Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 2:55pm

Style: Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ligaments/Rotator Cup

So it looks like I'll be out for the next little while after trying to catch the end of a 300lb roll of tarp at work. :5bomb:

My left shoulder has about 75% of it's mobility back after three days off of work/training, but I fear that that is just the initial swelling dying down from the Ibuprofen I've been throwing back like candy.

Aside from keeping my diet full of protein and the joint/antiflammatory medication, anyone have any ideas to speed this up? Or some cues to look for to know when my shoulder will be gravy again? I'm worried about going back too soon and blowing the joint out completely.

Working construction and training in Pankration hasn't been aiding my recovery time.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 3:23pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only thing i can recommend is get checked out by a doc if you haven't already. Rotator cup is nothing to **** around with.

Good luck.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 3:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's called the rotator cuff!

You have a tear? What did your doctor say?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 3:38pm

Style: Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I doubt it's a tear. I've tore knee ligaments before and the mobility/pain/recovery factors were all much more severe.

I think it's just a strain. MOderate to heavy. But not a tear.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh man, you're fucked.

i'm not even being funny, since i have been recovering from a nasty rotator cuff tear for over 8 months now (it's mostly better now.)

see your doctor, get regular massage, and do physical therapy (lots of massage and excercises.)

surgery may not help much, if your doc suggests it, get a few opionions and do some homework, a lot of people think the surgery isn't very helpful.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 4:12pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My mom tore her rotator cuff and lifting her arm makes her pinch the nerves or something sometimes, so she can't even lift anything. It's been like this for a few years, doc (3 different ones) said nothing can be done but surgey. However, the surgery has a good chance of cutting off her nerves totally and her losing mobility in her arm entirely. :(

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't even know that it is the rotator cuff.

The shoulder joint is the most complex joint in the body. There could be many different explanations for what you're experiencing besides the rotator cuff.

I suspect it probably is the cuff, but until you get an actual diagnosis, there is no way to know how to treat it.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 5:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BALEETED

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tore my rotator cuff whe ni was younger and then again jsut recently. Surgury ishould be you last possible option when you absoutly can't stand it anymore. This last time in my doctor asked how bad it hurt on a scale from It bothers me a little to PLEASE GOD CUT MY ARM OFF. When i ansewered somewhere in the middle she told me that untill it gets to oh god... to just do the excersizes and take the meds she gave me and not train for a while. According to her if i had rotator surgury now it would put me in worse pain then the accutaly injust for the next 3 -4 months...

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 5:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rehabilitate the muscles associated with the area of the Rotator, Latissimus, etc. If you can get something to speed up the process, that will definitely help. Ask your doctor about that. If you're old enough to where you have a definite dip in your T levels, he might be able to help you out. Also, for any tissue regen, it's not just protein, it's caloric intake also. Another thing, be easy on the Anti-inflammatories, they have been shown to slow the healing process. N02 will also help in mild ways to aid in healing as it'll help recovery time.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 5:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by japuma630
    I tore my rotator cuff whe ni was younger and then again jsut recently. Surgury ishould be you last possible option when you absoutly can't stand it anymore. This last time in my doctor asked how bad it hurt on a scale from It bothers me a little to PLEASE GOD CUT MY ARM OFF. When i ansewered somewhere in the middle she told me that untill it gets to oh god... to just do the excersizes and take the meds she gave me and not train for a while. According to her if i had rotator surgury now it would put me in worse pain then the accutaly injust for the next 3 -4 months...
    That isn't always good advice though. It's very fact specific and depends on the reasons for the tear.

The majority of rotator cuff tears are due to a type II or III acromion bone. This is true even when the tear can be traced back to a particular trauma. The trauma is usually just the straw that broke the camel's back. Typically, it's been tearing very gradually over time. In this situation, if it's left alone, the cuff will continue to be torn down, until it eventually tears very badly, often times completely. This ultimate outcome can often be avoided by early detection and arthroscopic intervention.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast