Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 1:52pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not GnP it's the cage. Watch more Pride.

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 1:56pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bwerb
    I totally agree that it's common sense but...let the fighters fight. If they hit the ground and it isn't "thrilling"...let it play out. It's a great deal more realistic than allowing a ref to step in and let everyone regroup. That's all I'm saying.

Obviously in the ring/octagon/cage, there are rules, it's a sport after all, I'm just questioning making rules for fighting based upon what is more interesting to watch vs. rules which protect the participants. I see the MMA progressing towards the former instead of simply enforcing the latter.
    Personally I think GnP is a good test for BJJ, and a chance for it to evolve. It's a lot harder to grapple when someone is raining down bombs on your face. I don't see this as being a massive hit to BJJ. As long as you are being active, they are not going to stand you up.

I don't like it when they "reset" a fight if it gets interrupted for any reason, though. The fighters should always go back to the same position they were in at the time the fight was paused.

On the topic of letting fighters fight . . . I am pulled two ways here. I would love for referees to never have to stand fighters up, but some guys would get in there and lay and pray. It happened in the old UFC and would happen again, most likely. White has done a good job of making it clear that he doesn't want lay'n'prayers anymore, but it would still happen.

I think a better system would be to hit the fighters financially, like Pride does. As much as I hate the idea of paying fighters less, this method seems to work fairly well. Blatant disgusting stalling? Bam, yellow card. There went 10% of your money.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 5:08pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    It's not GnP it's the cage. Watch more Pride.
    I agree.
    ALSO...I'm not sure how long it will be, but there will be a time when nearly ALL fighters are equally high skilled in every situation.
    I don't think 20 years don't the road you will SEE lay n pray because if you **** up just a TINCY bit in someones gaurd you'll be fucked.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 5:13pm

Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only fighter I can think of who openly admits to forgoing submissions in order to smash your face in is Tito Ortiz. Ironically, nowadays he doesn't even do that; his current style is pure Lay & Pray, so he's the one more likely to be stood up, not so much the man on the bottom.

Chemist

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 6:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I figured a lot of the GNP'ing was due to

1) (as someone already mentioned) higher probability of success, ie punch someone in the face vs. armbar

and 2) softening someone up to apply the submission in an easier fashion, ie taking the back mount and punch them in the jaw several times before tying up for the RNC
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234