Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 12:53am

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It'll get broken down into glucose and/or stored as fat.
    This is true. But protein has a lot of uses to the body before the fat storing process, i.e growth, antibodies, energy (which is why people on strict protein diets don't get fat) and then fat. I'm leaving a lot out here, I know. I'm just saying, that if you are an active person, then you really have to be consuming a large excess in protein, and carbohydrates,which by the sounds of it, this person is not. Basically an active person should be getting at least 1-1.5 grams of protein a day.

Also, if you're changing your diet and increasing your protein intake, it's still important to pay attention to your total calories in a day. If you take in excess calories, they get stored as fat.

I don't think a person pisses out extra protein.
    Last edited by Tacitus; 12/03/2005 12:56am at .

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 2:32am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All she's saying is that unused protein (not just for muscle growth) will be turned into fat eventually.

1-1.5 is too much to be "at least". I only take in about .8 - 1 and I've already gained 15 lbs (with heavy lifting, of course).

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 3:41am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally think that is more than enough protein. I generally only supplement my diet with one shake a day(25g I think), maximum of two and I don't have any problems, I'm just over 200lbs at the moment. I also use amino acid capsules before and after a hard workout or training session.

With regard to protein metabolism and excess protein intake, basically a small amount of protein is converted to glucose (gluconeogenesis). Part of this process is the deamination of the amino acids which produces ammonia. If you have a dodgy liver and eat loads of protein then the liver may not be able to get rid of the excess ammonia and then you get very ill and die - otherwise if your liver is okay then you can eat loads of protein.

I do remember reading about someone who's sweat used to smell of ammonia and put it down to excess protein intake - it could of course also be bacteria breaking down the sweat... yuk!
    Straight punches make you go blind. More damage is done to a criminals nervous system when they are struck. Strikes that make you stronger. All this and more systema douchebaggery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak-m2iwI7Q

NEW BONUS REEL, feat RobG at it again! lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDnMDJVWmQ

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 3:52am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.6g per kg of bodyweight, not pound for mass. Don't forget to up your total caloric intake and not just protein. Excess protein will get excreted out, and while the body can store it as excess, the body would prefer to store complex carbohydrates and sugars for energy versus protein. Excess protein can cause Ketosis and Kidney stones if your diet isn't balanced with other foods as well being properly hydrated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 7:12am

Style: wu tang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

what?

I don't think that eating protein causes ketosis. Ketosis happens when your body is using fat for energy because it has burned all of the glucose/glycogen available. Ketones are the by-product of fat metabolism, not protein metabolism. I think that your body converts protein into glucose, then metabolizes it.

The risks associated with eating too much protein that I have heard of are: getting fat from too many calories, or possible kidney damage. I have eaten ****-tons of protein per day for years and I piss liters per day, so my kidneys are still excreting fine.

Another problem of eating too much protein could result if you eat lots of high-fat and high-cholesterol animal proteins. Not good for the cardio system.

Just be sure to eat a large pizza, some doritos, and drink a liter of coke after you hit the weights.

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 8:18am

Style: MuayThai & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

re protein

there is some truth to what all of you are saying, the body is a dynamic constantly changing organism and can do nearly all of the things you've discussed at different times depending on what it's current state/needs are.

you should be looking at the overall picture in terms of total nutrition, and in terms of the type of training you are doing. if you aren't lifting big, and trying to build big muscles then you shouldn't be on the 1g per lb that you mention, (2.2g/kilo in fact) ratio that bodybuilders use.

i weight 82 kilos and train hard including heavy weights and in "build" phase, i.e. strength training etc my protein calcs come out at 152gm. 20% more than you at double the bodyweight.

up-to-date thinking is that you would be better off having slightly less protein than you need than too much on a regular basis if you are concerned about longetivity as protein overload does stress the liver to deal with it, and can contribute towards a variety of problems.

the point about protein is that your body can only process relatively small amounts at any one time, so large doses are always wasteful as your body can only cope with a trickle feed. it does also leech enzymes and vitamins & minerals out of your body to process excess on it's way through.

your protein requirements should be somewhere in the 87gm (maintenance) to 100gm (muscle build) range for your weight. (...i'm assuming you are female also :)

if anyone wants a comprehensive excel spreadsheet to calculate personal requirements using current ACSM thinking (cals, protein, fats, carbs etc) plus HR training zones, VO2max and more, PM me your email and i'll send it to you.

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 9:02am

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tae Bo Alice
    Hi all. I'm trying to get about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight for mass. For me, this would equal about 127 grams of protein per day. Now I have a question. What if I take in too much protein? One guy I work out with said I'll just "crap it back out" if it's too much, but another says I'll get sick. Which is right? I really don't want to overload it just to find out but if any veterans here can help I'd appreciate it.
    -A.B.
    If gaining mass is your goal, thne the more inportant question is, are you getting enough calories/day?
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regardless of how much protein you take, don't forget to eat enough fiber and drink enough water. Eat some fruit and yogurt (for the live culture) every once in a while. Your rectum is gonna thank you for it :tongue3:

Also, nix the coffee, or at least drink it with moderation if you are a caffeine addict. What's the point of taking protein and getting huge if your bowels are so dehydrated you can't poop without feeling pain from your ass all the way up to your neck??? :pottytrai
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 8:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Protein doesn't turn into fat any better than anything else. You gain fat because you are eating too many calories for your activity level, or there is no metabolic and anabolic need to use the food to build and repair muscle tissue.

I have to say that protein is overrated. 1 gram per KILOGRAM of bodyweight is enough, and you'll end up getting more than that no matter what on any diet over 3,000 calories (unless you're eating 3,000 cals of candy).

Protein is useless without carbohydrates, which are needed in order to transport protein to the muscles.

All the supplement companies use the amount of protein in their drinks as selling points. The truth of the matter is, you can't really utilize more than 30 grams of protein in one sitting, unless you're a 250 pound bodybuilder at less than 10% body fat. Debateable yes, but when someone tells me "I'm not getting enough protein!", I tell them to shut the hell up and eat.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 8:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast