Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 10:51pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Recovering From Broken Legs

Hey guys, I was in a car accident three weeks ago and broke both my tibias and one of my knees. I have a metal rod in each broken bone that will probably be removed in about a year. I am going to be in casts for about five months. When I get them off, I know I am going to have to go through lots of physical therapy before I am able to walk well again. I'm still pretty young (22) and am wondering how the rocovery process after the casts are removed is going to be. I am also concerned how my martial arts will suffer after the fact. Has anyone here had a similar situation happen to them? I am really curious to know what limitations I will have in training after I get back to working out and if/when my bones will heal to 100% again. Thanks.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MA? **** dude, don't even worry about that yet. Once the casts are off you can start learning to walk again, only with lots of pain. Took my sister almost 3 years to get back to normal after her accident but I'm not sure how your injuries compare.

Once you're 100%, you're 100%. But each time you have to have surgery - at least once more for the pins to come out and probably a few more times for fun - you'll be taking a big step back and have to work up to normal again.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 5:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fractured both tibias in the Marine Corps, and I've been through 4 doctors, 3 physical therapists, 2 massage therapists, and an Acupuncturist in a pear tree. I can walk, I can jog in tiny bits, but I had to give up Muay Thai and running.

It sucks, and you will lose motivation very quickly if you let yourself.

For now, only worry about getting your legs better. In the meantime, turn your upper body into a massively muscled, sex-symbol-esque sculpture of female orgasmic potential. Lift weights, stretch, do crunches...anything to improve the top part of your body.

This will make your rehabilitation half as difficult, as one huge setback most injury victims receive is going from no activity to normal activity...or worse, no activity to extreme activity (read Marine Corps). By getting your body used to moderate activity, you'll only have to worry about your lower body.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 6:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I busted up my leg in a motorcycle wreck years ago, and my MA is fine.As a matter of fact, I think the leg that got broken is stronger than my other one.Things like jogging will appeal to you less, at least on concrete sidewalks.
    Just make sure and do ALL the exercises your physiotherapist tells you to. Don't slack off on the one's that seem less important, because none of them are. That is what I did, because I was so damn miserable , and it took me years to get my proper step back.
    Rehab properly, worry about walking first, then, when you feel strong enough, go back to your MA and take it easy at first until you feel comfortable.
    Best of luck.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra