Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/04/2005 4:17pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by _Mick_
    The shin on their head can serve to flatten your opponent out and extend their arm. This can really be helpful on a big guy. And a face down armbar is probably the easiest way to get an armbar on a big dude. The only way I have been shown to do this involves using the gi, so I don't know about no gi.
    I was taught this as well. I definitely have more trouble going for the standard belly-down armbar with both my legs in the more conventional position than with shin to the head, but I'm also a pretty big guy, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Or maybe I am just screwing something up.

Posted On:
    12/04/2005 7:40pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i find that when they are stacking me, because I love this armbar so much I go with it and let them stack, because they do so much of the work for teh armbar for me allready.
    let your legs go baaaaaaack as if your letting your self roll over backwards (but don't) and then just secure the arm WHILE pivoting, and yank that fucking arm off. If it's your training partner be nice.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2005 8:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I was taught this as well. I definitely have more trouble going for the standard belly-down armbar with both my legs in the more conventional position than with shin to the head, but I'm also a pretty big guy, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Or maybe I am just screwing something up.
    It doesn't sound like you're screwing anything up, and I don't think it has anything to do with your size.

It depends on from where you're starting the armbar. I'd say that most belly-down armbars will be initiated with the shin to the side of the head and often finished that way. The exception would be if your opponent rolls, in that case you will often want to change your leg position accordingly.

I don't believe in absolutes when grappling. It's way too fluid with way too many variables to claim that there is only one definite way to do things.

However, I'd say that typically if you're initiating the armbar from the guard, regardless of whether you finish it belly-down or belly-up, you're legs will usually be in the orthodox position (over opponent's neck).

On the other hand, if you're going for the armbar from rear mount, you'll typically have the shin to the side of the head. Hopefully you'll be able to finish it that way by flattening your opponent out. However, if you have to roll your opponent, as soon as you complete the juji roll, you'll typically want to switch the one leg back to the orthodox position.

Posted On:
    12/04/2005 8:53pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    It doesn't sound like you're screwing anything up, and I don't think it has anything to do with your size.

It depends on from where you're starting the armbar. I'd say that most belly-down armbars will be initiated with the shin to the side of the head and often finished that way. The exception would be if your opponent rolls, in that case you will often want to change your leg position accordingly.

I don't believe in absolutes when grappling. It's way too fluid with way too many variables to claim that there is only one definite way to do things.

However, I'd say that typically if you're initiating the armbar from the guard, regardless of whether you finish it belly-down or belly-up, you're legs will usually be in the orthodox position (over opponent's neck).

On the other hand, if you're going for the armbar from rear mount, you'll typically have the shin to the side of the head. Hopefully you'll be able to finish it that way by flattening your opponent out. However, if you have to roll your opponent, as soon as you complete the juji roll, you'll typically want to switch the one leg back to the orthodox position.
    I would say that is probably exactly why I finish with the shin to the head more often.

I generally will set up sweeps off of failing armbars in the guard instead of trying to go belly down to finish, whereas I go for armbars from backmount when the opponent is trying to turtle fairly often. If he's smaller or not that strong I'll go with both legs in and try to roll him over (My reasoning here is safety. I feel like I have better control when my opponent is belly up), but if he's the same size as me or pretty strong, I'll go for the shin to the side of the head.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 1:05pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It may go without saying, but in general keep the leg on their head heavy (When you are going for the armbar from the guard). This help will mess up their attempts to stack you from the beginning, and lead to less times when you have to transition to belly down to begin with.

Then they will be upset. Now, when they are tense and pissed because they have a leg on their neck and head, do the transition, and it will be too late for them to defend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 10:51pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got into the face-down armbar position today (first time), and I basically had it except he had his hands together defending. If I were sitting on him in a standard armbar position, I know how to break that, but face-down I have no idea (seems like he could get out much easier from there). Are there specific face-down hand breaks for armbar, or do the same ones work?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12