Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 4:32am

Style: Functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No Rules-Anything Goes-Are you ready ?

‘Knowledge is not power, the ability to apply your knowledge is true power.’

I am often surprised by how much the word ‘practical’ or ‘effective’ is used to describe a certain Martial Art system. While I agree that many fighting skills are practical and effective within realm of fighting, I question how practical these skills are within modern society and against an aggressive, skilful opponent.

People study Martial Arts for various reasons. The most prominent being for self defence purposes. Now if you are studying the Martial Arts to stand a better chance to defend yourself in the street try and answer the following questions to see if you think along the same lines as we do at JKD High Performance Street Fighting. Remember that when answering these questions there will never be a definitive ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ but try and answer them in a way that makes the most sense to you.
    · Is the Martial Arts primary purpose for impressiveness or effectiveness?
    · Do you think that Martial Arts is primarily derived as a sport or a self defence system?
    · For Self Defence should we only stick to the techniques that have been passed down through time, or should we just use whatever techniques work for the given situation?
    · If you want to know the effectiveness of a technique should you just take your instructors word or test it for yourself?
    · If you decide to test a technique, should the test be in a controlled, passive environment? Or should the test be in an environment that resembles a real, all out street fight?
    · The amount of possible techniques in Martial Arts is it limited or virtually unlimited?
    · The amount of time you have to train each week is it unlimited or limited?
    · If the time is limited should we prioritise which techniques and training methods we use? Shouldn’t we prioritise training the most probable scenarios along with the most useful techniques?

I have found that most people answer these questions in the same way.
    They conclude that most Martial Arts is supposed to be designed for effectiveness in the street using whatever techniques that will work regardless of their origin. You should test the techniques yourself in an environment close to a street confrontation. There is unlimited amount of Martial Arts techniques & combinations, but we have limited amount of time to practise them in and therefore we need to prioritise our training. In a real street fight or limited rules sporting event your opponent will resist your efforts 100%. The only way you can deal with that resistance is to practise against a resisting opponent. We make choices about which road we will take long before we take the step. Sometimes we make unconscious decisions and leave the rest up to fate. I hope that after answering the above questions sincerely you would make sure you are taking the right direction with your training to make sure you reach your goal. Just remember that ‘What is spectacular is not always practical. What is practical is not always spectacular’, and ‘If you want to learn how to fight make sure you train against somebody who is fighting back’

No Rules-Anything goes–Are you ready? is a guideline we use in all our gyms. The Martial Arts circuit has been taken by storm with all the no rules tournaments such as the likes of the Ultimate fighting challenges (UFC’s). These tournaments are great to see which techniques are effective when full resistance is applied but it is still just a tournament. These tournaments will most probably be the closest thing to a street fight but people must not misjudge it with an all out street fight. Let’s compare the two, Street fight vs. Tournament:
    · Ambushes vs. ready– time to prepare
    · No pre-fight posture vs. pre fight posture
    · No Rules vs. rules
    · All attacks & targets allowed vs. tournaments allow limited or no striking to eyes, throat & groin as well as pinching & biting
    · Unfavourable variables i.e. multiple opponents, assault, broken glass etc. vs. single opponent, agreed to allow attacks, arranged environment
    · Always be ready with no stretching or warming up vs. the luxury of warming up before your match.
    · No referee vs. Referee
    · No time limit vs. time limit
    · No divisions vs. divisions i.e. rank, weight etc.
    · Any time vs. tournament date

These are just a few differences, but I am sure you get the picture. So again make sure you monitor your training to ensure that you are training correctly for your goals that you have set. It doesn’t help training pre-arranged forms the whole time if you want to defend yourself in a violent street situation.

All our members at JKD High Performance Street Fighting train techniques that have a high chance of success in a real, all-out situation where life and limb are at stake. My aim and that of all the members of Jeet Kune Do Unlimited is to continue the work that Bruce Lee started and continue investigating the Martial Arts realm for those techniques, training methods and strategies that work in the environment of a street attack. A fight is full of resistance and you must practise against real resistance if you want to be able to protect yourself. Life is full of resistance too, so the lessons you learn training should translate directly to making you a more successful person. Enjoy the process, and apply what you have learned to all aspects of your life!

Morné Swanepoel
    President JKD High Performance Street Fighting
    JKD Unlimited High Performance Mixed Martial Arts
    Webiste www.jkd.co.za
    Email morne@jkdu.co.za

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 4:45am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool.

So what do you do to make your training more like what you could encounter in a random situation such as one might encounter in "real life?" Examples of drills/training practices?

Personally I have always thought it would be supremely humorous for some people I train with to get "ambushed" without warning in the middle of a rolling session. Might make them more mindful of their surroundings.

Then again, one must be careful to ensure that techniques can be done against a 100% resisting opponent (or opponents, I suppose). What do you do to ensure that your students do not spend so much time focusing on street reality that they are not competent 1 on 1 fighters?

Seems like you'd be balancing on a razor's edge, considering how long it takes to learn how to fight someone in a controlled setting.

Edit: This is coming from someone who does not do martial arts primarily (hell, or even secondarily) as a means of self-defense.
    Last edited by Cassius; 12/05/2005 4:49am at .

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 4:49am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great.. Another RBSD asshole.

I'm pretty sure you and your class full of boyfriends practice eye gouging each other while battling multiple ninja opponents over a pit of lava and broken glass.

All I can say is, try to poke me in the eye, bite me or pull out the ninja smoke, when I slam someone into concrete and try to get to the contents of their head.

Do some actual MMA fighting, then tell me how unrealistic it is. And as Omega says, JKD sucks.
    Last edited by Equipoise; 12/05/2005 4:53am at .

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 8:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HI there,

Thanks for your positive response Egg Nog. Good question, how is one to train. Well unlike Equipoise believes we do, one needs to understand that the way you train is the way you are going to fight. Just practising some eye gouging like Equipoise puts it will not save your butt. So one needs a basis to train from against a resisting opponent progressively. The basis of our training methods and techniques is exactly as a no rules fighter. One needs to add the extra flavor in of street environment i.e Multiple opponents, working against a wall, using your opponents clothing, looking at superior positioning, thinking about submitting ones opponent via chokes instead of pain compliance techniques like arms bars etc. , working against ambush attacks, working against weapons, working in different environments and lighting just to name a few. A Great way is to simulate real situations and using a resisting opponent to test one skill in a unfamiliar or randam attack situation. Setting up a training scene at a ATM, sitting on a train/bus is easy and exciting and one just needs to use some imagination to make it really effective.
    Egg Nog as you mentioned being ambushed or attacked while you are rolling with one partner is a excellent training drill. One tends to pace yourself one on one while rolling as soon as another one climbs in everything changes. Are their weapons involved ? Are there more coming ? I coach my students to learn to escape as first option. Get two guys to pin you on the ground and escape from there as a performance game....awesome workout !

Equipoise just for the record, although we primarily train for the street some of my students also compete in No Rules, KicKBoxing and submission Wrestling matches. Maybe if you read my article again you will see what i really believe in. MMA is the base we train from but competing and fighting in the street is different. I fully agree the majority of JKD schools out there is not training the real thing and shouldn't even call themselves JKD schools. Just as there are many MMA schools out there using MMA as a drawing card for the promoting of their school.
    Please visit my website at www.jkd.co.za and i am sure you will see we are on the same side!

Kindest Regards
    Morné
    Last edited by morne; 12/05/2005 8:53am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 8:53am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have a newsletter, I will send a self addressed stamped envelope.

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 8:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Keinhaar,

Yes we do have a dynamic electronic newsletter that is sent out every two weeks or so. Send me your email address to morne@jkdu.co.za and i wil make sure you are subscribed and receive them. Or you are able to subscribe to it on the front page of our website.

Kindest Regards
    Morné
    www.jkd.co.za

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 9:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by morne

‘Knowledge is not power, the ability to apply your knowledge is true power.’

I am often surprised by how much the word ‘practical’ or ‘effective’ is used to describe a certain Martial Art system. While I agree that many fighting skills are practical and effective within realm of fighting, I question how practical these skills are within modern society and against an aggressive, skilful opponent.

People study Martial Arts for various reasons. The most prominent being for self defence purposes. Now if you are studying the Martial Arts to stand a better chance to defend yourself in the street try and answer the following questions to see if you think along the same lines as we do at JKD High Performance Street Fighting. Remember that when answering these questions there will never be a definitive ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ but try and answer them in a way that makes the most sense to you.
    · Is the Martial Arts primary purpose for impressiveness or effectiveness?
    · Do you think that Martial Arts is primarily derived as a sport or a self defence system?
    · For Self Defence should we only stick to the techniques that have been passed down through time, or should we just use whatever techniques work for the given situation?
    · If you want to know the effectiveness of a technique should you just take your instructors word or test it for yourself?
    · If you decide to test a technique, should the test be in a controlled, passive environment? Or should the test be in an environment that resembles a real, all out street fight?
    · The amount of possible techniques in Martial Arts is it limited or virtually unlimited?
    · The amount of time you have to train each week is it unlimited or limited?
    · If the time is limited should we prioritise which techniques and training methods we use? Shouldn’t we prioritise training the most probable scenarios along with the most useful techniques?

I have found that most people answer these questions in the same way.
    They conclude that most Martial Arts is supposed to be designed for effectiveness in the street using whatever techniques that will work regardless of their origin. You should test the techniques yourself in an environment close to a street confrontation. There is unlimited amount of Martial Arts techniques & combinations, but we have limited amount of time to practise them in and therefore we need to prioritise our training. In a real street fight or limited rules sporting event your opponent will resist your efforts 100%. The only way you can deal with that resistance is to practise against a resisting opponent. We make choices about which road we will take long before we take the step. Sometimes we make unconscious decisions and leave the rest up to fate. I hope that after answering the above questions sincerely you would make sure you are taking the right direction with your training to make sure you reach your goal. Just remember that ‘What is spectacular is not always practical. What is practical is not always spectacular’, and ‘If you want to learn how to fight make sure you train against somebody who is fighting back’

No Rules-Anything goes–Are you ready? is a guideline we use in all our gyms. The Martial Arts circuit has been taken by storm with all the no rules tournaments such as the likes of the Ultimate fighting challenges (UFC’s). These tournaments are great to see which techniques are effective when full resistance is applied but it is still just a tournament. These tournaments will most probably be the closest thing to a street fight but people must not misjudge it with an all out street fight. Let’s compare the two, Street fight vs. Tournament:
    · Ambushes vs. ready– time to prepare
    · No pre-fight posture vs. pre fight posture
    · No Rules vs. rules
    · All attacks & targets allowed vs. tournaments allow limited or no striking to eyes, throat & groin as well as pinching & biting
    · Unfavourable variables i.e. multiple opponents, assault, broken glass etc. vs. single opponent, agreed to allow attacks, arranged environment
    · Always be ready with no stretching or warming up vs. the luxury of warming up before your match.
    · No referee vs. Referee
    · No time limit vs. time limit
    · No divisions vs. divisions i.e. rank, weight etc.
    · Any time vs. tournament date

These are just a few differences, but I am sure you get the picture. So again make sure you monitor your training to ensure that you are training correctly for your goals that you have set. It doesn’t help training pre-arranged forms the whole time if you want to defend yourself in a violent street situation.

All our members at JKD High Performance Street Fighting train techniques that have a high chance of success in a real, all-out situation where life and limb are at stake. My aim and that of all the members of Jeet Kune Do Unlimited is to continue the work that Bruce Lee started and continue investigating the Martial Arts realm for those techniques, training methods and strategies that work in the environment of a street attack. A fight is full of resistance and you must practise against real resistance if you want to be able to protect yourself. Life is full of resistance too, so the lessons you learn training should translate directly to making you a more successful person. Enjoy the process, and apply what you have learned to all aspects of your life!

Morné Swanepoel
    President JKD High Performance Street Fighting
    JKD Unlimited High Performance Mixed Martial Arts
    Webiste www.jkd.co.za
    Email morne@jkdu.co.za

What is your point?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 9:06am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KeinHaar
    If you have a newsletter, I will send a self addressed stamped envelope.
    :owneddanc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 9:08am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll be in Durban Jan/Feb, I may drop by if I get the chance.

Personally I would advise you to drop all the Bruce Lee references from your website, and concentrate instead on what you do, and what you don't.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 9:09am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    What is your point?

considering where asshole Posted it ... I am assuming he is saying its all a bunch of Bullshit .. right ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast