Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 6:41am

Style: KickBoxing, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"extreme energy" Pills and Fighting?

Sorry if this is a bit of a newb question..

Sometimes when I train I will pop a "Fat Burner" pill for the extra energy when I feel a bit tired.

The ones I have at the moment are called "Stackers 4..Extreme Energy...Blah..blah" I know they sound tacky but they do work well. In basic terms I can do perhaps 1.5 times the amount of training I can normally do after taking one of these pills. And after perhaps exerting myself to a particularly high level I can recover and be ready for more action significantly quicker than without them. I try not to do them too often though, I know large amounts of caffeine arnt particularly good for you.

My Question-

I am going to be competing in a full contact kickboxing competition soon (my first). Would it be a good idea to pop and energy pill before the fight for the benefits outlined above?

Do people do this? I am reluctant to discuss it with my coach as I don't really know the situation surrounding energy pills and kickboxing/boxing fights. But I do know that everyone at the other weight training gym I go to is on them as it was the gym instructor who peddled them to me. They are legal and above board by the way.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 10:59am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, with a but - no with a maybe...

Legal depends on your sport, your state and what you're taking. Amature boxing goes by the USOC guidelines. Ephedra is probably in that stacker and is hella-banned. creatine is on the list (list @ www.usantidpoing.org) but I still take it since I'm not competeing yet.

Do people do it? Almost certainly. There's probably people that would snort PCP before a match.

Would it be a good idea? Depending on your morals, it's cheating. If you have no morals, look up Steve Bechler. But really you have to decide if the boost you get taking a stim before a match would be worth the **** you would catch if it came out you were doping.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 6:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear what you are saying. This is why I was reluctant to discuss this with anyone from my club as I know it's a touchy subject and I certainly didnt want to get a name as being someone into "Doping".

However, I'm certain there are no banned substances in these stacks. There is a large banner on the tub saying "ephedrine free" and although they dress these up as "amazing formula" "super strong" etc. I'm pretty sure it's just a strong dose of caffeine.

I hadnt looked at it from the angle that it may be considered cheating though....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 7:58am

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If its Just Caffine and nothing else, then it should be fully legal. Up to a certain amount...
    Caffine is allowed in the olympics but only to a certain limit. Over that it counts as cheating.
    To be on the safe side, i'd rather drink something like Red bull /some energy drink.

Caffine Does give you a boost but about an hour or so after the boost you could burn out. Caffine levels tend to peak about 1 hour after consumption, so try to time your drink/pill about 45 mins before your match starts. Glucose gives you a quicker boost but the effects don't last very long.
    Its what i'd call a fair advantage. Its similar to if the person didn't get sufficient rest, you just got abit more energy, not really what one would consider cheating.

Of course, if your pill has a little bit of "this" and a little bit of "that" then you're a @!#$@#! lame ass cheater if you take it just before the match...
    Last edited by Shard; 12/13/2005 8:06am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 8:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Creatine? Are you joking? There's no possible way you can detect that unless they disect you, and even if they could, you could just tell them you've been eating a lot of fish lately.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 1:13pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked at the list and I saw creatine mentioned, but it didn't say it was banned.
    As far as I've ever seen, creatine use is legal and accepted.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 4:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never used creatine..

Whats it good for?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 8:33am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by big_jonson
    I've never used creatine..

Whats it good for?
    extra energy for anaerobic activity

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 9:11am

Style: wrestling, Bjj, fi ting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by warnerj5000
    extra energy for anaerobic activity
    Creating super hydrates your muscles allowing you to store more glycogen.

and you can use it to make your water gritty.