Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 10:42pm

Style: None at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need help in New Orleans...

Hey guys. I trained in martial arts a bit in High School. I started in Kung Fu when I was 16. I trained for about a year, than switched to Shorin gi ryu karate, or however its spelled. I learned quite a bit in that time. I learned that the conventional training I was receiving was basically crap. I got the most out of sparring which I tried to do as much as possible.

I quickly learned that my fast hands, and very simple kicks were the best things I had going for me. I boxed a bit as a kid and am very quick.

Now on to my question. I would like to get back into training. However, I don't want any bullshit. I have been in enough fights since high school to know how it usually works. Most bar fights, arguements on the street consist of the person with the biggest balls hitting the other guy first. It usually ends right there. Not much else to it.

I want something simple and effective. I know gracie ju...I have no idea how to spell it, is excellent against a single opponant in a controlled setting. But it doesn't seem to be all that good in a bar, or a crowded scenario. These are the situations where I have gotten into the most fights. And like I said earlier, it usually consists of someone hitting the other guy first, fight's over.

Any suggestions? Particularly from you ballbusters who get into bar fights, street fights a lot. I'm still fairly strong. I could do a full free standing squat with 400lbs just a year ago. My upper body strength is still fairly good as well. Probably could bench 225 still. I weight 185-190.

Also, what about conditioning for fighting?

Thanks for the help. This site is very cool.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 11:09pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrong forum, read the damn stickies.

I'm feeling nice though, I'll respond. If you don't want to learn BJJ or grappling, try Muay Thai, Boxing, or Kyokushin. Something with full contact.

Chemist

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    live by the sword, die by the sword

if you're worried about self-defence, buy a pistol, take it to the range and practice

if you go looking to best people in streetfighting, you'll eventually land in jail if you're not shot or stabbed first

use your brain and stay out of trouble, you'll live a longer and happier life
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 11:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Te No Kage!
    live by the sword, die by the sword

if you're worried about self-defence, buy a pistol, take it to the range and practice

if you go looking to best people in streetfighting, you'll eventually land in jail if you're not shot or stabbed first

use your brain and stay out of trouble, you'll live a longer and happier life

I live in New Orleans. In case you haven't been there, prior to katrina, we were known as being a party city. This is true. Whenever you go out, you end up at a bar or club somewhere. Unfortunately, there are always people starting **** somewhere. I don't want to have to leave a place because some ass is starting ****. I'm a fairly intimidating looking guy, so insecure, angry shitheads always end up shooting me dirty looks, etc. Its especially true since I'm good looking and attract woman. Sometimes its some dude's girlfriend and they don't take too kindly to that.

Please understand, I am not looking for trouble. I never am looking for trouble but its inevitable if you go out. I just want to know some ways to drop someone quick so I don't have to go throught this bullshit.

Cheers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 11:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengou
    Wrong forum, read the damn stickies.

I'm feeling nice though, I'll respond. If you don't want to learn BJJ or grappling, try Muay Thai, Boxing, or Kyokushin. Something with full contact.
    What is BJJ, and what is kyokushin? I like the idea of full contact. I'm getting old though.(31)

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 11:37pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ= Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Kyokushin- hardcore, full-contact Karate

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 11:43pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a house....in new orleans...they call the rising sun...It's been the ruin of many poor men, and oh, Lord I was one....

And Wanderer, for what your doing, whats best for you is olympic tae kwon do.
    that stuff will get you hauling ass....
    No way man
    you have to do ATA TKD, that is PERFECT for barfighting.
    Last edited by FighterJones; 12/10/2005 11:50pm at .

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 11:43pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in my area, Kyokushin is no where to be found, considering that tougher arts seem to spread slower + have less mcdojos.

muay thai or Kyokushin is the overall favorite striking art of this entire site...

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 11:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer31
    What is BJJ, and what is kyokushin? I like the idea of full contact. I'm getting old though.(31)
    Dude, you are still a fucking Kid. Go to the Maryland Throwdown threads as I'm there.

I'm 50, old enough to be your Father, Son ... bag the bullshit concerns about banging hard and have at it. It's only pain ... learn to enjoy it.

:new_astha Burn The World :new_astha

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 11:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FighterJones
    There is a house....in new orleans...they call the rising sun...It's been the ruin of many poor men, and oh, Lord I was one....
    Haha.

Ok. BJJ is cool for a bar type brawl? Mua tai seems pretty cool. I'm sure I mispelled it too, lol. Oh, where should I have posted this? Someone pointed out that this is the wrong forum.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast