Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2005 12:36am

Style: WSL Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been thrown and the opponent was left standing. In fact, he quite literally picked me up and threw me. Then again, he's huge (he can benchpress 110kg) and I'm an average size Asian (70kg). Nothing really amazing there...

On the other hand, I've gotten trips to work without going down. Especially more subtle ones, stick a leg behind theirs, push and they lose balance. however, a lot of the time the opponent will try to hold on, and I go down too, but usually on top at least.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2005 1:18am

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nearly all foot sweeps i do stay standing, most hand techniques as well. hip throws and some leg throws... more often than not go down, but its not rare to stay standing

since my club is not huge on competitions, we may be the exception rather than the rule

virus- why would this necessarily be a benefit to your game?
    Last edited by roly; 12/11/2005 1:20am at .

Posted On:
    12/11/2005 1:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roly
    virus- why would this necessarily be a benefit to your game?
    Because there's lava on the ground, stupid!

:XXphyhsas

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2005 2:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because if you're a better stand-up fighter then it's much easier to defend against takedowns from the clinch if you can throw someone on their head then back away. If you fight under Pride rules you can always throw someone then kick the hell out of them while they're on the ground. In my opinion being able to throw someone and stay standing is one of the most effective ways to prevent being taken down and frustrate/damage your opponent in MMA. It is a woefully under utilized skill.

HONEY BADGER!

Posted On:
    12/11/2005 4:11am

Style: Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    All throws that I have seen performed under live conditions, (randori, judo competition) and performed myself result in both opponents going to the ground.
    Muay Thai allows some throws, and most of the times only one fighter goes to the ground. Falling onto a grounded opponent is a foul.

In MMA, plenty of fighters drop their bodies on their opponents (as part of the throw) in order to add damage to the slam and get the top position.

"You drop on your knees, at least," because you want your throw to KTFO your opponent. Notice also that no matter the rules nor the position, people is always attempting to strike the opponent's head with their hands, so you follow your opponent on the ground because you want to punch his head (or submit him). The only strikes you use when you are standing and your opponent is on the ground are kicks or stomps. Such attacks are legal in Pride and are used almost only after a strike knocks down the opponent, not after a successful throw.

Therefore, no matter wether you want to submit or pound your opponent, you follow him on the ground. There is no "I think I'm Bruc3 L33 I throw j00 'coz I wanna st0mp j00" bullshit.
    Last edited by king of seals; 12/11/2005 4:25am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 4:26am

Style: BJJ,MT,Wrestling,Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a variation of Gansekinage that i use that puts me in the position to drop a mean knee into the opponent's sternum or ribs when he lands, so if he tries to take me with him he's gonna be hurting a bit.

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 5:14am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkengata
    I have a variation of Gansekinage that i use that puts me in the position to drop a mean knee into the opponent's sternum or ribs when he lands, so if he tries to take me with him he's gonna be hurting a bit.
    Yeah I put my knee into a guy's ribs who tried to be a smart-ass and pull me down when we were doing some tech drills. It certianly gets their attention.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 7:32am

Style: Hwardo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agree with Equipoise, it really depends on your own size, strength, and technique, as well as which throw you use. I have used throws where I have remained standing, which is really a waste of time because if you throw somone, don't you want to immediately mount them for the ground and pound?

HONEY BADGER!

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 8:38am

Style: Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeezyTheSnowman
    Since when? When I fought under full rules, it was legal. In fact, my second fight ended with a falling elbow.

From: http://www.muaythaionline.net/discip...udgefouls.html

BTW, I've seen people KOing the opponents by kicking them while they were on the ground, with no DQ.

According to the WMTC, a falling strike should be legal only if your opponent is standing...

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 8:55am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well throwing someone just to let them get back up and continue the fight makes so sense in NHB or str33t. Either stomp them, spear their head or secure a limb for a lockout.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast