Posted On:
    12/17/2005 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Gawd, I wish I could get back into Judo, I live in Coconut Creek. :(

My Doctor would flip if he found out, my L5 still hasn't fully healed. I had to peel him off the ceiling when I told him I wanted to get back into Boxing.
    What's your 'L5'???? :dontknow:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 12:50pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    What's your 'L5'???? :dontknow:
    5th Lumbar, I tore a disk. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/18/2005 9:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh man, that's a bummer.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 8:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Luis:

That's great news. I live in Coconut Creek. Anthony we might live close to each other. I'm at Lyons Road and Atlantic Blvd (barely Coconut Creek though).

My only reservation is that I'm more interested in Vale Tudo than pure grappling. I looked at American Top Team in Coconut Creek and I was amazed at their gym and programs. Only problem was it was a bit expensive ($125 a month or so) and the schedule doesn't fit in at all with mine. Looked amazing though www.americantopteam.com.

Of course, there's always One Dragon Martial Arts in Pembroke Pines. They are a Straight Blast Gym affiliate, so they should have good training too.

Still, let me know how the judo place went, I may have to join with those prices. I'll continue my research as well.

Here's another possibility: San Shou in Plantation.

Visit here: http://www.floridakungfu.com/

The San Shou videos look decent (especially the takedowns) and they claim to teach submissions as well. Plus, they teach the Lion Dance!(I hear chicks love that).

So many places, so little money and time.

I'll see what I can find out about them this week.

And sorry to hear about your back Anthony. That's gotta suck.

-Brian
    Last edited by wingchundo; 12/19/2005 8:36pm at .

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 11:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, the American TKA classes for Muay Thai and MMA/Vale Tudo were around that same price ($100-$120-somethign). How many classes per week can one train at American Top Team for $120 a month????

With American TKA, you can train twice a week, plus a sparring day on Fridays. And with Pablo's school (where I am), I can only train twice a week for $100, and for full access to the classes, one has to pay $200 a month (yikes!!!!)

It will be very hard to find a place for less than $100, so the trick is to find one that can give the most classes per week :)

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 11:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh Brian, Anthony, btw

A friend of my recommended me his old wing chun school. My friend is a very strong striker, and he told me this wc school is hard-core, and offers a lot of sparring:

Quote Originally Posted by my friend Sean
    $$- ?? Call Jon 954-655-2464 (Tell him Sean sent ya)
    Sun- (12-2)
    Mon-Thur- (7-9)
    Sparing? HELL YEAH!

Here's a crappy website that one of the guys there was making:
    http://www.freewebs.com/authenticwin...demy/index.htm
    I'm also interested in a Vale Tudo type of class, but I figured Judo would be valuable (with the clinch game and nasty throws one can learn)... plus it's a lot cheaper. As long as I can have an option to practice and learn something ... :lol:

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 11:39pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo
    Luis:

That's great news. I live in Coconut Creek. Anthony we might live close to each other. I'm at Lyons Road and Atlantic Blvd (barely Coconut Creek though).

And sorry to hear about your back Anthony. That's gotta suck.

-Brian

Hey Bro,

I'm at 441 and Winston Park. Will be moving to 441 and Sample next month.

I'm leaving for Vegas for a month, let's all get together in the New Year. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 12:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good lord. Broward County sucks unless you're pulling in 6 figures.

I'll check the ATT paperwork I have to see how much you get for your buck. If I recall, you even get access to their weights, which are pretty nice.

-Brian

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 12:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heck yeah, Anthony, let's do that. Have fun in Vegas! And good luck with the move.

-Brian

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 2:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo
    Good lord. Broward County sucks unless you're pulling in 6 figures.

I'll check the ATT paperwork I have to see how much you get for your buck. If I recall, you even get access to their weights, which are pretty nice.

-Brian
    Hehehe. Broward truly sucks. I believe the cost of living here is greater than in Miami... go figures. Please let me know about the ATT. If it's true that you can get access to the weights, that would be sweet.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast