Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 10:24am

Style: RMAX

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Coach Sonnons - San Shou victory

Coach Sonnon recently competed in a San Shou competition, and won. Here is a link to the fight footage. Before this competition Coach had never competed in San Shou and had a very minimal prep time, which as you see wasnt a great problem.

http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/i...nshouchamp.wmv

enjoy,

Andrew Usher
    RMAX UK

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 10:26am

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So why is this bullshido noob?
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 10:33am

Style: Chito-Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Usher, is this the actual tournament/ title fight? It looks like a friendly sparring session.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 11:15am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What were the rules?
    Did those all those throws when Sonnan went to ground as well count?
    Why was it in a ring? Normally you can push people off the platform.

How many people did he have to fight to become a "US open international San Shou Super Heavyweight Gold Medalist"?

So many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 4:37pm

Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm confused.

It starts with "super heavyweight champ" thing in the beginning. But the rest of the fight appears pretty good natured and unofficial. Not to completely discredit the man. He appeared, by sight, to be fit, and he had some good techniques. But not sure what the video was attempting to prove, or what "victory" it showed. And I also couldn't tell what the rules were just by glancing.

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 4:44pm

supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    What were the rules?
    Did those all those throws when Sonnan went to ground as well count?
    Why was it in a ring? Normally you can push people off the platform.

How many people did he have to fight to become a "US open international San Shou Super Heavyweight Gold Medalist"?

So many questions.
    San Da rules

Yes they count. But you don't get as many points if you go down with them; ex 1 point instead of 2 points if you remain standing, or 3 points if it was a legs-over-the-head type throw or sweep

Most San Da matches are fought in rings these days. Traditional San Shou / Lei Tei matches are fought on the meter high platform, and rules are slightely different, but this all varies from venue to venue.

In this case i believe he only fought one fight. I tried to find online the name of who he fought and people and teams who showed for that event this year but couldnt find jack. Not to take anything away from his win, he earned it and didnt choose who showed to fight, but i do not believe that any of the major san shou / san da players attended that event this year, which is why they consolidated it into a few superfights, instead of a tournament style event. There are several different san da/ san shou organizations and title belts. He looks to be a good fighter and may go far, but until he cleans out all the 'real' san da fighters in his weightclass then he is not exactly universal san shou champ.

That said, good win for him though, looks like he comes from a real good fight team and concrats to them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 5:05am

Style: none currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen the kinds of crowds and venues cung lee gets. There's no way that was a san shou championship anything...

also, after the other threads that were posted on this board with him rolling around on the ground with his own students kicking him in slow motion, there's no way i can take him too seriously

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 2:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just downloaded and watched the entire fight, and I've got to say that there is no way that Sonnon's opponent is anywhere near being a top rate san shou fighter. Supposedly he's from Cambodia, named Khai and unknown here. He would be a 'B' level san shou fighter here at best, and would get his clock cleaned by just about any 'A' level amature or pro san shou fighter in the US, I have no doubt about that after watching his technique.

It looked like a fairly low-intesity match. Sonnon showed some decent techniques, but any skilled san shou fighter could look good against that guy. Before he goes around claiming to be a san shou champion he should at least fight someone relevant in the san shou world. He's got a long ways to go before he could beat someone of Marvin or Cungs' caliber.

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 2:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW none of the top san shou / san da teams in the US attend any of Shawn Liu's events anymore due to him pissing off fighters and coaches at past events. Its too bad but he's made himself irrellevant.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 3:24pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know Sonnon and I don't know much about San Shou or Sanda. I do know that Pros don't wear more padding than Amateurs.