221922 Bullies, 4064 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 15 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 5:10pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Really, just how useful is sparring?

I've noticed lots of posts from people saying that "such and such is crap because they don't spar enough", or "they spar like poonanies so their dojo is crap", or "they need to spar more", etc, etc. So, I was wondering, Just how useful is the sparring in most dojos?

Now I'm not talking about arts like Muay Thai or boxing, because they are actually practicing to take hits (which I consider one of the best training regimens one needs for the street), but about Karate, TKD, or even grappling arts like BJJ.

I took Karate for a few years (and yes, from a rather reputable instructor). When we'd spar in class I'd basically always go back to the same old stuff that seemed to kinda work somewhat a little. I could throw a nice little defensive sidekick from a front position that worked great at getting under a person's defense to score. But in a real situation I could only imagine that kick delaying someone's knuckles from inevitably breaking out my teeth. What sparring seemed to teach me was to be afraid, to shy away from ever getting hit, and to passively (read: too patiently) go after points.

Yeah, yeah. I'm a *****. :new_uklia:

In the Jiu Jitsu I've done, it seemed to make everyone cover unrealistically from strikes. There also seemed to not be much in the way of taking a few hits and still going, or powering through an opponent's flurry (but my Jiu Jitsu training is rather limited).

Anyway, I can't see what most dojo sparring helps people do in a real fight. Timing? Distance? Maybe, but I tend to think that sheer and quick aggression will win out over those on most days. However, most of the sparring I've seen seems to tend to water-down one's training, and not prepare them well for the real thing.

*shrug* And yes, I'm new, so I'm awaiting the napalm strike that will surely follow. :love10:

Dagon

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 5:14pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when you expect the bashing, its just not as fun...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 5:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and then some

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, Dagon, the answer is simple, really.

The kind of watered down sparring is not the kind of sparring we mean when we say that one's training regimen ought to include sparring.

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 5:22pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what exaclty is VT?

is it another _ing _un derivative?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 5:29pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it means veal tudo or veal tsun, because nothing is better than veal, and when everything is veal, yummm.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 5:30pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

There is Sparring and then there is Sparring

So the sparring everyone agrees on here is hard contact little or no restriction on targets. This teaches you a few things.
    1.) how to take an attack and not panic/shock
    2.) how to delever an attack on a fully resisting opponent. Since people on th3 Str33t are not going to stand there and let you hit them.
    3) to test your techniques in a way that is as close to real life and still be safe for both operators.

It sounds like the sparring you did was either limited contact or specific targets. Remebers very few people want to fight a boxer/Muay Thai guys cause they are generally hard as a coffin nail.

PT

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 5:32pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he has a point about the quick sheer aggressiveness.

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 5:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One BIG use for sparring: until you've done at least a little bit, you have NO IDEA how bad your cardio sucks.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 5:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sparring is only useful if you plan on getting hit. If you practice kata fast and get really good at doing it you'll probably never get hit when fighting because each move will be like part of your killer instinct. Sparring is only good if you're doing a second rate art that teaches you to take lots of hits.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    sparring is only useful if you plan on getting hit. If you practice kata fast and get really good at doing it you'll probably never get hit when fighting because each move will be like part of your killer instinct. Sparring is only good if you're doing a second rate art that teaches you to take lots of hits.

I <3 U.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.
Page 1 of 15 1 234511 ... LastLast