228426 Bullies, 3800 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 101 to 105 of 105
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Kamon Guy is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    390

    Posted On:
    12/08/2005 4:16am


     Style: Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    My Aikido discussion is turning into a Sport Jui Jitsu discussion so I thought I would start a new thread. Yes I know I used the BJJ Icon and this isn't really BJJ but it's the closest Icon I found to the subject. Plus you get a lot of BJJ guys at competitions, usually people with a BJJ and TKD background. They like it because it's a good way to practice applying their BJJ against someone throwing kicks and punches with out getting the into cage and having the the shite beaten out of them.

    Here is a link to the rules http://home.cogeco.ca/~miltonjj/sportjj.html

    Here is an expert of the scoring system

    A. One Point

    1: For crisp, clean striking techniques delivered with either hand or foot to legal target areas, (To score a point to the body in Black Belt division medium to hard contact is mandatory) Hand strikes to the head (to the head gear area) with light or touch contact only, will be awarded one point. (The head contact must indicate that the potential was there for a harder blow)

    2: Kicks to the inner and outer thigh with light to medium contact using roundhouse kicks only (mawashi geri) will be awarded one point. (Kicks at or near the knee will be a major penalty loss of 2 points)

    3: A flurry may be considered a repetitive number of doubtful strikes and only one point will be awarded. (At judges discretion).

    4: Each strike must be seen to be a potentially damaging or injurious blow and will be awarded one point.(except for head kick)

    5: Any combination strikes will be considered on their own merit, they will be considered as multiple points or a flurry, at judges discretion.

    6: Once stand up grappling commences, multiple strikes will be allowed and counted for both competitors within the 5 seconds allowed, then they must break the grappling hold.

    B. One Point To be awarded for any takedown, other than a half or full throw. (Where it is shown that one competitor initiated and was in control of the takedown)

    C. Two Points Will be awarded for a controlled kick to the head that makes no more than light or touch contact to head gear area.

    D. Multiple Points Will be awarded for achieving any legitimate hold down position during the allotted ground time.
    Points for hold downs are: (Black Belts) 2 points for every 10 seconds up to the 30 second time limit.
    (Kyu belts and Juniors). One point for every 5 seconds up to the 15 second time limit. The time will be monitored and determined by the timekeeper. The hold down time will start officially by a signal from the centre referee (his/her arm extended out over the competitors).

    *NOTE* A competitor cannot be saved by the bell (time limit of rounds) once a hold down has started, it will be allowed to continue to completion for 2 points Black Belt, or 1 point Junior or Kyu Belts.
    This will apply only if ground time has not run out.

    E. Two Points Will be awarded for a legitimate and controlled half-throw or sweep scored on an opponent that causes one foot to leave the mat, (Such as O'Soto Gari, or Ko Soto Gari).

    F. Three Points Will be awarded for a full throw or sweep scored on an opponent that causes both feet to leave the mat. (Such as various hip throws, or shoulder throws).

    G. Four Points Will be awarded for a submission by referee intervention, (this is when, in the opinion of the centre referee there would be severe injury caused if the lock or choke continued).

    *NOTE* Any submission that causes a competitor to tap out is an automatic win.

    Joe
    What are the point of these tournaments? Do you really feel proud coming out of a tournament not knowing for sure whether you can actually do any damage?

    At least in the BJJ world, you know that arm bars, triangles, rear naked chokes, etc will work or not.

    Sifu was telling us about a light contact karate tournament he went to. A fight broke out between two rival schools and no-one got hurt!!!!
  2. UltimateGaijin is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    477

    Posted On:
    12/08/2005 6:06am


     Style: kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamon Guy
    At least in the BJJ world, you know that arm bars, triangles, rear naked chokes, etc will work or not.

    doesnt the lack of striking during sparing kinda negate this?
  3. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,856

    Posted On:
    12/08/2005 8:04am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all MMA is the most complete form of Martial Arts Competiton there is. Kicks throws, punches, take downs and sunbmissions.

    UNitl you do full out full contact MMA all competitions approximate different aspects of it. BJJ the grappling, full contact Karate or Muay Thai or boxing the striking game, wrestling the take downs.

    An by the way SJJ has all the take downs, throws and sunbmissions like arm bars and triangles and so forth that BJJ has. The big difference is that you are trying to apply these techniques to someone who is punching and kicking. The other big difference is that you only have 30 seconds on the ground to apply the ground techniques.

    Also yuo can strike from the gorund to the body from the top position. Another thing you can't do in BJJ.

    And guess what, even with the light contact rules people still get injury's at SJJ compettions.

    Has anyone evem watched the vids posted by MEGALEF they show what SJJ looks lik "Fairly Squarely"

    Like I said at the beggining different competitons bellow full MMA competitions emphasis different things that are important to a Martial Artist. SJJ is good for learning to apply Jiu- Jitsu throws, take downs and submissions under kicks and punches.

    BJJ is for pure take downs and submissions.

    Wreslting is for pure control, take downs and controling your opponent.

    Muat Thai is for power full leg kicks, knees and elbows.

    Boxing for head movement and jabs.

    I am sure Kempo Karate competitions are tougher in the areas of striking.

    Whatch the videos SJJ is good for a certain aspect of the MMA game that the other don't have.

    Is it the best? never said so not even close. But iff all you have ever done is BJJ and full contact striking but never competed in a way that ties them together then SJJ is a good way to start working on that part of the game.
  4. Phrost is offline
    Phrost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 1998
    Location
    Cow Town
    Posts
    19,115

    Posted On:
    12/08/2005 9:45am

    Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamon Guy
    Sifu was telling us about a light contact karate tournament he went to. A fight broke out between two rival schools and no-one got hurt!!!!
    That's actually pretty funny.
  5. Urso is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    20

    Posted On:
    12/10/2005 12:07am


     Style: Kuk Sul Do/Capoeira/BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    First of all MMA is the most complete form of Martial Arts Competiton there is. Kicks throws, punches, take downs and sunbmissions.

    UNitl you do full out full contact MMA all competitions approximate different aspects of it. BJJ the grappling, full contact Karate or Muay Thai or boxing the striking game, wrestling the take downs.

    An by the way SJJ has all the take downs, throws and sunbmissions like arm bars and triangles and so forth that BJJ has. The big difference is that you are trying to apply these techniques to someone who is punching and kicking. The other big difference is that you only have 30 seconds on the ground to apply the ground techniques.

    Also yuo can strike from the gorund to the body from the top position. Another thing you can't do in BJJ.

    And guess what, even with the light contact rules people still get injury's at SJJ compettions.

    Has anyone evem watched the vids posted by MEGALEF they show what SJJ looks lik "Fairly Squarely"

    Like I said at the beggining different competitons bellow full MMA competitions emphasis different things that are important to a Martial Artist. SJJ is good for learning to apply Jiu- Jitsu throws, take downs and submissions under kicks and punches.

    BJJ is for pure take downs and submissions.

    Wreslting is for pure control, take downs and controling your opponent.

    Muat Thai is for power full leg kicks, knees and elbows.

    Boxing for head movement and jabs.

    I am sure Kempo Karate competitions are tougher in the areas of striking.

    Whatch the videos SJJ is good for a certain aspect of the MMA game that the other don't have.

    Is it the best? never said so not even close. But iff all you have ever done is BJJ and full contact striking but never competed in a way that ties them together then SJJ is a good way to start working on that part of the game.
    Look. I'm in the middle of training for a fight in April. I don't think there is a "best" martial art for everything out there. That is why I cross train like many others. I am new to mma fighting. I have had only 3 fights so far. (2 wins 1 draw) I've always wanted to do a cage match. I'm still waiting for the chance. I'm starting to get older now and I don't know if I'll ever get the chance. But, I still train--full force. It's how I feel I can get to the next level of my game.
    After training for a bit, you may begin to understand. Until then, just keep training.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.