Posted On:
    12/09/2005 8:12am

Style: Functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Realistic Knife Fighting

The Defensive Edge
    -A realistic look at knife fighting -

The most constant thing in life is change. Everything that has been mummified belongs to the past. Mummification is a blockage in the body, there is no spirit. We are all alive and need to progress and go beyond…

In all of my training and experiences, the one area of the martial arts or realistic combat that frightens me the most is the knife. It is hard to convey the ugliness of the knife as a weapon. Anyone, trained-untrained, man-woman, is at a significant advantage with a knife and a great disadvantage against one. So, how do we prepare ourselves for this fatal encounter?
    REALITY is the key here, as most martial artists train primarily to defend against a face to face ‘Hollywood’ type knife attack. We need to distinguish between that which looks good for demonstration purposes and that which will work in actual knife fight. Look at the way you are training. You need to develop your training to gain the necessary skills and attributes to deal with high-speed aggressive blade attacks. Training with edged weapons is virtually useless unless it is balanced out with experience or realistic training methods and functional techniques. Research has shown that fine motor skill techniques require a certain degree of awareness, skill, proximity sense and exact timing to pull off, quite a bit to ask in a real self defence situation. The best Techniques are those you have tried and tested over and over again in as close to reality environment as possible. Make things simple so it works under pressure and ensure you incorporate functional training methods to compliment your techniques.
    We get this experience via resistance training or through actual sparring. Reality knife fighting occurs at combative speed and this is where we need to be functional and effective. This doesn’t mean that you should neglect the various drills that allow for creative, relaxed and playful training. When you are in a confrontation that can cost you your life, you have no excuses for not having prepared as thoroughly as possible in your training. This means that your training exploration has to involve everything that works in a full resistance environment, and that you have to thoroughly prepare yourself for these defensive and offensive tactics.
    So why then should you train in offensive knife fighting skills? You need to understand the offensive elements in order to develop defensive tactics for any offensive techniques you might encounter. Knowledge of weapons working will give you an advantage if you must defend yourself against one. Improvised weapons are often available, so we need to practice fighting with a weapon to develop those skills. One needs to also focus on Knife vs Knife and then working empty hand against a weapon. You must always consider surrendering whenever a weapon is used, unless you believe that doing so will place you in greater danger.
    When training with weapons it is also important to understand the various levels of confrontation one should implement.
    1. Avoid.
    Improve your awareness and avoid. There are various ways to improve ones awareness towards violent crime. From the training you do to studying the criminal mindset and statistics and cases relating to the topic.
    2. Escape
    Set up various scenarios in your training and learn to always look to escape. Mentally ‘create’ various situations in your mind and plan how you would escape from it. One can also create a situation in your training where you need to ensure the escape of a loved one etc.
    3. Use Environment
    Throwing objects or putting a obstacle between you and your attacker or using and object to hit weapon hand or attacker. One can set up various training methods to simulate this i.e. using focus mitts, boxing gloves etc. which will represent the difference between objects one can throw and those you can use as a weapon.
    4. Mobility
    Working on ones perception of distancing, timing and accuracy not to engage and to escape the situation as safe as possible. One needs to also work one ones mobility tactics when having a loved one with you to protect.
    5. Engage
    This is extreme and is really only worthwhile if saving a loved ones life is at stake or if the situation or environment requires one to engage with attacker. When engaging it is imperative that one grabs the weapon hand with both hands to secure and to then set up your escape or attack.

An important guideline is to avoid focussing on disarms unless the situation presents itself. It is also important to use various size training knifes and improvised weapons to ensure a well rounded approach to a realistic encounter. Add Realistic drills in your training and ensure correct drilling before and after ‘techniques’. Train in various environments and test your techniques all the time to ensure you get the correct feedback with the ‘techniques’ you are using.
    Adding blade training into your arsenal for realistic Street Self defence is essential. One must not make the mistake by thinking you are invincible and that it is now OK to take on a attacker with a weapon. Avoiding and Escaping should always be your first priority. This is by no means a cowardly reaction. Your possessions can be replaced your life cannot. There can only be one winner in a knife fight and more often than not there are two losers. There is an old saying that says ’ When two tigers fight, the one will die today, the other dies tomorrow due to all it’s wounds it suffered’ Don’t just dismiss training with weapons because you think that you’ll never use them and that you will be able to avoid this type attack in the street. You will gain more insight, be more prepared for any situation, improve your attributes, and its loads of fun. Training with weapons is part of becoming the best that you can be.

Morné Swanepoel
    President JKD High Performance Street Fighting
    JKD Unlimited High Performance Mixed Martial Arts
    Website www.jkd.co.za
    President World Taiji Boxing Association South Africa
    Website www.freewebs.com/sataichi

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 9:49am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You posted in the wrong forum again. Posting here is for exposing frauds. By posting this you are asking us if it is fraudulent.

Try the Techniques forum.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 6:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by morne
    The Defensive Edge
    -A realistic look at knife fighting -

The most constant thing in life is change. Everything that has been mummified belongs to the past. Mummification is a blockage in the body, there is no spirit. We are all alive and need to progress and go beyond…Swanepoel
    President JKD High Performance Street Fighting
    JKD Unlimited High Performance Mixed Martial Arts
    Website www.jkd.co.za
    President World Taiji Boxing Association South Africa
    Website www.freewebs.com/sataichi[/B]
    Actually, seems there are a couple of constants, death, taxes, change and Tossers pimping bullshit.

Another of the "dueling" school of (mis)understanding knife "fighting" ... what a fucking moron.

All his set scenes are "dead" wrong ... follow this asshole's train of thought and be prepared to die in the train wreck at the end.

A knife is an assassin's weapon ... there is no draw, flash and exchange in real World. It is cut or stab and you're bleeding, possibly dying. I teach an authectic TCMA knife system. Takes all of about an hour to teach ... pusue real skill as you so desire.

I've never had anyone be exposed to this method who didn't have a shift in perspective regarding the blade. In short, with a blade in hand I can kill you a hundred different ways before Sunday. Unless you are standing off with a handgun or rifle ... there isn't a fucking thing anyone can do to stop me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 11:46pm

Style: WSL Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I practise knife defence! It largely involves running very fast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 8:22am

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked through the forum rules but couldn't find anything against spamming the boards. I don't understand why this ass hasn't been banned yet. The purpose of the posts are not to discuss anything but an attempt at free advertising. At least the posts are in Bullshiodo.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 8:29am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabogganwheel
    I practise knife defence! It largely involves running very fast.
    You are one very smart Dude.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 8:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FredGarvinMP
    I looked through the forum rules but couldn't find anything against spamming the boards. I don't understand why this ass hasn't been banned yet. The purpose of the posts are not to discuss anything but an attempt at free advertising. At least the posts are in Bullshiodo.
    His posts would be "okay" if he couched them as a theoretical presentation. Then he could be asked "why & how" and a debate or exchange could take place.

As he's been doing it they are blanket assertions and obviously come from a formal class environment.

Just more rotting afterbirth attributable to that dead piss ant poseur Jun Fan.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 9:02am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Edit:

I wrote out a couple responses to what I thought was your point, but none of them suffice because I couldn't quite pin down what the hell it is.

What is your point?
    Last edited by Nid; 12/10/2005 9:06am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 10:46am

Style: mixed +

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was his name Moron?

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 2:00pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best knife fighting advice I've ever gotten was this: You are going to get cut. Get over it and move on.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast