Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 9:38pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Students

I've been training with a guy who competes in MMA and I have been enjoying the hell out of it. The only thing that bothers me is that whenever we bring in new guys, they seem to disappear after a very short time. I am wondering if we are doing something wrong. We spend about half of every session sparring and I have wondered if we may need to explicitly address the "leaving your ego out of it" issue with them and/or ease them into sparring more gradually. Or maybe there just aren't many people who really like to train hard. I don't know. Any advice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 10:22pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you taking total noobies and making them spar full-contact on the first day? That might be a bit much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 5:15am

Style: Getting mounted

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep in mind that non-Bullshido martial arts generally have high attrition rates because prospective students realize that they're not going to be learning ninja death touches. The process of becoming skilled in a fighting system takes lots of time and effort. To learn to kick ass, you need to get your ass kicked for a while, and I think that's just a reality that most people aren't willing to face. I bet most of the students who vanish from your class thought that they would be Kazushi Sakuraba by the third class.

Unless it's an issue of paying the bills, I'd write the quitters off as what they are.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 8:15am

Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After the guillotine chokes I got nailed with Tuesday, I could understand folks quiting. The damage I take and lack of skill are really humbling.

How are you guys doing the sparring for the newer folks? Full on MMA rules or breaking it out seperately for grappling and stand up? The place I just started at isn't even going to let me play with the 'fighters' for at least a few months, though I am allowed to grapple with them.

M

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 9:43am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We don't really have a standard way of starting off a new person, but I'm thinking that maybe we should just have them watch the sparring the first couple of times and then start them off with just grappling starting from the knees until they get a little more skilled.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 10:04am

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah... sending a newb in to spar full contact against guys who are training for a long time isn't the best idea... better to let em watch fr a bit, and reinforce the fact that when you guys started you were getting your asses kicked too.

Or maybe you and your group are just a bunch of losers and no one wants to hang with ya... who knows?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 11:06am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think new people also underestimate the demands of grappling and striking, especially as on their first day their adrenaline is up and they're keen to not look clueless (so, paradoxically, making them look worse as they thrash and flop like stranded fish, attempt to throw on knee locks that they saw in some wrestlemania event, or gas out in 20 seconds).

So not only do they have the ego check of getting owned (often by people smaller than them), they then have to deal with a three day muscle ache, so providing a excuses lightning rod.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 12:28pm

Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a newbie, most of the strikers would destroy me right now. TSD definetly hasn't prepared me for dealing with direct attacks to the face. I flinch way more then I should. In fact that is generally more intimidating then the grappling has been.

Grappling without the striking has been very enjoyable. Some of the drills starting out have included, "Strike like this to help get them into positions for the move we are drilling." It also helps when the better guys aren't going all out to tie me into a pretzel.

As much as I hate to admit it, waiting 3 months to even have a chance to spar with the fighters is good thing until I get better at the basics.

M