and video. The dude is significantly faster with his hands than most MMA'ers. He's no slouch and while I think he has fought several overmatched opponents, to just say "wait till someone shoots on him" is a bit inane. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by his takedown defense and ground skills although undoubtedly his forte is standup.

Gringo Grande
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 3:28pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plus in boxing a clinch will stop the blitzing and require a reseting in the middle of the ring. If you clinch in MMA after a blitz, you're still in danger of getting hit even more.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 3:32pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just watched the Swick fights in question.

His wins have little to do with a "Blitz" and everything to do with a looping overhand right. Its a pretty uniques shot that I bet most of his competition hasn't seen before. He may follow it up with a flurry to make sure he gets the stop but those guys were all out after that one shot.

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 3:32pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    What is there to break down?
    I'd like to compare what boxers and MMAers actually do. Your responses are pretty useful. actually.

The clinch game is VASTLY different its not just a safe haven where you can hug each othe until the ref resets you in MMA.
    That's true, but the clinch is better than getting a beatdown at a distance the moment you drop your lead.

They have smaller gloves on. Pain is not the issue the issue is a flurry is more likely to penetrate your defense when the attacker has smaller gloves to snake his shots in and you have smaller gloves to block with.
    Good point.

Its not complicated. If you think its just because MMA guys have crappy hands, jump in the ring and own them all.
    I'm not a pro.

Some of 'em could have better hands. The difference between handwork a decade ago and now is pretty significant, for one thing. There's probably still room to grow.

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 3:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Straight Blast Biatch!

Seriously, I think the fighters with those 'blitz' hands (Early Belfort, Liddell, apparently Swick, etc) are some of the most exciting things to happen in MMA.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 3:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just watched the Swick fights in question.

His wins have little to do with a "Blitz" and everything to do with a looping overhand right. Its a pretty uniques shot that I bet most of his competition hasn't seen before. He may follow it up with a flurry to make sure he gets the stop but those guys were all out after that one shot.
    That's true, but he seems to get them from both ends of a "V" with his lead and rear. On the other hand, I'm not just thinking of Swick, but that walk n' punch I saw from UFC Brazil on Spike the other night. I don't remember the fighter.

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 3:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    Straight Blast Biatch!
    Yeah, that's it. Belfort did what looked like a Straight Blast I've seen out of Vunak's PFS.

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 3:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare
    Plus in boxing a clinch will stop the blitzing and require a reseting in the middle of the ring. If you clinch in MMA after a blitz, you're still in danger of getting hit even more.
    Yeah, but if you don't, you still get hit.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 3:47pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In general i think comparing boxers strikes to MMAers is not a good comparison. There are a lot of differences. The gloves the stance the strategies they are all different. Why should an MMAer punch like a boxer?

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 4:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In general i think comparing boxers strikes to MMAers is not a good comparison. There are a lot of differences. The gloves the stance the strategies they are all different. Why should an MMAer punch like a boxer?
    While, in theory, you would think that MMA would adopt the "best hands for the job", in fact, MMA is so different than boxing that, orthodox boxing techniques don't lend themselves that well to MMA.

Like the man said, stances, different gloves, also, the bare footed element, grappling counters, clinch work, etc...

The thing is, right now, the hand strikes just look very sloopy and "all over the place', more than they look controlled and focused.

I thinka happy medium is just around the corner.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast