Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 6:03am

Style: BJJ, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How does cardio interfere with weight training?

I'm doing BJJ 3 times a week at 2 hours per session. I go at it pretty intensely - I actually puked 4 times after one training session, which made me tone it down a bit. My question is how this will interfere with restitution after weight training. Is a day with BJJ a rest day as far as weight training is concearned, how should it be counted?

I go to BJJ thursday, saturday and sunday. I want to get in two full body weight training sessions. I am considering monday and wednesday or monday and friday.

I dance salsa a couple of hours each week too. Do you think I need to be consearned about overtraining with this schedule?

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 6:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simply put the more cardio you do, the less effective your weght training will be and vice versa. This is becase each type of training builds up enzymes in the muscle's cells that are specific to either anerobic or aerobic activity. As for recovery, if you are puking up then you are training too hard and this will interfere with recovery and eventually lead to overtraining. If you feel chronicly tired, sore and fatigued then cut back on the training hours.

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 7:43am

Style: gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll get 8 - 10 weeks max before you start to loose your muscle mass. You're body will still perform to function for it's activity - but I think in the end it's one or the other. If you want to still build muscle, I highly recomend you try on a new cycle where for a period you do cut back on your cardio and maybe if you want more activity switch to something fore muscular endurance instead of cardio endurance.... like pilates or isokentics or something. Probably not as exciting as what you're doing now, but a good way to have the best of both and still retain your size.
    I trained with a middleweight MT world title holder earlier in the year who has awesome cardio and some of the best abs - besides my own - that I've ever come across! He's also been on bulking regime for yrs and has consistently made max text book gains every yr . He's also reeally flexible and I probably shouldn't be saying this out of school but doing something like a pilates or upping isokentic movements ( isometric contractions but in a sequence through rom ) , as a fighter - and particularly a grappler, is imo important & helps you to make the most the muscle you're building flexibilty wise and as a bonus also helps support and protect your joints while you're lifting.

I'm sure there's something else you can find more to your taste , but if not, it's something to work with that will work anyway.

cheers & hope it helps.

Blooming Lotus
    Last edited by Blooming lotus; 12/12/2005 7:47am at .

Not Enough Weight

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 9:34am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know that it's as cut and dried as "one or the other." Long-duration aerobic-style cardio is certainly detrimental to maintaining/gaining muscle mass, but sprinting is an anabolic activity in and of itself. I don't think BJJ 3x/week and weight training 2x/week is too much by any means, but I'm used to a very high level of activity, and it doesn't sound like you're quite used to the intensity of your BJJ practices yet. You're the only one who can tell if you're overtraining or not; listen to your body, and know the signs and symptoms: constant fatigue, decreased appetite, consistently declining performance in the gym/on the mat, depression, apathy, etc. Puking isn't necessarily a sign of overtraining; rather, it should indicate a general lack of preparedness for the intensity of the workout.
    Also, what exactly do you mean by "I go at it pretty intensely"? If this means that you're trying to tear people's faces off all the time in class, then you do need to back off.
    "Even if one's head were to be suddenly cut off, he should be able to perform one more action with certainty."
    -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 9:55am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One or the other? Not. But it is hard to build muscle and do hard cardio at the same time. Diet and rest become critical. And unless you're a genetic freak, most likely one or the other will suffer (or at least not advance as quickly as it could).

Your Q's..

1) Hell no 2 hours hard cardio isn't "rest". Rest = resting. light streching. short jog. That's stuff.

2) over training - oh hells yeah you need to watch it. But it really depends on how hard you're going. Just be aware and listen to your body.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 9:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender
    Also, what exactly do you mean by "I go at it pretty intensely"? If this means that you're trying to tear people's faces off all the time in class, then you do need to back off.
    It just means I don't take breaks between rolling unless I absolutely have to, like if I feel naeseous, though I've begun going a little bit easier on this. I also feel that I am too tense while rolling, so I am trying to relax more when I don't need the tension, though I find it pretty hard to do. Anyways the combination of that results in a pretty intense workout.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no simple answer as there are way too many variables involved.

IMO, if you are a new grappler, your grappling sessions are probably comparable to weight training in terms of anaerobic work and necessary recovery time.

I would not use your BJJ days as recovery days. If it were me, I'd probably try to lift Sunday after BJJ to maximize recovery time (Mond. & Tues.), then again on Wed. followed by a lighter day of BJJ on Thurs.

There is no right or wrong way, that's just one option.

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 2:48pm

Style: gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarke
    I'm doing BJJ 3 times a week at 2 hours per session. I go at it pretty intensely - I actually puked 4 times after one training session, which made me tone it down a bit. My question is how this will interfere with restitution after weight training. Is a day with BJJ a rest day as far as weight training is concearned, how should it be counted?

I go to BJJ thursday, saturday and sunday. I want to get in two full body weight training sessions. I am considering monday and wednesday or monday and friday.

I dance salsa a couple of hours each week too. Do you think I need to be consearned about overtraining with this schedule?

Ok - so cardio is fine but as far as you're concerned , because both your salsa and bjj are longer than 20 mins for each session - that cardio you're doing is not cardio but becomes endurance or anaerobic exercise. There are certain types of anaerobic excerise you 'can' do before you begin to loose strength and size, like a callesthenic or isokentic , but neither of those ' you'are doing are one.

Here's something for you to check out.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark15.htm

and here's another http://www.freedomfly.net/Articles/T...training39.htm

cheers and happy training

Blooming Lotus
    Last edited by Blooming lotus; 12/12/2005 2:50pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I personally find my BJJ classes to be a mix of cardio and weight training, that is, it doesn't feel like one or the other. But it certainly has to have an impact in recovery.

How many hours do you dance a week? And at what time? Weekend afternoons or weeknights/Saturday nights? Do you get enough sleep? I ask cuz I also dance salsa, and since I started with my BJJ classes, I've had to reduce my dancing a lot. If you dance Salsa/Hustle/Swing/Ballroom/whatever several times a week late at night, it won't help your recovery, dude.

There are only 24 hours a day in 7 days a week, and unfortunately we can't do all the things we love with the same intensity without sacrificing the quality of one or more of them. :tongue6:

I mean, everyone is different, but I feel I could not do the dancing now the way I did it before. I can only dance once a week, and I'm doing it on Sundays from 5pm till 8pm so that I can get enough sleep. :cachas:

If you are taking BJJ classes, lifting weights, and dancing like a salsaholic, you are doing too much. At least, it would be too much for me.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 4:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    How many hours do you dance a week? And at what time? Weekend afternoons or weeknights/Saturday nights? Do you get enough sleep?
    I pretty much dance when I feel like it which is usually into the night. Something like 2 times a week at probably 3 to 5 hours each. But that time usually includes a lot of talking while sitting down too. I never feel tired from social dancing.

The intensity of BJJ is much, much higher for me, though, so I am more worried about that. Perhaps I will learn to relax more and it will not be as hard. I've only been doing it for 3 or 4 months, and I have not been trying to relax or rest for most of that time.

Lately I have been very careful to get enough sleep. I doubt I am overtrained, though, as right this moment I feel full of energy. That could change, of course.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast