Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 8:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone able to throw without going to the ground?

All throws that I have seen performed under live conditions, (randori, judo competition) and performed myself result in both opponents going to the ground. I find that when I hip throw I end up with the guy in my side mount, which is OK but I'd be in trouble if the other dude has a better ground game (which means most people at the MMA classes I do.) If it's a partner compliant drill, then there's no problem staying up and I'm sure that this is near universal. Obviously sutemi-waza brings both to the ground as is intended. maybe all throws are really sutemi-waza?

Any grapplers here ever performed a throw under live conditions and remained standing? If such a skill was possible it would be a great asset to your game. Discuss.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 8:41pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that it is mostly a matter of being better than the person thrown at throwing and catching him off guard enough while also maintaining a steady base. basically practice. I only took a little bit of judo though and mostly bjj so i don't have that skill but i've seen guys do it back when i took judo and they said it was mostly about base and balance.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 8:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on your strength and overall technique and yes, I end up standing a lot with specific throws.

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 8:49pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crotch Throw FTW.

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 8:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Equipoise
    Depends on your strength and overall technique and yes, I end up standing a lot with specific throws.
    Cool, which throws are you useing to remain on your feet?

Edited: I guess throws which don't allow the opponent to grab hold of you during the technique. If you launch someone and they grab onto you, you are going to follow.
    Last edited by Virus; 12/10/2005 8:57pm at .

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 8:53pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I've certainly thrown people under live conditions and stayed standing.

A particular observation I've noticed about no-gi throws is that it's a lot easier for me to stay standing if you throw from an underhook as opposed to an overhook (at least from the myriad of hip throw-related takedowns that I usually go for). It's easier for me to let go of an underhook.

In MMA and sub grappling, it seems like a pretty good idea to throw and continue down to the mat with your opponent so he doesn't have the space he needs to improve his position.

I've never had occasion to throw anyone on T3h Str33t.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 9:09pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem with most throws is that if you do not go down with him you run the risk of him pulling you down with him and ending up on top of you. You'd be better off staying on your feet and not throwing him if he is a better ground fighter.

There are throws you can do and remain standing, the downside is they are harder to set up and if the other guy is a better grappler, chances are you won't pull them off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 9:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try using things other than koshi waza. Tai Otoshi would probably have a higher chance of keeping you on your feet than O-goshi.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 9:25pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man I've thrown people and not followed them down. It helps if you are wearing a shirt you don't care about.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Chemist

Posted On:
    12/11/2005 12:07am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did a koshi guruma and a sasae tsuri komi ashi this morning in randori and didn't go down with my partner.

Hip throws work well if you're doing them correctly --- it helps to have them loaded up (both feet off the mat), then (when doing right-handed throws) look/turn your head to the left so that uke just falls off of your back, and pull up/keep grip on their sleeve when they fall to keep good control when they fall

besides that though, foot sweeps that are not going forward, I like de ashi harai or ko uchi gari going backwards
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast