I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 8:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sport Jiu Jitsu

My Aikido discussion is turning into a Sport Jui Jitsu discussion so I thought I would start a new thread. Yes I know I used the BJJ Icon and this isn't really BJJ but it's the closest Icon I found to the subject. Plus you get a lot of BJJ guys at competitions, usually people with a BJJ and TKD background. They like it because it's a good way to practice applying their BJJ against someone throwing kicks and punches with out getting the into cage and having the the shite beaten out of them.

Here is a link to the rules http://home.cogeco.ca/~miltonjj/sportjj.html

Here is an expert of the scoring system

A. One Point

1: For crisp, clean striking techniques delivered with either hand or foot to legal target areas, (To score a point to the body in Black Belt division medium to hard contact is mandatory) Hand strikes to the head (to the head gear area) with light or touch contact only, will be awarded one point. (The head contact must indicate that the potential was there for a harder blow)

2: Kicks to the inner and outer thigh with light to medium contact using roundhouse kicks only (mawashi geri) will be awarded one point. (Kicks at or near the knee will be a major penalty loss of 2 points)

3: A flurry may be considered a repetitive number of doubtful strikes and only one point will be awarded. (At judges discretion).

4: Each strike must be seen to be a potentially damaging or injurious blow and will be awarded one point.(except for head kick)

5: Any combination strikes will be considered on their own merit, they will be considered as multiple points or a flurry, at judges discretion.

6: Once stand up grappling commences, multiple strikes will be allowed and counted for both competitors within the 5 seconds allowed, then they must break the grappling hold.

B. One Point To be awarded for any takedown, other than a half or full throw. (Where it is shown that one competitor initiated and was in control of the takedown)

C. Two Points Will be awarded for a controlled kick to the head that makes no more than light or touch contact to head gear area.

D. Multiple Points Will be awarded for achieving any legitimate hold down position during the allotted ground time.
    Points for hold downs are: (Black Belts) 2 points for every 10 seconds up to the 30 second time limit.
    (Kyu belts and Juniors). One point for every 5 seconds up to the 15 second time limit. The time will be monitored and determined by the timekeeper. The hold down time will start officially by a signal from the centre referee (his/her arm extended out over the competitors).

*NOTE* A competitor cannot be saved by the bell (time limit of rounds) once a hold down has started, it will be allowed to continue to completion for 2 points Black Belt, or 1 point Junior or Kyu Belts.
    This will apply only if ground time has not run out.

E. Two Points Will be awarded for a legitimate and controlled half-throw or sweep scored on an opponent that causes one foot to leave the mat, (Such as O'Soto Gari, or Ko Soto Gari).

F. Three Points Will be awarded for a full throw or sweep scored on an opponent that causes both feet to leave the mat. (Such as various hip throws, or shoulder throws).

G. Four Points Will be awarded for a submission by referee intervention, (this is when, in the opinion of the centre referee there would be severe injury caused if the lock or choke continued).

*NOTE* Any submission that causes a competitor to tap out is an automatic win.

Joe

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 9:34am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why the light contact rules? Especially to the legs. Head I "kinda" buy but there is no reason to go light/medium to the leg. A leg kick without power is a total waste unless its a stop kick.

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 10:25am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Why the light contact rules? Especially to the legs. Head I "kinda" buy but there is no reason to go light/medium to the leg. A leg kick without power is a total waste unless its a stop kick.
    2 things. I assume the light contact rule is so that no one goes too hard and kranks one into someones knee.

And my experience has been that the concept of light contact is is rarely enforced. As during competition people tend to get a little over excited and start putting more power behind there stuff. I have seen broken noses and cracked ribs. Not saying this is a ggod thing just my observation.

Also I often see people use leg kicks as diversions for take downs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 11:16am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark

From what I've seen, the Sport Jujutsu comps here use really horrible gloves, so injuried could ensue from too hard contact. I haven't tried competing though, and doubt I'll get the opportunity. Wouldn't midn trying, but I'd get my ass handed to me all the same.

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 11:26am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Corrected the spelling in the thread title. It's "jiu" not "jui".

And light contact sparring is for the dojo when you're injured; not for competition if you want to be taken seriously as a Martial Artist.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 12:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno, this might be a good alternative for the working guy who's got to show up Monday morning without looking like a truck ran over him. Beats any other type of sparring out there that isn't NHB/MMA hands down (heh).

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 12:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Corrected the spelling in the thread title. It's "jiu" not "jui".

And light contact sparring is for the dojo when you're injured; not for competition if you want to be taken seriously as a Martial Artist.
    Light sparring is also for people who want to have the fun of competing with out having to risk showing up to work the next day with a broken nose, a black eye or other injuries.

I never claimed that Sport Jiu Jitsu was the ultimate test of Jiu Jitsu combat skills, just that it's a fun way to compete.

And thanks for correcting my spelling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 12:50pm

Style: Kajukenpo Ch'uan Fa / SW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do SJJ fighting and training ... but hit alot harder.

Head - 50-75 %
    Body - 80 %

head kicks allowed and as long as you don't knock anyone out .. it's all good.
    no head punches on the ground but heavy body punches are allowed.

The rules stated above are too light.

Eric

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 12:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrfu_Eric
    We do SJJ fighting and training ... but hit alot harder.

Head - 50-75 %
    Body - 80 %

head kicks allowed and as long as you don't knock anyone out .. it's all good.
    no head punches on the ground but heavy body punches are allowed.

The rules stated above are too light.

Eric
    The rules are for people like me "pussies" for black belts it states

(To score a point to the body in Black Belt division medium to hard contact is mandatory)

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 1:03pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Light sparring is also for people who want to have the fun of competing with out having to risk showing up to work the next day with a broken nose, a black eye or other injuries.

I never claimed that Sport Jiu Jitsu was the ultimate test of Jiu Jitsu combat skills, just that it's a fun way to compete.

And thanks for correcting my spelling.
    So is doing this:

Nobody's said you claimed that. However, for many people, that claim is implicit. Light contact sparring presented as legitimate display of martial skill or competition hurts the legitimacy of the arts that engage in it. This is particularly true for those arts in which the level of contact in competition stops there and progresses no further into the realm of what would be considered a legitimate means of demonstrating/testing your skills against an opponent.

As far as the broken noses, black eyes bit, too fucking bad. You don't see people taking up competitive eating running around bitching about indigestion. Anyone who takes up Martial Arts and is unwilling to risk injury needs to take up another fucking hobby instead of trying to bring the activity down to the level of their bleeding vagina.

Period.

You'd think an activity that involves LEARNING TECHNIQUES FOR HURTING PEOPLE wouldn't be overrun with so goddamn many people trying to find ways to avoid doing it. It's like running into a bunch of auto mechanics who don't want to get grease on their clothing: fucking asinine.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast