Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 3:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Linear progression

One of the things that concerns me about learning judo or jujitsu or SPM (apart from whoring myself) is that they practise a linear standard of progression.

Asian MA = perform rote techniques to satisfactory standard, get belt, proceed
    Sport MA (boxing and wrestling) = learn techniques tailored to individual, win bouts, proceed

Ethnic MA practised outside Asia:

If sport- see "Sport MA" reference.
    If for T3H B4TTLEF13LD- learn techniques tailored to individual, don't get killed or crippled, return, practise refine and add techniques and so on.

:tongue3:
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

so what are you saying?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 4:08pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That Asian MA, as least as practised in da West and God only KNOWS how much the Kung Fu kiddies, hippies and assorted orientophiles love em, have lost any decent standard for quality.

A case in point really is Brisbane. Now if I can just persuade a 7ft Dinka wrestler to pop into a judo school.

Oh, and Aesopian, kindly debate instead of neg repping. Ta.
    Last edited by Toby Christensen; 12/08/2005 4:13pm at .
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 4:19pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AS SOON AS YOU STOP BEING A GOTARD.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 4:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Spastic
    One of the things that concerns me about learning judo or jujitsu or SPM (apart from whoring myself) is that they practise a linear standard of progression.

Sport MA (boxing and wrestling) = learn techniques tailored to individual, win bouts, proceed

If for T3H B4TTLEF13LD- learn techniques tailored to individual, don't get killed or crippled, return, practise refine and add techniques and so on.

You realise this is a pointless post and you should be shot for wasting my valuable time.

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 6:32pm

Style: AIKIDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think linear progression would be a lot more helpfull if there wasn't so much testing.(not that every school has so much testing)

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 6:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

IME, total rubbish. "Learning" is all self-directed and particularly w/in a MA context the learning visual model should most closely resemble a reticular web.

Once again, someone blames a system or method for their personal failings. The failure is rooted in the approach and that is pure individual.

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 8:12pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

False dichotomy, but useful. I think planty of commercial TMA schools are all about technique catalogues, but that doesn't mean it's "non-traditional" to develop an individual base. In fact, I do believe there's a term in Japanese arts for developing a personal set of core skills, but I can't remember what it's called. Sports also progressively add tactics. They just don't categorize every single combination of basics like an EPAK Parting LIne Dancing Fairy Move.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 9:12pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Criticize asian martial arts
    2) Nuthug western martial arts only three people still practice
    3) Talk about how cool it would be if a (giant/female/pcp addled) practitioner of same crashed a AMA dojo
    4) Make sure the post asks no questions and presents no information.
    5)
    6) Profit

For the record, good asian martial arts places don't have to be married to the idea of a strictly paced progression, and I'm sure there are western martial arts places that will hold you back by teaching you things that aren't right for you. Those are YOUR assumptions AS.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 9:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    AS SOON AS YOU STOP BEING A GOTARD.
    In being a "go" TARD, it at least shows I have initiative, goals, energy and productivity, which I'd keep in preference to your flabby pig's thigh's in a pair of stained Y-Fronts any time.
    What am I?:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast