Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 6:25pm

Style: Judo, Wrestling, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Double Ended Heavy Bags

What up? But enough pleasantries, let's get down to business.

I'm in the market for a heavy bag. I plan to use it for both punching and kicking, and until recently was just planning on buying a regular bag.

However, a concern was brought to my attention: that kicking would provide too much force and cause the bag to swing an inordinate amount. It was suggested that I buy a "double end" bag, that is, one attached not only from the top but also from the bottom to prevent said swinging.

My question is twofold. Has anyone with a regular heavy bag exprerienced trouble whilst kicking? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to working with a double end bag?

Thanks in advance.

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 6:29pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually like it to move around a bit. It forces me to deal with range variation.

And really, if you hit it correctly, your punches/kicks shouldn't push the bag too much. They'll tend to fold it, and make it jump. It'll cause some movement, but nothing excessive.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 6:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I proper thai kick will make the bag swing quite a bit actually. I've never heard of a heavy bag that was attached to the floor aswell. Sounds wierd. I'd recommend setting up the bag so that the bottom of the bag is rested on the ground. This will keep the bag from swinging around much and you'll still have decent give.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 3:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    I actually like it to move around a bit. It forces me to deal with range variation.

And really, if you hit it correctly, your punches/kicks shouldn't push the bag too much. They'll tend to fold it, and make it jump. It'll cause some movement, but nothing excessive.
    I thought the bag only does that if you have awesmely powerful blows. Us mere mortals make it swing a fair bit. T_T

I agree with the movement bit though. It forces you to move around instead of stand still and just slug it.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 8:44am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No Ryno is right this time. The bag shouldn't be swinging. It should be folding and bouncing. After a while it may start to swing but you need to hit it wiih an off rythm shot while it is coming toward you to stop it. Holding the bag to steady it is the newb way. You should be manipulating the bag almost entirely with the variation of force and direction from your own shots be they punches or kicks.

Sadly I think this is what JFS was complaining about, people that just slug away at the bag from one spot and watch it swing.

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 8:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You WANT the bag to move.
    Some bags come with a loop at the bottom so you can hook it on to the floor or a wieght plate or some **** like that.
    Don't do it.

Move with the bag, move your feet, bob n weave, side step, the works.

A good solid technique, punch or kick, shudl NOT push the bag, like it has been stated before, but buckle it, fold it, but SOME movement is gonna happen since the bag is suspended.

DON'T tie your bag down or anything like that, move your fat ass.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's handy with small bags to have the floor attatchment thingie - I have two small bags and one is free hanging and one is tied to the clothes line pole. I wouldn't think that that would be needed for a big one usually. With the little hanging one I do drills to keep it "up" away from me. I can get 40 or more front snaps (ball area hits) in a row, but I'm lucky to get ten alternating back kicks before it gets away from me. It's fun with the front kicks because I can get closer and closer and the bag swings back faster and faster -do the same with elbows and such.

And I don't agree about the bag not moving much. I know what you mean but if I'm doing side thrust kicks the first one put the heavy bag almost to the ceiling, the second kick catches the momentum and almost stops it, the next one puts it into a big swing again, etc.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 11:19am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your problem is that you are doing side thrust kicks. :p

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 11:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NutCracker
    It's handy with small bags to have the floor attatchment thingie - I have two small bags and one is free hanging and one is tied to the clothes line pole. I wouldn't think that that would be needed for a big one usually. With the little hanging one I do drills to keep it "up" away from me. I can get 40 or more front snaps (ball area hits) in a row, but I'm lucky to get ten alternating back kicks before it gets away from me. It's fun with the front kicks because I can get closer and closer and the bag swings back faster and faster -do the same with elbows and such.

And I don't agree about the bag not moving much. I know what you mean but if I'm doing side thrust kicks the first one put the heavy bag almost to the ceiling, the second kick catches the momentum and almost stops it, the next one puts it into a big swing again, etc.

See, there are at least two ways to use the HB.

One is like you are describing, single techniques to work on speed and follow through, in whch case swing MAY be a "bad thing".

Then there is bag work done like its "suppose" to be done, that takes advantages of what the bag was created for.
    Combinations, working on footwork, throwing militple techniaues at a moving target, etc..

The bag moving slightly, like its suppose to, is part of hitting the heavy bag.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 11:49am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I or my instructors kick the long bags, they swing. Just sayin.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast