Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2005 4:46pm

Style: Goju

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sekai Shindo-Ryu Karate-Do Renmei

Didn't find anything already here in a search on this...could I ask bullshidoists to work their magic and give opinion on this place...and what exactly is this? corporate TMA?:
    http://www.shindoryu.org

background:
    http://www.shindoryu.org/founder.htm

thanks.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    12/06/2005 5:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know what to think to be honest.But the founder looks like a typical hard ass who grew up in a tough town and it looks like from the tatoos might have a few interesting stories to tell.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/06/2005 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hard to tell just from what's on the page.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    12/06/2005 6:04pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This might make me a little concerned:

Stephen Grayston first started training in Karate in 1964 aged 8...

...Tanaka-kyoshi presented Grayston with a black belt on 6th February 1969

Five years is not terribly off in the amount of time to get a blackbelt. But this would mean he got his black at 13 years old, which is a bit young.

It does appear that he trained under other instructors in karate for at least 20 years before teaching on his own and formulating his own system. This is commendable, as he should have had a solid foundation by then. Of course, nothing is guaranteed.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    12/06/2005 7:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any style that doesn't show any pictures of clips of sparing in it's class should be suspect IMO.

Posted On:
    12/06/2005 11:05pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, you have every right to be suspicious. In most Koryu arts there is one 10th dan, and this 10th dan can trace his "10th dan-ness" through a big long line of people that were GIVEN their 10th dan.

Of course, it doesn't mean the guy doesn't know his ****. For all we know, he could produce fighters on par with Kyokushinkai schools. It'd be nice if someone were able to visit his school.

software engineer

Posted On:
    12/06/2005 11:21pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintama
    How does one become 10th dan but claim to be teaching a budo art?
    I don't understand?

Posted On:
    12/07/2005 2:36pm

Style: AIKIDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    did anyone read the glossary? isn't hanmi an AIKIDO & kendo\kenziutu stance? P.S. kintamanoI.D.watiottosituredane?(kintama your I.D. is a little rude isn't it?
    Last edited by katsu; 12/07/2005 2:42pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2005 2:54pm

Style: Goju

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh, I'm sorry...I thought I was posting on bullshido.com
    wtf
    you guys gotta be shittin me.

Bakabakashii
    Last edited by Kintama; 12/07/2005 3:04pm at .

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    12/07/2005 3:56pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    No, you have every right to be suspicious. In most Koryu arts there is one 10th dan, and this 10th dan can trace his "10th dan-ness" through a big long line of people that were GIVEN their 10th dan.

Of course, it doesn't mean the guy doesn't know his ****. For all we know, he could produce fighters on par with Kyokushinkai schools. It'd be nice if someone were able to visit his school.

Although at some point, the guy who made his style had to say I'm 10th dan, or their students would assign them rank after their death, or the master would give that rank to a student sometime before his death (ie setup an heir).

There definatly have been people who have done something original that deserved the title they were given/gave themself. Just not any in the last few decades.

I think if I ever suddenly had an epiphany and created my own style of martial arts I would not give myself a rank. I would just call myself founder. Then when I was too old to train I would give 10th dan to my best student and perhaps the title soke just for shits and giggles.

But I dont really have a problem with someone calling themselves 10th dan in a style they created. You just have to look at the merit of the students of the style, if the style sucks then a 10th dan isn't really saying much is it? But if they kick ass, and its really an origianl style/org and he doesn't look like a normal 3th dan from some random karate linage then he should get called out and his balls busted.

People put too much worth in rank. I would much rather see how you move. My judo instructor says he can tell the rank of a judo player by watching him walk on mat. I've even seen my aikido instructor sniff out BS with a few simple questions to people who walk into our school. In the end the only thing that matters is if the guy really know his stuff, or is talking out his ass. The only way to see that is to do your research on what the art should look /be like, and go watch him.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast