Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2005 11:57am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

DC Metro area Muay Thai?

I know of Loyd Irving, Yamasaki, Mike Moses, and Magilla. These schools seem to focus on grappling.

Any gyms that focus on Muay Thai?
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2005 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what about Khun Kao's place? One Spirit i think

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, looks like I'll be training at khun Kao's soon.
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 4:41pm

Style: Martial Arts man!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea, go to Evolve - there thai boxing program is VERY active. There are a bunch of people that go there that only do thai boxing and there are a number of good fighters. Mike Moses and Amy Moses are both Black Belts under Master Chai. Master Chai also does a number of seminars there. It is a very cool school. And IMHO, the school should be known more for their thai boxing and pds classes, they are more popular than their BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 5:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THe are Black Belts in Muay Thai. The street ap class is about 80% Muay Thai and the rest is street application stuff. THe Muai Thai classes they teach are 100% Muay Thai.
    Mike Moses has a total of 7 Black Belts and is a lifetime martial artist. It's a great school.

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 6:32pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to join the evolve school. They might open a hagerstown school, but not sure if they are still doing that or not. Does anyone know what's up with the hagerstown location?

I want to learn the BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 7:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeezyTheSnowman
    The PDS classes are NOT muay thai. Not even remotely close. Its basically a jiujitsu, hapkido, JKD type hybrid style. Calling them muay thai, 80% or otherwise, would be a joke. Fortunately, they no longer do so. As far as belts go, muay thai doesn't use belts. His particular instructer MAY have, but I doubt it. Even if he DID earn a "black belt" its meaningless as the rest of the thai world only cares about one belt; the one in the ring.

Now, as for their thai classes, those ARE muay thai and they put out good fighters. However, don't confuse real muay thai with PDS muay thai.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Moses or his school, as I'm headed in there first thing tomorrow, but don't get all mixed up about what's what.

if you are headed there tomorrow, then why ask what their belts are in? Unless the classes have changed drastically, the classes are in fact about 80% MT. Almost all of the kicks and punches are MT, although sometimes they go over a bit of boxing only (different stance). They don't do MT for the ring, they do it geared toward the streets. In MT if you land kicks in a fight, they are given a lot more weight than punches. If you want to do MT, then this is a big difference. If you are on the street or fighting MMA, you are not going to worry about landing body kicks or head kicks (with the exception of a few fighters). PDS gives you the core of what you need to protect yourself. MT is taught for sport. They are very similar. From his school, I have not seen MT boxers 'fight' any better than PDS students. They all have the same base. The people that are training for a fight, of course have better conditioning.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 7:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    btw, the term jkd is way to vague, it is not a style. I don't see where they get anything from hapkido?
    Master Chai teaches some trapping like Dan Inosanto (he teaches Dan) - but that is still a part of MT. Just a different way of tying up. For instance, Greg Nelson teaches a different way of tying up than Master Chai.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 8:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listen, Master Chai has a Muay Thai program. You rise through a belt system much like any other TMA. He does this because it is nationwide, he does this to keep track of people. It is true, that being a BB in MT does not mean anything to the MT world. But as a student it shows me that a very well respected MT instructor (Master Chai) - deems this person good enough to teach. I don' t know where you got that Bio from because it is outdated (MMoses has been a BJJ Black Belt for a while now). He probably does not list his BB in MT because like you said to the MT world, it means nothing. It would probably be laughed at. As far as PDS vs MT, it's kind of an needless argument. Being that most/all MT fighters are in PDS. Sure the avg pds student would get swamped by a MT guy but that is only because the avg PDS person varies greatly. MT = 90% guys ages 20 to 35 (prime). PDS = Many young women and boys and older people. But the avg. PDS guy vs. a MT guy in MT, sure the MT guy would win but not because he was better but rather because he has a better grasp of the sport. I am not a full time member of his school but I can say that PDS has allowed me to utilize my hands very well (like a boxer). I can't kick worth a damn so MT is not the way for me (although learning the kicks teach me to defend). The MT guys are not at a different level, they just know MT better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2005 10:10pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Master Chai does not give out belts. Just stop.

From Master Chai's website (http://www.thaiboxing.com, in the FAQ section):

Does Muay Thai have belts?

Yes, definitely, but they can be a challenge to obtain. The belts are usually large and brightly colored, and Thai fighters are very proud of them and display them for pictures. International boxing belts include ISKA, USMTA, IMTA championship belts. In Thailand a stadium champion is considered similar to a title belt with the most coveted belts being those of the large Bangkok stadia of Rajdamnern and Lumpinee.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast