Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 5:57am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
    Having sparred with poles I'll tell you this much for free. A heavy pole used to poke/thrust someone requires strength from the legs for the power. There is no rotational energy in the strike, and the benefits of its heaviness are largely lost. However, a heavy pole used in a high-low attack on the head gets a lot of power without any rotational force, simply through gravity. Now IF the guy in the picture has good footwork, and he did a very good step in for the thrust, then I'll say he has the upper hand. Instead it looks like he is standing staticly and jabs the guy in the upper ribs, while the nice either guy is desperately trying to stop his staff from falling on to his face.

Also, in a pole vs pole fight its a good idea to try and deflect the other persons pole away from you before you thrust... that way you can to do it with little risk. The art to doing it is to use the pole more like a fishing pole... you cast it back to deflect, and cast it in to strike. The casting in action might be a high-low strike, or it might be a thrust.
    Good explanation. Although I wouldn't try and knock the person's pole away.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 6:41am

Style: WSL Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamon Guy
    Good explanation. Although I wouldn't try and knock the person's pole away.
    Why is that? Most of the standard movements of the pole form are designed to knock the opponent's pole away, right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 7:27am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabogganwheel
    Why is that? Most of the standard movements of the pole form are designed to knock the opponent's pole away, right?
    I prefer to stick with the opponents pole and slip round it. Like pak sao - if you knock someones hands away they can counter or absorb the energy coming towards them.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    116 Wing Tsun Dummy TechniquesL:as demonstrated by G.M. Yip Man, by Master Yip Chun, technical advisor Dr. Leung Ting. 1981. page 9, says:

See? I knew you were using a creative dictionary.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 3:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

wing chun lineage disciple web site link

it's spelled correctly as well as the more popular spelling of wing chun.

ts is pronounced as ch, depending on the Chinese to English way of romanizing it, I think.

By the way, no disrespect to wing chun, but why does lineage disciple Sifu Tony Massengil, www.massmartialarts.com have to have a "buffet-style" school if wing chun is such a great art?

He has his lineage on his site.
    :Wing Chun Kung Fu Grandmaster Ip (Yip) Man was the teacher
    of the legendary "King of Kung Fu" BRUCE LEE.

After more than two decades of teaching in Hong Kong, Grandmaster Ip Man passed away at the age of 72 on December 2, 1972. His small Kung Fu Association grew and gave birth to thousands of Wing Chun practitioners around the world

In the United States the Ip Man system of Wing Chun is overseen by the Traditional Ip Man Wing Chun Association, Headed by Grandmaster Ip Ching and his Disciple, Master Samuel Kwok. Master Kwok's student, Sifu Tony Massengill represents that association in the United States.

also,Sifu Tony has a big problem with stealing copy and images from other sites. for example, on the "our facility" link at the bottom of Tony's web site he posts pictures of local McDojos and covers up their painted walls with his own gif.s!

Watch out for this Sifu, he may be authentic, but he has become a McDojo - or can I say a grandbuffet-guan!

(guan or wu guan = kwon = kwoon = dojo)

plus, check out his weight loss pictures that he posted of himself!
    :eatbaby:

software engineer

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by simo
    ts is pronounced as ch, depending on the Chinese to English way of romanizing it, I think.
    I know of no romanization system that does that with a j following it.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 8:12pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    See? I knew you were using a creative dictionary.
    Master Ip Chun is a funny guy? o, its that Leung Ting that makes you laugh, ok, fine....

As to the long poles, as I said, I have to assume he countered first, then strikes. He is poseing for the picture so of coarse he looks "static".

If Tank top could hit him them he would have. :sleepy1:

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 10:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Master Ip Chun is a funny guy? o, its that Leung Ting that makes you laugh, ok, fine....

As to the long poles, as I said, I have to assume he countered first, then strikes. He is poseing for the picture so of coarse he looks "static".

If Tank top could hit him them he would have. :sleepy1:

I have spent enough time personally with Ip Chun to know that he has a very wry sense of humor. I also know that his command of English barely extends beyond, Reebok, Nike, Calvin Klein, Members Only, Coca-Cola, Adidas, etc. (his joke, not mine - he read right up the labels on his clothing to show me he knew enough English :smile:).

Is Leung Ting funny? It is obvious from his videos he intentionally tries to be. So, that's a good question.

For English, I prefer to stick to a person named Webster and/or a place called Oxford. So, if you now wish to argue about how the "pile" is really some sort of foundation w/you on top being some sort of building (or, even better: You atop a pile are really a control rod preventing a meltdown), then I'll gladly retract my statement that you are using a creative dictionary and instead suggest that you alone are being creative.

As for the other single frame, I couldn't give a rat's tail pole who might be able to hit whom based upon a glance. So, I think you were addressing someone else.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 12/13/2005 1:01pm at .

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 9:59pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it is Ip Chuns book........but if he knows little English, then I guess Ting wrote it for him.

anyway, the point is balance, as in piled up.

and yes the pole talk was directed at others.....

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 12:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    anyway, the point is balance, as in piled up.
    So, if I am to understand you correctly, you mean a heap of things laid or lying upon one another in a disorganized fashion.

Isn't balancing on a pile of that really part of the super-secret drunken form?

:smile:
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456