Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 3:10pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Robert Allemier and ATA

Has anyone studied under Rober Allemier at Rockwall? Does he teach there himself or does he let others do it?

I know most people hate ATA since there are many mcdojos, but it's hard to reject that a guy who's 8th degree black belt would be like that. Unless I'm wrong

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 3:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by billybob1
    Has anyone studied under Rober Allemier at Rockwall?
    ................ but it's hard to reject that a guy who's 8th degree black belt would be like that. Unless I'm wrong
    I don't know if this is a subtle attempt at flaming the ATA group. But if it's not than I have to ask you how did you not notice the obvious bullshit rank he has glaring you in the face?

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It should be noted that to the best of my knowledge...and it's coming from an ATA source...that to advance to Master and beyond involves more "business related skills" instead of martial arts skill if you get my drift.

I believe due to some bitching by smaller schools who were never going to reach the amount of monthly/yearly income that would help...ah...convince the powers that be to promote them past 4th...that a program for small schools was instituted on a different financial criteria to help them become a "master".

Gringo Grande
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 4:54pm

Style: None yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone studied under Rober Allemier at Rockwall? Does he teach there himself or does he let others do it?

I know most people hate ATA since there are many mcdojos, but it's hard to reject that a guy who's 8th degree black belt would be like that. Unless I'm wrong
    You didn't call him <b>Chief Master</b> :icon_puke
    How far is that from Chief Exectutive?

So would an MBA and proven track history of selling used cars and gym memberships start you out at at least 5th dan?

The Couch Ninja

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

STAY AWAY FROM THE ATA!

Read my ATA article

You could be a high priest of (insert MA Here), but if your in a bullshit orginization then rank doesn't matter. No matter what belt level of the so called master the ATA is bullshit and is not even a Mcdojang, they are a McDaycare.
    Last edited by Shinobi187; 12/09/2005 9:17pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 4:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Robert Allemier is genuine.

Hello, I am new to this forum, and found this thread via a search engine looking for ATA history info.

In defense of Chief Master Allemier, he is a good instructor. I was a student in the ATA from 1976 to 1983, and became a 2nd Dan Instructor and school owner. I am in no way going to defend the ATA, but there were (and still are) some good people in their org.

When I joined the ATA in '76, H.U. Lee was the Vice President. Bob Allemier was a 4th Dan, the highest ranked American in the ATA, and held the position of Regional Vice President in the mid-west. He had been a tournament fighter in previous years, and had held a National Tournament title for 10 years running. It was said that he was so good in the ring, no body wanted to enter and compete with him. He became good friends with Chuck Norris, since they fought on the same tournament circuit (different weight class). They remain close friends to this day now that CM Allemier is in Texas.

Master Allemier ran two schools in Lansing, (central) Michigan, and my instructor's school was in the southwest corner of the state. In 1978, GM Lee took over as President, Master Allemier tested for 5th Dan (a huge deal for a non-Korean back then), and was appointed to the National Vice President position. The most senior American was 6th Dan Edward Sell of the Chung Do Kwan (my current teacher) who was in Ann Arbor MI, who we interacted with. I tested many times under Master Allemier, competed with him as the center ref, and attended seminars with him and GM H.U. Lee. I held boards for his kicking breaks which were unbelievably controlled and powerful. His flexibility was impressive. He was also an all around nice guy with a great sense of humor.

(In scoring forms at tournaments, Master Allemier would say "There is no such thing as a '10'....... except for Bo Derek, or course." - I hope that isn't too dated of a reference - lol)

I know the rep of the ATA, and I watched it grow rapidly, and begin to fall apart, but I know that Robert Allemier is the genuine article when it comes to Taekwondo Instructors (at least from a non-Korean, American based org. standpoint).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 7:26am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by msurules101 View Post
    And you??

I hurt someone's feelings once.

I went over Mr. Allemier's website and it screams McCrapshack. Does he actually teach at one of the schools or does he just leave it to the pathetic excuses he has a branch instructors? To me, it looks like he just draws a good $$$ and stays at home.

I have only had the misfortune of running into some ATA people at a few tourneys(they got their butts handed to them) and there was a "school" next to the dive shop I used to frequent. I have yet to see anything that is not Kindercare.

I wish I would have sold my values off long ago for the $$$$$. I could be sitting on a beach soemwhere right now.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 5:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    I went over Mr. Allemier's website and it screams McCrapshack. Does he actually teach at one of the schools or does he just leave it to the pathetic excuses he has a branch instructors?
    This I don't know. I have not been in touch with him or ATA directly in many years. I know there are a lot of baby-sitting schools, and with some exceptions, the Black Belts are not that well-trained in Korean Taekwondo. It seems the org has become comfortable with their H.U. Lee created SongAhm, and a family fun image.

I don't blame the students or beginner Black Belts so much, as they probably don't know any better. I know I didn't when I was an instructor there. It wasn't until I left and met Korean Grandmasters that I had my eyes open to a whole new world. It was almost like starting over again.

Blue Knight

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 1:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I studied under him from 1978 to 1979. Yes, he is a charismatic individual that you are drawn to, but ATA Tae Kwon Do in general - is a belt mill. You were pushed to test every two months whether you were ready or not. There were guys like myself who were throwning their side kicks incorrectly, but as long as they were aiming head high - bad technique was excused. I saw guys and gals advance to red belt in less than six months. This is tae kwon do - the kicking art. I would say that by the time you get to blackbelt - you should have developed some good flexibility and some strong high kicks - which wasn't the case with a lot of students. And whether it was the 70s or to early in American martials arts to learn practical self-defense - the one-step self-defense techniques of learning to block pushes with cresent kicks were useless.

In the end - I had to go across town and learn a different style of karate. But to be fair and balanced, the instructor had great flexibility and technique himself, like the gentleman above claimed - I would have just liked to of seen his blackbelts half as good.