228203 Bullies, 4705 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 62
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. CanucKyokushin is offline

    He'll flip ya!

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    ?????????
    Posts
    2,736

    Posted On:
    12/08/2005 10:10pm

    supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    For example if you knew NOTHING about me and I told you the following:
    Ok !I think I can play this game.

    I am a Judo brown belt.
    "Nice to me you!Would you care to show me some moves.I am what you call a novice at Judo."
    I am a Kenpo brown belt.
    "I don't think you can possibly slap me to death even if you tried."
    I am a black belt in a whatchit-never-heard-of-style.
    Quote: :icon_puke unquote.

    I am a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
    "To gostos esfrigar contro o otro pessoa?"

    If I were to me you and you told me that you hold high rank in Judo or BJJ or any good Karate style I would immediatley be impressed and want to get any free lessons that I could out of you Or ask for war stories.

    And with the 2 other styles.Sorry,I would consider your rank suspect .But at leats I wouldnt laugh in your face about it.
  2. BudoBuyu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    382

    Posted On:
    12/08/2005 10:48pm


     Style: BBT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About the whole BJJ blackbelt thing:

    I think that BJJ is a great art, but more importantly has a standard in quality. That's why when people say, "Watch out, he's a Black Belt", they know about what skill level he is seeing that BJJ has a wide variety of competent and good instructors.

    The drawback to a TMA, and especially Taijutsu/Ninjutsu, is the quality of the instructors out there. There are so many fakes, frauds, phonies, and wannabes that it's hard to determine what skill level the person is.

    But like he said, does it even really matter? If you can't tell by the person taking the art if they're skilled or not, then what the hell?

    Someone once said that no matter how hard you train in any art, that there is a least one guy out there with no training in anything who can whip your ass. And, just the same, there's probably at least one guy in the entire world who takes Aikido with no resistance and who's never been in a fight who will get lucky and beat some guy's ass in Muay Thai or something. You just never know.

    It's all the person, not the art, belt or whatever.

    I know what I've just said has been said a million times on here. And probably in this thread, but to be honest I'm just too tired to read. Just my two cents anyway.
  3. Red Elvis is offline
    Red Elvis's Avatar

    Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Soviet State Of Kalifornia
    Posts
    2,201

    Posted On:
    12/08/2005 11:31pm

    supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is why BB's are not respected. Lifted from the thread by Canuckyokushin. That these are black belts no less in a crime but the stickwork is icing on the cake. BJJ will find its way soon too. Starting with video lessons on how to teach without ever having trained and so on and so forth.
    .
    :icon_twis
    .

    To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness
  4. katsu is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in conclusion, MMA sucks.
    Posts
    158

    Posted On:
    12/08/2005 11:45pm


     Style: AIKIDO

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O.K I'll play to:
    I am a Judo brown belt.
    "really? how's that been working for you? I'm 5th kyu in AIKIDO"
    I am a Kenpo brown belt.
    "good for you! my big bro is a BB in isshinryu"
    I am a black belt in a whatchit-never-heard-of-style.
    "sure...I'm familiar"
    I am a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
    "sorry I'm only familiar with the kyu\dan system" that give you any idea of what prejudices I have?
  5. BudoBuyu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    382

    Posted On:
    12/08/2005 11:49pm


     Style: BBT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeezyTheSnowman
    And for gods sake, it is NOT all on the person. Take everything you like about your art. Remove it. Give whats left a new name. Is it still just as good? **** no.
    Well, let's put it this way, if you're a badass already and take Tai Chi, and that's your art, then what?

    Is it the art? Or the person? Is Chuck good because he takes Style A? Or just because he trains hard, works out, and understands how to fight?

    The benefit BJJ and other "sport" arts have over TMA is the fact that it's harder to "fake" than TMA. You can't fake tap someone out. It's either going to break, or it's locked. But, you can hit someone who's never bit hit before with Style A and they think it's the next best thing since sliced bread because they've never been hit.

    It's easy to fake the funk with some arts and some not so much. No art is invincible and unbeatable. The moment you think your art is t4h l337 is the moment someone from Tai Chi or TKD kicks your ass.

    I'm not saying it's all the person and no art. I'm just saying what makes someone command respect should be the person, not the art. This leads to people trying to stroke their own egos by saying they're in an art that's supposed to be feared/looked highly upon. It kind of reminds me of a woman I used to know who thought she was the **** because of her art (Krotty). So when we sparred, she warned me first, "I'm a BB in Karate just so you know" like she thinks she's getting some extra respect because her art and rank "demands" it. Pfft.

    So to sum this up; If you say, "I'm a (rank here) in (art here), then you're more than likely trying to get insta-rep or stroke your own ego.

    Here's a good example:

    "I take martial arts."
    "For how long?"
    "(number of years)"
    "What style do you take?"
    "(style here)"

    That shows that you're just answering their questions instead of tooting your own horn.
  6. BudoBuyu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    382

    Posted On:
    12/08/2005 11:57pm


     Style: BBT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by katsu
    O.K I'll play to:"really? how's that been working for you? I'm 5th kyu in AIKIDO""good for you! my big bro is a BB in isshinryu""sure...I'm familiar""sorry I'm only familiar with the kyu\dan system" that give you any idea of what prejudices I have?
    See, I just don't get this mentality. Is it somewhat egotistical to inform everyone you are __Kyu/Dan in whatever system whenever you have the chance?

    Or am I the only one that doesn't really give a **** about rank? :tongue11:

    I mean, am I supposed to tell whoever I'm fighting what rank I am and my art history?

    I'll play too:

    I am a Judo brown belt.
    Nice. How do you like Judo?

    I am a Kenpo brown belt.
    Nice. How do you like Kenpo?

    I am a black belt in a whatchit-never-heard-of-style.
    Nice. What's that art like?

    I am a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
    I have several friends that take that. How's it working out for you?
  7. BudoBuyu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    382

    Posted On:
    12/08/2005 11:59pm


     Style: BBT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeezyTheSnowman
    Trick question. A real badass wouldn't take tai chi.

    Anyways, he'd get worse. Simple as that. There are badasses all over the place. If you fight hard with no technique, you'll lose though. Some gigantic super heavyweight spazzed out on me today. Plenty tough and strong as hell. Did he tap me? **** no. Technique > badassedness. Tank Abbot is a badass. He's also irrelevant in the world of MMA.
    Damn! Foiled! Well I have to agree with you. He'd probably get worse. But, maybe said guy could still whip BJJ Purple Belts. He may not be realizing his potential, but he can still kick ass, right?

    And the same goes for Bob Sapp. Sure he's a badass, but a little fucker with supreme technique can whip him just fine.
  8. UrbanArmory is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, baby!
    Posts
    121

    Posted On:
    12/09/2005 12:20am


     Style: nothing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am guilty of this typing only in one catagory- kung fu. If ANYONE comes up to me and says that they are a "black sash" in kung fu, I m afraid I immediately loose most respect for them.
  9. Tabogganwheel is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    91

    Posted On:
    12/09/2005 12:22am


     Style: WSL Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tai Chi is awesome if you can use it properly. Unfortunately very few people can because it takes at least 15 years or so to get decent at fighting with it...

    But those 60 year old taichi guys are real badasses!
  10. BudoBuyu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    382

    Posted On:
    12/09/2005 12:26am


     Style: BBT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabogganwheel
    Tai Chi is awesome if you can use it properly. Unfortunately very few people can because it takes at least 15 years or so to get decent at fighting with it...

    But those 60 year old taichi guys are real badasses!
    Uhh...I hope you're being somewhat sarcastic.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.