Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 12:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Snowman
    What do you mean by "ethnic MA outside of Asia"? The only popular "ethnic" , non-Asian MA that I know of is either Capoeira or wrestling, if you want to count Egypt.
    I mean the MA practised traditionally by native populations outside of Asia. I guess the same dilemma faces minority MA in traditional Asian societies.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 1:06am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rote, "Traditional" martial arts serve a purpose. They may not serve "your" purpose, but they still serve a purpose.

While I want to unleash my Flaming Child Punch whenever I see a kid under 18 wearing a Black Belt, I'd be a fool to state that children don't need martial arts. Actually, I feel that children need martial arts MORE than adults...and they need it for all the bullshit reasons that many adult martial artists scoff at.

Kids need to learn respect, obedience, and discipline...and the value of EXERCISE (childhood obesity is scary in America). Children also tend to devolve into primal methods of interpersonal combat when put in a "sparring" situation...which means they wrestle and slap like complete morons. Using "rote" and "traditional" means to create a solid foundation isn't completely moronic, as it has a place that might not appeal to you.

Children aside, have you ever come across an overweight, half-blind, clumsier than hell adult that suddenly decided to try "Martial Arts"? Putting them in a ring and yelling, "Punch naturally!" won't accomplish dick. A beginning student like this would greatly benefit from training in "rote" and "traditional" martial arts.

Otherwise, how will you teach a Jaba the Hutt clone to accurately transfer weight to a punch? How do you teach Big Bird to not telegraph a low switch kick?

Simple. You show them how YOU, as an instructor taught in your discipline, perform the technique to your standards, then you have them drill the **** out of it until they get it. Once they get it, you drill the **** out of them until they forget it. Once they are that point, THEN they can relearn it in a "customized" fashion.

I will agree that many martial artists will find themselves moving away from "rote" systems/methodologies after they've developed a solid foundation. But to try and "freeform it" without a solid basis could possibly create a seriously flawed martial artist.

I hope that made sense, as I have been drinking...and ill...and NightQuil doesn't mix with vodka too well.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 1:16am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knecht Ruprecht
    Actually, you're wrong on two points. First: Judo has a large component of "learning techniques tailored to individuals". Tournament players spend large amounts of time finding, drilling and refining a small number of special techniques that they can eventually pull off foward, back, upside down and in their sleep.

Second: linear progression is not a bad thing if it is in parallel to developing your own game, rather than instead. If students are not systematically exposed to, and forced to learn, the entire curriculum - who is supposed to be the coach who helps the next generation of competitors pick and learn the small number of techniques suited to them?

somehow your avatar reminds me of Little Otik
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 1:30am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gravious
    LOL

Does this mean we could now produce an Angry_Spastic-bot to post on his behalf (directly to Trollshido)?
    No, it means I need psychotherapy and the fruits of neuroscience. It also means you and other people who get unaffected brains and fill them with drivel prove we need eugenics. :icon_smil
    Last edited by Toby Christensen; 12/10/2005 1:32am at .
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Outside Context Problem

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Spastic
    No, it means I need psychotherapy and the fruits of neuroscience. It also means you and other people who get unaffected brains and fill them with drivel prove we need eugenics. :icon_smil
    I'm looking forward to the first thread you contribute to or start, in which you do not make reference to your numerous mental or physical health problems in what seems to be increasingly desperate attempts to garner sympathy.

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 8:05pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, I have an extremely narrow world view; the fact that the powers that be can't deign to spend money on medicine the way they do on defence is not a small matter either.

Unless you're doing a sociology degree majoring in disability politics then why comment? (Unless you're actually disabled yourself). That's the only way you'll gain perspective. You commenting on aspects of disability would be like me running a flight school.
    Last edited by Toby Christensen; 12/10/2005 8:08pm at .
    What am I?:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123