Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2005 9:08am

Style: I/L, Sayoc, Atienza FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The footwork.... *barely*.... *by the smallest of margins*... resembles the Male Triangle common in Kali. Although the way the kids did it, it looked more like an ice-skating duck.

*shrug* At least the kids are getting exercise.... the one on the left looked like he needed it anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 10:19am

Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While the technique is certainly poor, and this certainly qualifies as Bullshido, one does have to realize that we're sitting here, busy, on the internet, criticizing the lame technique of kids that can't be more than ten years old. Yeah, that stick stuff is nonsense, and truth-be-told, I learned some nonsense staff techniques when I was a kid too (I didn't have the honor of double stick tapping like these kids though).

In retrospect, however, I can't imagine my ever learning to hit something hard with a staff, much less taking it seriously. Likewise, I can't imagine this instructor ever being popular giving kids double sticks and then "properly" teaching them what to do with said weapons.

"You mean the closest target is the hands? So I should smack my friends fingers?"

Not saying he's doing a good job or anything. But since they're ten, I could care less.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 12:31pm

Style: tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

true enough

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shaft
    While the technique is certainly poor, and this certainly qualifies as Bullshido, one does have to realize that we're sitting here, busy, on the internet, criticizing the lame technique of kids that can't be more than ten years old. Yeah, that stick stuff is nonsense, and truth-be-told, I learned some nonsense staff techniques when I was a kid too (I didn't have the honor of double stick tapping like these kids though).

In retrospect, however, I can't imagine my ever learning to hit something hard with a staff, much less taking it seriously. Likewise, I can't imagine this instructor ever being popular giving kids double sticks and then "properly" teaching them what to do with said weapons.

"You mean the closest target is the hands? So I should smack my friends fingers?"

Not saying he's doing a good job or anything. But since they're ten, I could care less.

The only thing that I can think this would be good for was reflexes and focus. Loose focus = get whacked. Maybe the chicken scratching was a prelude to training them to be light on their feet. I feel sorta bad laughing at kids, but it was pretty strange looking.....

Posted On:
    12/12/2005 4:34pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    they all have TKD style uniforms on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 11:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The MMA kid!
    they all have TKD style uniforms on.
    Why yes.... yes they do.... *scratches head* :icon_roll

software engineer

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 1:04pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    Why yes.... yes they do.... *scratches head* :icon_roll
    It's probably hard to get kiddie-size FMA uniforms (does any FMA org even have uniforms?).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 1:46pm

Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh come now, let's stop skirting around the bush.

TKD/TSD sucks. :icon_razz

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 6:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    It's probably hard to get kiddie-size FMA uniforms (does any FMA org even have uniforms?).
    Hmm... not really. Sometimes only for demos I'd imagine they put on some sort of traditional Filipino garments that might resemble martial arts uniforms... but most schools nowadays just ask for a school T-shirt to be worn during training sessions.

I remember in Prof. Remy Presas book "Modern Arnis" he wore some fancy uniforms... don't know if that's just for the book or if everybody wears one when they train...

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 7:20pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Almost all of the old Filipino masters that I've met have been partial to Addidas track warm-up suits. Sometimes paired with a club T-Shirt.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 8:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I swear I've been looking around for good Arnis/eskrima clips to post.To give at least a good representation of what "IT" is supposed to look like.But with no luck at all.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast