Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 2:23pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Huzzah, tendonitis!

A few weeks ago I was doing some one-legged squats with some light weights in hand and I am assuming at some point during that I did a few with poor form. As a result I almost certainly have tendonitis in my left leg.

Unfortunately I have had tendonitis in both legs before and because of that I was able to identify it quickly, and also know the drill when it comes to recovery. Very light exercise + lots of stretching = success. My leg is starting to feel a lot better now and I am going to keep at it with my current program until it's completely healed.

This could be a question for the doctor, but I figured I may as well ask here too (seeing as there's nothing to lose). How soon after my recovery is complete would you folks advise that I start working out my legs for strength again?

My current plan is as follows: After I feel no more pain in my leg, do endurance exercises in moderation combined with stretching and see how things are working out. If all goes well there, start adding some resistance gradually for a few weeks until I am sure I can handle heavy loads, at which point I will resume strength training my legs.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well for what it's worth this is what I did:

1) After resting my leg for awhile, I used the leg press...this is what the physio therapist told me to do. It was easy to do, because it's a fairly controlled motion.

2) Active Release Therapy (massage): this hurt like a bitch, but I'd go do it within an hour of working the leg...after it was over the leg felt almost pre-tendoitus good for a few hours.

3) My girlfriend talked me into trying acupuncture, and I was suprised that it actually seemed to help. The pain was certainly lessoned. I don't know it it was just a head trip or what though.

4) A good amount of MSM

5) Tumeric capsules to keep the inflamation down

Out of these things, I'm not sure what worked and what didn't...I did them all and I healed up really fast and was back to doing squats within a month. (at a lesser weight) It hasn't come back yet and now I'm really careful about streching and using the foam roller.

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 9:00pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know why, but until you mentioned it, I was only using my roller minimally and doing mostly static stretching. I didn't have a roller the last time I had tendonitis so I guess I was just going with what I knew. Now I am doing both regularly and there is almost no pain in my afflicted leg.

I think I'm ready to start doing some light workouts again and did a few bodyweight squats against the wall, one of the exercises I used the most in the past. It hurt a little after a few reps, so I stopped immedately. I don't recall, with this should I work through the pain some in order to get blood flowing to that reigon, or should I take it easy still?

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 9:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take Distilled Fish Oil as a natrua Nsaid. You can combine it with MSM and its helps. DMSO can be used as well.

There are many things. Get yourself a hydroculator its a moist heat pad that you boil and then wrap in layers of towels and it feels so good on sore joints.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't recall, with this should I work through the pain some in order to get blood flowing to that reigon, or should I take it easy still?

No, probably not the best idea. Unless the pain is because you are deconditioned, then I'd take it easy with the squats and do the leg press. You won't agrivate it doing that. I know leg presses are for pussies, but in this case, I think it's the best option. In terms of blood flow, I don't know. But you do want to keep that area strong and flexible, and that will promote healing faster. Just remember, pain in the area of tendonitis=bad. I have no medical training of course, but this is what I've found to be true, hope that helps dude, and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 12:14pm

Style: HungGar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Easy running in good shoes on soft turf helped me out.

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 8:31pm

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas
    I take Distilled Fish Oil as a natrua Nsaid. You can combine it with MSM and its helps. DMSO can be used as well.
    is that the fish oil for Omega 3/6 fatty acid supplements or for Vit A/E supplementation?
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PO9
    is that the fish oil for Omega 3/6 fatty acid supplements or for Vit A/E supplementation?
    It's the Omega fatty acids, specifically the Omega 3, and it is effective.

MSM is also extremely effective.

Personally, I'd avoid using DMSO. It is extremely effective, but it's been proven to cause cataracts and other eye deformities in dogs and other animals. There are some studies that suggest that it does not effect the human eye the same way, however, I personally wouldn't chance it.