Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 12:01am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Using regular shoes as wrestling shoes?

I know wrestling shoes are for sanitary reasons so you don't track urine from the bathroom onto the mat. Is there any technical purpose to them? Are they better for wrestling than regular shoes?

What if you buy a pair of regular running shoes, but only wear them on the mat? Would you be allowed to do that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 12:11am

Style: SubG, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are thinner soled, because you know.. most places don't have rocks and pebbles on the mats. They are also lighter and fit real tight so they don't fall off.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 12:17am

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tighter=less to use against you in ankle/leg lock

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 12:31am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grip is different too, regular running shoes would eat up the matts more and you'd risk blowing your knee as you can't pivot as easily.

If you're working submissions you'd really annoy your partners if you liked things like spider guard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 8:41am

Style: wrestling, Bjj, fi ting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not only the above mention reasons but they give you better contact with the floor, so you have better balance.

I never heard of the urine thing... Most guys wear their shoes all over the gym.

But honestly you are forgetting the most important point. Wrestling shoes look sweet! I remember in Jr. high (85) wearing mine off the mat, untied with my acid washed jeans.... Cooler than cool. God, didn't you ever see Vision Quest?

Although not as popular, I tried being a trend setter by wearing my head gear to class too.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2005 6:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wore head gear when I wrestled in High school, now I am coaching High School and none of the kids on my team wear headgear. I think it goes in phases for younger wrestlers.
    I am thinking about getting some new wrestling boots, but the wife will bawl me out if I spend too much...
    They are good for gripping the mat, for certain. But they don't make them as durable as they used to be. Hell, my old ones lasted me for years, these new ones last maybe two seasons max.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2005 6:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Green
    Grip is different too, regular running shoes would eat up the matts more and you'd risk blowing your knee as you can't pivot as easily.
    Good point.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2005 7:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ
    I wore head gear when I wrestled in High school, now I am coaching High School and none of the kids on my team wear headgear. I think it goes in phases for younger wrestlers.
    I assume you're talking about practice, because as far as I know headgear is still required during meets.

I'd say less than half the team wore headgear during practice. I on the other hand wore it not only during practice, but also during our runs, stretching, etc. I was the only one who did this, but I believed in training how you fight.

If I were coaching, I'd require it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2005 7:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    I assume you're talking about practice, because as far as I know headgear is still required during meets.

I'd say less than half the team wore headgear during practice. I on the other hand wore it not only during practice, but also during our runs, stretching, etc. I was the only one who did this, but I believed in training how you fight.

If I were coaching, I'd require it.
    Headgear is not compulsory in High School competition in Canada. Although It may be when they wrestle at the national level..I am not sure on that.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2005 7:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ
    Headgear is not compulsory in High School competition in Canada. Although It may be when they wrestle at the national level..I am not sure on that.
    In that case, I certainly wouldn't wear it.

As far as I know it's still compulsory here, at least it was a few years ago. I think it's a silly requirement though, as I don't see much use.

Cauliflower ear is a possibility, but it's not that big of a deal, and even if it were, unless the kids are required to wear the headgear in practice, simply wearing it in meets isn't doing much anyway.

I think it ought to be up the the individual wrestler.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast