Posted On:
    12/12/2005 8:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The murder of Jigoro Kano?

The Wikipedia article on Kano says
    Kano allegedly died of Pneumonia in 1938, aboard the SS Hikawa Maru after attending an IOC conference, promoting Judo as an Olympic sport. There is however growing evidence that he died actually of food poisoning. In the historical context, Japan was engaging in World War II, and the government had plans to turn the Kodokan into a military academy. Kano was outspoken in his opposition to this and he stated that there was no place for militarism in the Kodokan. After his death, a few weeks later, the Kodokan was indeed a military academy.
    If I'm reading this correctly the implication is that he was murdered by the militarist Japanese government, however in traditional little-visited-article Wikipedia style there are no sources or references for the claim. Is this true, or even seriously postulated?

Apologies if this is common knowledge, repost or nonsense.

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 5:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definatly the work of ninjas.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 5:55pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's typical garbage from the mouth of wikipedia.

Even if it were true, food poisoning happens all the time, especially in places without food safety inspections for restaurants. Out here in the FSM, in just a few months I've personally got hit hard already by staph food poisoning. So, someone dying from really bad food poisoning wouldn't even be suspicious.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 7:41pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But I definatly wouldn't rule out the possiblity. I read somewhere (on the internet) that Mas Oyama was involved with Yakuza, and had them break one of his students legs for leaving his organization.

Then again, all my info comes from the internet so it's probably not very credible.

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 8:47pm

Style: wsl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably politiks. Even Bruce Lee was poisoned

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 8:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was in Venezuela this time last year.I thinks everything I ate made me sick to my stomach. So the poisoness blow-fish may be the culprit like on the Simpson’s.

¡Viva los Muertos!

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 4:15am

Style: Boxing/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, why is it that when someone dies in asia everyone always thinks it's assasination. Bruce died of an allergic reaction to aspirin. It happens. I knew a girl in college that went into anaphylactic shock from smoking a cigar and died in the emergency room. They checked the cigar for everything possibly poisonous but nope, it was just a cigar.

Kano was an old man, and medicine wasn't exactly stellar back then. In fact, food poisoning in asia is pretty god damn common. On top of that, why the hell would imperial japan bother poisoning him? It seems like they'd just toss him in jail or put him under house arrest until he "changed his mind." What serious threat would they have to worry about?
    A lie gets half-way around the world before the truth has time to get it's pants on. - Winston Churchhill

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 12:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But if it's true what it says about the the Kodokan being turned into a military academy it might not be a coincidence.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2006 9:06pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first I have heard of death by food poisoning. Wikipedia is cool and all, but you can't take everything it says as fact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 12:14pm

Style: Aikido - Iwama Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wikipedia generates noise, not knowledge. Previous encyclopedias were well-researched and contained precise information that could be trusted to be correct. Wikipedia, on the other hand, contains a large amount of errors, omissions and superfluous trivia
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast