Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 8:30am

Style: Hwardo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Meng, however, if that were the case, would there not be some weight transfer from the front foot to the back. It looks to me like when one foot goes to the back or side, there is almost no weight put on that foot, therefore, there balance would be off and they would also be taking away from their power because you cannot really turn the hips. I could be wrong but that is how I see it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 10:49am

Style: mixed +

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you look any better when you started?????

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 10:54am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps the footwork has something to do with positional balance? I know that weapons work can tend to cause some heavy imbalance, and using two sticks could seriously be unbalancing.

Maybe the foot is used as a "balancing pole" without excessive weight shifting or readjustment that might affect timing and placement of strikes? Kind of like lightly touching a chair for balance when first beginning to kick head high...you briefly touch it to stay balanced without leaning your entire body weight on it.

Of course, my FMA experience is non-existent, so I'm basically talking out of my ass.

software engineer

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 4:40pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog
    Thanks Meng, however, if that were the case, would there not be some weight transfer from the front foot to the back. It looks to me like when one foot goes to the back or side, there is almost no weight put on that foot, therefore, there balance would be off and they would also be taking away from their power because you cannot really turn the hips. I could be wrong but that is how I see it.
    Try throwing a cross without stepping forward, standing still. Then compare it to a cross where you throw the same-side foot back at the same time. No need to plant that foot for power or pushing forward, just step it back.
    I feel the stepping version is more balanced and quicker, maybe not more powerful.

Genius

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 5:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Using two sticks is not unbalancing at all. If anything, it's easier to stay balanced.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 12:34am

Style: I/L, Sayoc, Atienza FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Footloose!

In addition to what was mentioned above, the triangular footwork is also designed for you to zone out of harm's way while delivering a strike of your own.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 1:29am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    I don't think the footworks from either of these are what the kids are supposed to be doing. Still working on clipping mine.
    My examples and your examples are all from the same thing. They are variations of male or female triangles. Both of which are various simple footwork patterns.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

software engineer

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 3:06am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ru-Klas
    My examples and your examples are all from the same thing. They are variations of male or female triangles. Both of which are various simple footwork patterns.
    I didn't see anything in those clips where the person stood in place and move his feet about the triangle (or in the kids' case, in a buttkick manner). The footwork technique might be the same, but it didn't involve a person standing in place and milling their feet around.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 7:23pm

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arnis like that in this video makes me sad :(

I don't know what I'm looking at but it sure doesn't look like redondo, though it could be the 'short' redondo.

As you get better you're expected to use proper footwork (I have no idea what footwork that *edit* kid *end edit* is supposed to be using), the strikes fluid but FULL (as in you're not cheating the movement to make it look fast but losing all the power), and landing the strikes on nearly the same spot every time.

One thing we're to never do is put one foot behind the other like the fat kid is doing - because it throws you off balance and a simple shove will knock you over.

But hey, I'm just intermediate in Arnis, so maybe I just misunderstand their movements.

Then again, my teacher is so anal retentive about minor mistakes in the basics it kind of carries over to the students, you know?

Just my 2c.
    Last edited by saturnjunkie; 12/16/2005 10:40pm at .

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 10:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    I didn't see anything in those clips where the person stood in place and move his feet about the triangle (or in the kids' case, in a buttkick manner). The footwork technique might be the same, but it didn't involve a person standing in place and milling their feet around.
    :icon_scra That's the point, they were doing very very half ass triangular footwork. Take an FMA class or 20 and you'll understand.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast