Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Old School DM

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 8:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Except of course that probably 90% of the people taking martial arts (and 100% of those taking them in Mcdojos) don't really care that Mcdojos exist. They aren't in it to become fighters - they're quite happy paying for some exercise, or some spiritual bs or whatever. Basically, the customer base doesn't care.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 12:32am

Style: tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

and so what's the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Grashnak
    Except of course that probably 90% of the people taking martial arts (and 100% of those taking them in Mcdojos) don't really care that Mcdojos exist. They aren't in it to become fighters - they're quite happy paying for some exercise, or some spiritual bs or whatever. Basically, the customer base doesn't care.
    If whatever service is being provided is filling the needs of the clients, what is the problem? Taking the soccer example, there are soccer players that range from backyard, rec level, "select", semi-pro and professional. Should only those players who are "serious" about their soccer be allowed to play? Are their rec-level soccer coaches who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, of course.

Now martial arts is of course not soccer and no one likes to think that people are paying for and getting something that is "fake." And it irks me to hear some of the "programs" which people are being sold.

The bottom line is martial arts is unregulated. From the McDojo's to the "ultimate fighter" style dojangs where it's downright dangerous and people get seriously injured unnecessarily, there is no regulation. I'd like to think that people involved in MA are more honest and would police themselves but unfortunately that is not the case.

Getting the government or even a non-profit "guild" would be a nightmare. Best to let each discipline police thier own.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 1:52am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about the "Martial Arts International Federation" or the "World Martial Arts Federation"?

My point is, even if we create our own elite anti-McDojo group, McDojo's will unite (once again) and create their own group that says the same thing, but doesn't deliver.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 1:58am

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Garages and parks everywhere will house these free schools, taught by people that never wanted to pay for learning anything to begin with?

I can see it now, the Guild becomes its own McDojo, once the inspectors have to pay a power bill or put a kid through college......

its a nice idea but the free market works pretty good allready, and as you can see, some of the so called better styles can actually charge MORE money and people will pay it.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 2:30am

Style: tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

good point

Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    Garages and parks everywhere will house these free schools, taught by people that never wanted to pay for learning anything to begin with?

I can see it now, the Guild becomes its own McDojo, once the inspectors have to pay a power bill or put a kid through college......

its a nice idea but the free market works pretty good allready, and as you can see, some of the so called better styles can actually charge MORE money and people will pay it.
    There is no rule that says free = quality. I think someone who has spent many years training in MA and puts forth a quality program should be able to charge a reasonable fee that allows him to have a safe, clean, insured dojang and be able to support his family in a reasonable manner.

Some of what I'm hearing sounds like a "fundamentalist" approach to MA. It makes me uneasy. There is no "one true" martial art any more than there is any "one true" religion, or if you take the atheist point of view, it's all a bunch of crap any way. That could be said of ALL martial arts, it's only some BS you do to occupy your time just like people play soccer, tennis, etc. -- it's not special in any way. So why the big deal about what's better or worse?

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 2:35am

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since when did a complete n00b with a dimwit idea garner so much serious attention?

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 3:05am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a good idea.........only if you enjoy someone else placing their judgement ahead of your own. Personally, I'd much rather see for myself what is good and choose the best.

I think we have entirely too much of the "obnoxious parenting" organizations pandering around for our attention. Do they ever really say anything more than our better intuition? or is it that most people secretly feel that they need collective agreement?

At any rate, its not as if people get tricked into believing that they're studying kick ass MAs. If you wake up and realize one day that you spent 2 (or more) years getting a black belt, when all you really wanted was self defense or a feeling of security, then you should probably re-analyze your motives for taking said art.

Bottom line is that if you want to learn to fight, then you should already know what you're going to have to risk to do it. IE, if you're not training in a realistic manner, its probably not going to be useful for fighting.
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123