Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 9:11am

Style: wrestling, Bjj, fi ting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Technically not a throw, but very close.

Again, background 90% wrestler/striker.

Shoot the single leg takedown (avoiding the knee to the face).

Secure the leg, and move to a standing position, moving into your opponet and lifiting his leg.

If he has great balance he will be standing or hopping on one foot. If he has bad balance, he will fall backwards. Let go of his leg on the way down, he should be on his butt.

If he is still standing, sweep the leg and twist the one you are holding, causing him to twist with it while he falls, and fall on his knees.

You have to drill this a thousand times and pull it off quickly. Its most effective on a tired opponent unless you are very strong and quick.

Or

If your opponent runs at you, turn slightly under his arm and grab him into the bodysalm position. Now shoulder press him over your head and then throw him to the ground.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 9:28am

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find myself still standing after an uchi-mata or seo-nagi. That's about it though.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 9:53am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learn more sweeps.

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 10:18am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yesterday, at a judo grading, I was watching a very experienced high-level competitor going through a line-up of dans. For whatever reason he seemed to be avoiding ne-waza, so he was generally throwing in such a way to minimise ne-waza opportunities for his opponents. He stayed on his feet when throwing to finish the second and third fights; the second ended with a brutal tai-otoshi, the third with a very high-amplitude te-guruma.

In my experience it's not unknown when one fighter is significantly more skilled than the other and has no interest in going to ground.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason you rarely see people remain standing when they throw somebody isn't because they are unable to, it's because it doesn't make sense under most rule sets.

Even in judo where you could win with an ippon, you never know how the throw will be scored, so you better go down with him and be prepared to finish it on the mat.

Most upper level judoka are perfectly able to remain on their feet while throwing their opponent. I'm able to succesfully and consistently execute at least 90% of judo throws against resistant opponents without following them down.

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 11:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some good points made. Thanks for the replies. Get better at throws and it's your choice to go to the ground or not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 3:29pm

Style: wrestling, Bjj, fi ting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what I was talking about:

http://www.lesgutches.com/techniques/sf1.htm

YOu can see from the pics the weakness that are inherient by doing this, but the awesome position it can put you in if you can finish it.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 11:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With my students, in randori, I can frequently throw and remain standing. In competition, I find I tend to hurry into matwork so follow the throw down (or just simply fall along the way).

Some coaches advocate "terminal judo" - all throws should end with a hold-down. I'm ambivalent on that.

Sometimes, we do multiple attackers drills - a couple-three "attackers" just try to grab one person; that person must move around the mat and learn to engage each attacker individually, throwing them quickly and getting for the next attacker. The attackers get up and attack after each throw, until the defender gets tired, screws up and lets more than one attacker engage him, or goes to the ground with one attacker ('cause then the other attacker jumps on).

Mostly, we can stay on our feet for a good dozen or so throws in this drill. Depends on how cooperative the attackers are.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 11:38pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PEtrainer
    This is what I was talking about:

http://www.lesgutches.com/techniques/sf1.htm

YOu can see from the pics the weakness that are inherient by doing this, but the awesome position it can put you in if you can finish it.
    ouch at the guy falling, look at the second last pic and tell me thats a good way to keep your shoulder from getting dislocated

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 8:34am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roly
    ouch at the guy falling, look at the second last pic and tell me thats a good way to keep your shoulder from getting dislocated
    Yeah, you're right. But remember, it's wrestling. You MUST keep that back off the mat at all costs.

No such thing as a "break fall" in wrestling.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast