Posted On:
    12/07/2005 9:02pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Harai Goshi

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
    I'v been using this throw to no end in wrestling
    set up the high under hook and a low over hook or just grab their arm tightly
    control their body - set them up beside you, reap both of their legs with your leg and reap them over..
    I'm having great success with this throw, but I figured, make a thread on this? Why the hell not!
    anyone have any other tips for this throw? (no gi)

Last edited by FighterJones; 12/07/2005 9:06pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2005 9:17pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have a ton of throwing experience besides the basic Ogoshi and Osotogari we practice in my TKD class (hardly advanced Judo knowledge there), but can the throw be done with an underhook instead of that overhook? Seems like the overhook is to prevent them from stepping back and maybe grabbing your back, but the underhook would accomplish that too, and open you up for other things as well. But I really don't know, I'm not big on the no-gi over-under hooking and all that (especially with throwing)

Posted On:
    12/07/2005 9:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you high under hook the arm close to you
    you just over hook the other one to grab em so its easier to toss em over, if i recall right

Posted On:
    12/07/2005 9:21pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FighterJones
    DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
    I'v been using this throw to no end in wrestling
    set up the high under hook and a low over hook or just grab their arm tightly
    control their body - set them up beside you, reap both of their legs with your leg and reap them over..
    I'm having great success with this throw, but I figured, make a thread on this? Why the hell not!
    anyone have any other tips for this throw? (no gi)

I like to set this (and some little variations of it) up with an uchi mata. Get them defending the uchi mata and then switch into the ol hip-sweepish throw (not sure if I really get to call it harai goshi or not).

Posted On:
    12/07/2005 9:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so you just start with uchi mata and then transfer into harai goshi as they're defending the uchi mata? i'm confused.
    www.judoinfo.com
    if its a different throw please point it out
    Last edited by FighterJones; 12/07/2005 9:25pm at .

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    12/07/2005 9:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will yo guys stop using JudoInfo.com because it has no info to give.The 'site seems to be shut-down.

Posted On:
    12/07/2005 9:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so you just start with uchi mata and then transfer into harai goshi as they're defending the uchi mata?
    Edit: It's a different variation from the video of the Uchi-mata technique they have on there. The one I'm referring to in my example attacks the closer leg as opposed to the farther leg.

The one I'm referring to is in the Kodokan Judo book if that helps. The one they show the video of on judo info is a variation that is also referred to in KJ, but isn't the main one.

Back to my response:

It kind of depends what they do. If I can't for some reason get their closest leg off the ground very far, I like to switch into a rolling knee bar.

(Probably a not very good) Explanation of how do knee bar:

Assuming you are doing it with a left-handed overhook:

1.) Keep the overhook
    2.) Lift your left leg as high possible while bending down and hooking their right leg with your right arm. Try to glue your body onto their right leg.
    3.) Roll over shoulder into kneebar

Generally the overhook keeps training partners trapped long enough for me to adjust to get the knee bar. If you can't get it one handed, you can switch to a two handed or behind the triceps knee bar. I haven't gotten this in a tournament or anything, but I've done it in class successfully.

HOWEVER

If I get their leg decently far off the ground but I am sucking or they are just defending better than I am attacking, I'll switch into the hip sweep.

And Kengou: I prefer throwing from an overhook as opposed to an underhook, but an easy counter to a sloppy overhook is dropping to your knees and going for a single or double leg, so be aware of that.

By the way, I'm only a newbie blue belt, so I wouldn't put too much stock in my masterful techniques.
    Last edited by Cassius; 12/07/2005 9:53pm at .

Posted On:
    12/07/2005 9:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dude, if i was a bjj'r i'd prolly only be close to a blue belt anyways.
    your knee bar description was confusing, but in essence what you are saying is go into a rolling kneebar?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2005 9:46pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have not really done much no gi stuff, but i underhook + grab wrist.

really jam the inside of your elbow up under thier shoulder to get the power, the wrist grab is mostly to get them going in the right direction, not really to generate kusishi
    Last edited by roly; 12/08/2005 12:19am at .

Posted On:
    12/07/2005 9:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dude, if i was a bjj'r i'd prolly only be close to a blue belt anyways.
    your knee bar description was confusing, but in essence what you are saying is go into a rolling kneebar?
    Yeah, I noticed it was kind of confusing. I'll try to clean it up.

The uchi mata (which is the throw I was talking about going into a rolling kneebar from) that I'm referring to is like this one (but with no gi, so the grips would be replaced with your preferred no gi grips): uchi mata

What I was trying to say is that what I do depends on what happens with the uchi mata attempt. If I get their leg far off the ground but they stay up because I **** up and can't throw them, I will go for the hip sweep (harai goshi). If I can't get their leg off the ground very far (in other words, If I can't get them off-balanced), I go for a rolling knee bar (although sometimes I go for a hip sweep anyway from here). I just decided to include the description of the kneebar from uchi mata for the hell of it.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast