Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 6:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jan de Jong

Has anyone ever heard of or trained at Jan de Jong (www.jandejong.com.au) in Perth?

They teach some style of Ju Jutsu. I have tried a couple of classes of shoot and BJJ which I enjoyed however they were too far from where I live to do regularly. I want to do something that I can mix in with strking skills from boxing so some form of submission seems the way to go.

I did a free class at Jan de Jong which was mostly stand up submission... block an attackers punch, take them to ground and apply a wrist or shoulder lock. It seemed ok but I as suspicious of actually using a double hand block to setup up a submission on someone with real striking skills.

From talking with the trainers (senseis) they do seem quite realistic in what they can and cant do. What does leaving me wondering is that they claim to be a self defence school, however they were gi's, belts and bare feet. Why wear this when a self defence situation will likely involve normal clothing and wearing shoes?

Input appreciated, I dont want to waste anytime with another Bullshido.

Cheers,
    beers.
    Last edited by beer; 12/27/2005 7:14am at . Reason: Additional information

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 7:55am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never went to any of his seminars, but I remember seeing posters of him around the place. In it he was depicted using escrima sticks in an ice-pick grip.

I couldn't help but laugh at how BS that was.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 7:57am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like "normal" JJJ to me. I train at a similiar school (different organisation) right now (mainly because they do a bit of ne waza, and some friends train there). It's not bad, but it is not quite the same as MMA or cross-training. I'd take up judo instead if I were you. I'm going to....

The point with wearing gi is that they are doing ju jutsu after all, not RBSD.

EDIT: Definitly go for the Judo. The prices seem high as hell, hell, I pay half of their monthly fee for half a year of training. Oh, and their women's self defense pictures seem weird as hell.
    Last edited by Mosquito; 12/27/2005 8:00am at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard that Jan De Jong (the man, not the school) was actually quite skilled and knew what he was doing. How much of that carried over to the school I don't know. You might want to look for a nearby judo school, it'll be a lot cheaper.

I'm surprised there's no BJJ schools near you, they seem to be popping up all over the place in Perth lately.

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 11:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Halogen
    I'm surprised there's no BJJ schools near you, they seem to be popping up all over the place in Perth lately.
    There's Academy of Mixed Martial Arts (www.mixedmartialarts.com.au) which teach Machado BJJ by a brown belt which is about 30 mins drive away however there prices are steep aswell.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 1:17am

Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My mate goes to that jujitsu place. It is acutally quite good, I've sparred with him a bit and he does know quite alot. However I'm not sure if that has to do with his 3 years training here or 6 years in sweden.

Either way, I watched their demo and it was pretty good. that Academy place looks really good. I'm planning on starting up there soon hopefully. Mainly because it has the casual classes option, which is what I need because I'm only going to be in Perth 1 out of every 3 weeks next year.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 5:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by beer
    There's Academy of Mixed Martial Arts (www.mixedmartialarts.com.au) which teach Machado BJJ by a brown belt which is about 30 mins drive away however there prices are steep aswell.
    There's a few more than just the Academy.

http://www.davesbjj.com/forum/viewtopic.php3?t=1570

That page has a list of bjj clubs in Perth, scattered around the place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 5:44am

Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, why do they all have to be so far away! I'm near Hillarys...These places are all in bloody vic park, cannington, bunbury.....Looks like I'm sticking with The Academy. Halogen, where do you train?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 9:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by srichards
    . Halogen, where do you train?
    At the moment I'm doing some fairly informal classes once a week with an old instructor of mine at this tiny little gym in northbridge. I'm thinking of picking up kickboxing at a place in freo in the new year since I don't get to do much sparring at the moment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 6:48pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Here is what concerns me.....

Treatments

Scenar treatment is the latest non invasive bio feedback TGA approved equipment. We have two fully trained staff to offer treatment for a multitude of aliments.

SCENAR'S new reflex bio-feedback uses interactive and intelligent energy-neuro-stimulation to reduce pain, increase functionality and activate healing FAST

The SCENAR (Self-Controlled Energo Neuro Adaptive Regulator) was developed in Russia during the space race and today it is used there as a mainstream medical modality with many applications.

SCENAR Communicates Directly with the Body's Healing System

Our health relies on the continuous exchange of information within the body. Each and every function of the body is interrelated and works in harmony with other functions - that is until stress, injury or disease disrupts that communication. The SCENAR communicates with all functions of the body through direct contact on the skin, tuning into the body's inner communication, and understanding the body's needs from the signals being sent back and forth. The SCENAR responds to these signals accordingly with gentle electrical impulses that communicate with the nervous system to stimulate the body's own healing process, so your body can operate with maximum efficiency once again.

This process used by the SCENAR is called 'Reflex Biofeedback™', which is an ongoing, reflex conversation that proceeds at real-time, in biological speed and requires no conscious mental activity.

SCENAR Results Speak for Themselves

The Russian experience has proven that the SCENAR accelerates the successful healing of acute illnesses, traumas and injuries. It also enables the user to search out the 'unfinished business' of past, incomplete, healing processes that may be interfering with normal functions.

The SCENAR is further credited with vastly reducing recovery times. In accident and emergency wards in Russia, its ability to aid recovery is used to help those with burns, fractures, insect bites, allergic reactions, cardiac arrest, trauma, coma and many types of sports related injuries.

SCENAR is the Talk of the Health Profession
    – from the clinic to the sports field

The experience of practitioners throughout the world suggests impressive results in the treatment of a variety of conditions including: muscular-skeletal, circulatory, respiratory, digestive, urinary and genital, neurological, ENT, skin conditions and dental problems. It has also been found to be beneficial with endocrine, nutritional and metabolic disorders as well as stress and depression.

SCENAR is Simple & Safe – Your Future is in Your Hands

The SCENAR is simple and safe to use. The device is equipped with numerous settings and modes which, combined with the basic interactive function of the system, ensures the body does not adapt to the treatment as it does with many other therapies. SCENAR Therapies help your body to heal itself by speaking your body's language.

Further information please contact us

I am not a firm believer in Biofeedback as a good treatment method. You might check them out and tell us what you think though.

PT
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast