Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2005 4:47am

Style: Full contact Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

F*ck Pride?

Would you swallow your pride just to teach? After 31 years training in various styles;
    Northern Preying Mantis
    Shoto Kan Karate Do
    Tae Kwon Do & Hapkido
    Full Contact Kickboxing and Shoot fighting
    American Kempo
    Arnis
    I started at age 12 and at 43 have have Managed several schools and had my own school for 5 Yrs.
    My school was MMA with Boxing
    My school was Non Profit and Most of my students were from the hood of S. Philly.
    Decided to move to Florida and since have trained only private students.
    Have been to many schools down here to try to get some space to train, but as soon as I mention MMA the door slams in my face.
    They are only interested in TKD( horribly watered down version at that) or Cardio Kick boxing. They are only interested if I will be willing to learn to teach kids their lousy styles. For the last 6 years I said F that and was happy to train the rare few that could get the time, and could put up with some intense training. My students never had worse then a strain or bloody nose though.
    It has been quite awhile since I have been able to get any steady students so I
    stopped into the 100th school to see if they would give me some floor time.
    This school was listed on Remy's site and I figured at worst maybe I can find a Kali instructor. Well thier Arnis instructor just quit, and all they have are mixed Adult and Kiddie classes in TKD.
    The head instructor told me he wouldn't let me teach MMA cause he says(hear this over and over) that there is no money in MMA. I don't agree.
    He will let me teach only if I teach TKD, but I have to learn the POOMES instaed of the Hyung's or Heian's I have taught for the last 15 yrs. I used them for begiiners,even changed all the reverse punches to Jabs,crosses.hooks and uppercuts. Hell I havn't even worn a Gi in 12 yaers, Bare feet? No thanks.
    I got tired of broken toes and foot fungus along time ago.
    Should I swallow my pride and hope I can sneak my MMA in, (which pissed off my former instructor till he saw the light. years later)or just forget about it until I can find a gym that will let me do my own thing? Should an old dog learn New tricks? The trick here is that if I teach for this school he will let my kids train for free. Is it worth it? He has 100's of kids and I cant find anyone who wants to train 'Street" in Orlando.
    Confused and getting Fat.
    Sharki
    Last edited by Sharki; 12/04/2005 5:01am at .

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    12/04/2005 4:52am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA, all the way.

If you build it, they will come...
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2005 5:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what? After reading my own post I am pissed that I even would even think about it. If seeing 10 yr old BB'S wasn't bad enough, made me want to barf, just the fact the" no contact for insurance reason " so we will just teach crap, of today's Karate for profit additude, makes me want move back to the hood. Where people NEED to learn how to really DEFEND THEMSELVES.
    Untill I remember that even the 10 yr, old kids were carrying Glock 9's and dealing crack.
    MMA ALL THE WAY INDEED. But in orlando it's TKD or TAEBO that buy these instructors thier Volvo's. I will be looking for a little place to teach anyone willing to learn what real MMA is about. I don't claim to be the Ultimate 10th Dan killing machine, but I love the sweet smell of a great workout when EVERYONE learns.

Sharki
    Last edited by Sharki; 12/04/2005 5:34am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2005 5:34am

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to post this following post, then my comp froze and you posted again. I am going to post what I wrote for the hell of it. But I am confused what you are trying to teach and why. Is it MMA for competition or what?

What are your goals for teaching MMA? Is it to make money for a living, just to break even, or just for the love of teaching? What are your goals for your students? (Competition, competent MAists, etc.?)

If you want to teach at someone else's school you need to learn to play by his rules or leave. It is their school. It is still possible to teach "traditional" martial art curriculum and teach some of what you want, but you have to be clever with it. Take the basic techniques and as the class advances do more "advance" forms of the techniques. Like turn the lunge and reverse punches from a front stance into jab/cross combos from a MMA/boxer stance against hand targets. Do some bag work with the kicks and show them the different ways (I.E. Muay Thai and other methods) of kicking and different striking surfaces. For ground work just teach them how to work their strikes (like elbow strikes) from the ground. Call it SD for women or teaching some of the smaller kids how to handle bigger kids if they get on top of them. For take down defense, aside from the "step out of the way" stuff, teach them to sprawl and stuff with the intention of learning how to prevent getting taken down and setting up your strikes.

It may not be the MMA training you are looking for, but you can still teach many elements of it unless the guys is one of those people who don't let their students spar and focus only on forms.

I would suggest to open your own gym/club though. You keep the money you earn, you make the rules.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2005 6:34am

Style: Goju Kai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dont comprimise. You won't enjoy having to do something someone else wants you to teach and, chances are, it will reflect on the people you teach. Its just a shame you can't find anyone, but I'd say unless youve exhausted ALL avenues and possibilities for teaching MMA/whatever and opening up yer own school isnt gonna happen, dont settle for teaching it.

On the other hand, if the bills need to be paid and it looks bleak, you'll have to whore out your TKD, for lack of a better verb :P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2005 6:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never was out for the money. I don't really love teaching as much as I love to share my knowledge, and to learn from others.
    My school was open to anyone who wanted to learn. If you wanted to train towards, point fighting, Kick boxing, Boxing, Wrestling, Forms,weapons,ect., I could train you or had connections to get you where you wanted go.
    In my school I encouraged instructors to teach, as long as they could walk the walk.
    I sent my students to different schools so they could see different styles and how other instructors taught.
    I tried to be clever before and got tossed out of my original school, because alot of students started to come only to my classes. The head instructor finally started to train in BJJ and saw the light.
    My goals for any student, or Blood Brothers as I like to call them, is that they find out what the best WAY for them will be. We all have different goals and I tried to give them as many opportunities as I could.
    We trained hard but ,nothing in life that has real worth is easy.
    You can say what you will about Bruce Lee, but he had a lust to keep learning, and was not afraid to learn something new.
    I just feel that this school will be a step back and life is too short. But I really,really .really think the old ways before Belts,Money,Ego, when you met in a yard or park after work and rolled with your fellows and respected the elders for having the experience to teach,
    sharki

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2005 11:23am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is getting a place of your own and doing what you like not an option? Do you have to work for someone else's school?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2005 11:30am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    boxing gyms or wrestling clubs would be more likely to let you train, im sure. give them a ring-a-ding.

Posted On:
    12/04/2005 12:08pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Why is getting a place of your own and doing what you like not an option? Do you have to work for someone else's school?" ~~Xiangfei

Probably becase rent costs way too much in Orlando.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 1:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been looking for a place in Orlando for 5 yrs. In Philly, even if it was in the Ghetto,I only paid 100.00 a month for a gym that was huge. Thats why I was able to taech the way I wanted, and offer underprivledged kids free boxing classes. No Federations, No Gi's, Just hard training if you wanted it.
    So far even crappiest storefront is 800 to 1000 a month. Add in insurance and utilities, I would have to have the Dreaded Little Ninja Karate Black Belt Club just to pay the rent.
    Add the fact that there are a least 100 Tae Kwon Do schools in the area,I would have to sell out one way or another. Most even have Daycare Karate, Yeeeeesh.
    And as of today, I got news that enables me to leave Orlando and head out to Anaheim.
    Back to the city and the city Fear that gives people the reason to learn Real MMA.
    YaaaaaaaaaaaHoooooooooo!!!!
    Out of this Right Wing Religious red neck area where the Confederate flag still waves.
    Sharki
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast