Canuckistanian Refugee

Posted On:
    12/04/2005 9:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, JKD Concepts, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Got any BJJ flow drills to share?

Last week we worked on a really cool flow drill. I'd not done a flow-drill previously and not only was it fun to learn, it also opened-up a new series of counter opportunities when we switched to rolling.

In a nutshell it went roughly like this. One person on their back, the other on the side about to move into side control. As soon as the person goes to deepen their side control, person on the bottom moves to kimura. As soon as the kimura is in place, person on top steps over into an armbar. As soon as the armbar is about to be locked, person on bottom rolls out and places opponent into footlock. As they go to sit down and lock in the sub...other person uses their momentum to sit-up and spin over into a knee-bar. Again, just as the kneebar is about to be locked, person sumersaults out of it...you guessed it...back to side control and the drill begins again. The flow enables each person to take each position in two rounds of the drill.

Anyone do any other varieties?
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
    ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

Whether it is a good thing or a bad thing, smashing things up is sometimes very pleasant.
    ~Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    12/04/2005 11:37pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes my coach has just started doing this, he feels that he wants to start showing us progressions like this more often so we can learn to flow easily into different submissions.

Ours went from one guy doing a straight ankle lock after breaking guard, then bottom defends pull leg out and next guy goes for straight ankle lock in the same manner, then guy getting subbed sits up grabs knee, pushes off foot, sits out and then pushes through into a triangle and or guard.

Something like this. I really liked it, and he has done some kimura's from guard and such, like guy on bottom with closed guard goes for kimura, person defends by grabbing their own knee, then the person going for kimura releases and goes for a reversal.

Stuff like that :P
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    12/04/2005 11:45pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    umm... armbar, omaplata, triangle?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 12:02am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about listing some flow drills to work technique and transitions? I'll start:

Pass Guard - Recover Guard - Pass other side - cont.

Bridge and roll from under mount - Arm under pass - Cradle - Bottom person breaks cradle by kicking out, mount as they do it - Bottom man bridges and rolls - cont

From mount Armbar - Bottom man defends with hand on head and pushing the leg over with elbow - Pass guard - mount - cont.

From Guard triangle - Triangle escape - Pass guard - mount - bottom man rolls - triangle from guard - cont.

Elbow escape from mount - Sweep - Elbow escape from mount - cont.

Reverse Cross side (facing legs) - side mount - cross side - north/south - cross side other side - side mount - Reverse cross side - back the other way.

Knee on belly - jump over to knee on belly other side - back the other way

Knee on belly, around the top to other side, back and forth

Closed guard - Butterfly Guard - sit up and double leg to side mount - recover guard - butterfly guard - cont.

Hip throw to side mount - recover guard - stand up from bottom retaining clinch - hip throw - cont.

Duck under, back throw, shrimp escape, schissor sweep, Bridge & Roll, Arm under pass, knee drive to mount, Elbow escape, hip bump, trap arm around neck, take back, turn into guard, break and stand up, repeat <- that one I put together for the kids class to get some repetition of the basic stuff I wanted in ;)

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 1:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as you are drilling with resistance.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 1:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosexmachina
    As long as you are drilling with resistance.
    There is a time for both, and while resistance should always be the goal, repetition against a non-resisting person is rather useful too.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 2:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe for n00bs.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 9:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guess you see no point in working a jab or basic punching combo in front of a mirror either?

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think drilling techniques like this are good for a warm-up at the start of class.

Canuckistanian Refugee

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 5:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, JKD Concepts, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry Chaos...I think you're wrong on this one. Flow drills and other drills are a great part of learning BJJ...they significantly help your game and can be done at varying degrees of resistance. And no...it isn't just for noobs...besides...you don't even do BJJ do you?
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
    ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

Whether it is a good thing or a bad thing, smashing things up is sometimes very pleasant.
    ~Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast