Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 3:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Snowman
    And you're only talking about Australian dollars. I have to pay $100/mo American for BJJ and it's still a good deal.

Yes, I know what you mean. Martial arts is expensive the world over. No getting around that. I have to make other lifestyle cut backs to pay for my training. I only thank Bullshido.com for pointing out what makes a martial art school bullshit.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 8:16am

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A guild? Just what most martial arts need...more politics.

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 8:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would prevent "The Guild" from quickly becoming bullshido itself?

Moron

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 10:52am

Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Snowman
    This has been talked about before. Basically:

The Guild is made up of it's own members (i.e. no higher power to oversee it), therefore it will become corrupt sooner or later. You think Kempo, Karate, Kung Fu, etc., were always so weak? No, eventually people got corrupt and lazy. Same thing here.

Also, you post on your Dojo window "Member of "The Guild" elite blah blah blah" and they will just form their own "Super Guild" better than "The Guild" with no legal way to prove it and you're back to square one.

Sounds like a good idea, but impossible to carry out.
    Then we would have 'guild wars' and fight it out in safety over the internet!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 10:57am

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This idea totally worked for these guys. They've even got a song and EVERYTHING!

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 11:05am

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't like the blood rule.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even if you get serious schools joining you guild.You probably will get serious instructors.Or so it seems when money starts to be exchange and before you know it these schools are part of corrupt institution like the ATA where 5th Dan have to pay big money if they want to see 6th or 7thDan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 5:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a n00b's point of view...

I'd rather have it be something more like bullshido.net is today, basically a group of people fed up with crapacious martial art stuff (teachers, schools, idiots...) who are doing voluntary effort's to point it out when they see it. (That's my impression so far anyway...)

The biggest problem as I see it is media coverage, I mean it's not like mrs. soccermom who want's to send her kid to a dojo thinks to herself "Hmm... I wonder if these people are authentic (or whatever...[insert]), let's see what bullshido thinks of them" (and I know soccermom might not be the best example, but it's just to illustrate.)

Of course, for something like this to work we'd probably need to make it sound a little bit more politically correct and it has to be done professionally. Just to make sure people take it seriously. Think of it like a section of the website with a directory of dojo's and/or gym's and our experience with it. Of course we should include the basic philosophy behind our reasoning and why exactly we think the dojo in question is good or bad. Your basic non-profit info service....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 6:09pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRedbeard
    I'd rather have it be something more like bullshido.net is today, basically a group of people fed up with crapacious martial art stuff (teachers, schools, idiots...) who are doing voluntary effort's to point it out when they see it. (That's my impression so far anyway...)
    Yeah, its too bad there isn't a webpage with discussion board where many martial artists of vaiours styles come together and try to identify BS in martial arts. Now that would be something...

Of course, for something like this to work we'd probably need to make it sound a little bit more politically correct and it has to be done professionally. Just to make sure people take it seriously.
    If they can't stand to see the word ****, they aren't going to want a school where they get punched in the face. The soccer mom you talked about doesn't care if her kids can fight, anymore than she wants them to be able to play baseball professionally. Its a passtime for them, not combat.

Think of it like a section of the website with a directory of dojo's and/or gym's and our experience with it. Of course we should include the basic philosophy behind our reasoning and why exactly we think the dojo in question is good or bad. Your basic non-profit info service....
    Did you somehow not see the rest of the site? Things like the articles, reviews, and FAQs section? Everything you say would be great to have is here already. If you don't like it, add to it, and get your friends to add to it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 7:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah... I know I'm a fucking newb...

I also know I pretty much described bullshido there... but wasn't that what I said in the beginninng?

And that soccermom was probably one of the worst examples I could have pulled out of my ass I'll admit that much.

I was talking about something for the masses, with a little more media coverage so they actually know it's there. And yeah, it's true that if they can't hear the word "****" or whatever they probably don't even WANT real training (pain, effort and ****). But that doesen't change anything, they seem to make up most of the people in the MA's.

Aaaah... but you know what I just started thinking... If most of the people in the MA's really are of that type... And most instructors are really just telling people what they want to hear, and charging them money for it...

Then the real problem is that the naive/masses/pastimers/younameit are attracted to the MA's, the con men will go where the suckers go, it's just their nature. **** my last post, the problem as I see it is that the MA's are popular, it should be pretty damn clear that most people just follow along with whatever is popular at the time. However... the bad part is that you need a ton of money and (again) massive media coverage to change the current perception of "popular"... The problem may never be eliminated, but it can be moved.

So how do you go about doing something like that? Why bother... Let the suckers be suckers and concentrate on your own training instead.
    Last edited by Jebuyaga; 12/10/2005 8:26pm at . Reason: Typo: said solution, meant to say problem.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast