Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 2:20pm

Style: BJJ, Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just saw this, don't mean to dig up old threads, but I saw a lot of flak being tossed at Lloyd in discussions about Brandon Vera around the net, and figured I'd do a search here to find out if I was missing something.

I train under an Irvin Brown Belt for $110 a month, unlimited classes (I usually put in about six hours a week right now, but when I started and was working a different schedule, I was up to ten), and we just had Lloyd's instructor, Leo Dalla, in for what turned into a four hour seminar for $30. So, altogether my February BJJ budget was $140 for 27 hours of instruction with a brown belt, three purples (we only had one for the longest time, but Dalla did some promotions while he was there) and a fourth degree black belt who gave Lloyd irvin his black belt. I personally got to roll with Dalla for about ten minutes. Given all of that, I have to say that those figures are absolute horse ****...

...but now I wanna know if, as a blue belt at a Lloyd Irvin affiliate, I can suppliment my income with my privates. I mean, that's more than I make on overtime, and I thought I had a good job...

If this is why people dislike Lloyd, I can understand (I've heard stories of Rickson Gracie charging people for taking pictures with him, and they've hated him ever since)... but is there anything else to it?

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 2:36pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lloyd puts out great fighters and has a spectacular program according to virtually everyone that got in touch with him. At the moment he is THE BJJ force in MD.
    People just react to his aggressive marketing, that's all.
    I'd be the first to go train with him if he was closer.

Tomas

Quote Originally Posted by GarageJudokaSS
    If this is why people dislike Lloyd, I can understand (I've heard stories of Rickson Gracie charging people for taking pictures with him, and they've hated him ever since)... but is there anything else to it?
    Current stage of death: denial
  3. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 2:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can suppliment my income with my privates.
    Yes you can.
    I could too, but women won't pay for it and I refuse to have sex with men.

:icon_bigg
  4. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 2:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    Lloyd puts out great fighters and has a spectacular program according to virtually everyone that got in touch with him. At the moment he is THE BJJ force in MD.
    People just react to his aggressive marketing, that's all.
    I'd be the first to go train with him if he was closer.
    At that price!!!!

Note to self:
    Put Drummerboy on the list of millionaires that I know.

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 3:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    At that price!!!!

Note to self:
    Put Drummerboy on the list of millionaires that I know.
    Bah, didn't say i'd take $1000 privates!!!
    His regular training fees are pretty good.

Tomas

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 3:31pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just saw this, don't mean to dig up old threads, but I saw a lot of flak being tossed at Lloyd in discussions about Brandon Vera around the net, and figured I'd do a search here to find out if I was missing something.

I train under an Irvin Brown Belt for $110 a month, unlimited classes (I usually put in about six hours a week right now, but when I started and was working a different schedule, I was up to ten), and we just had Lloyd's instructor, Leo Dalla, in for what turned into a four hour seminar for $30. So, altogether my February BJJ budget was $140 for 27 hours of instruction with a brown belt, three purples (we only had one for the longest time, but Dalla did some promotions while he was there) and a fourth degree black belt who gave Lloyd irvin his black belt. I personally got to roll with Dalla for about ten minutes. Given all of that, I have to say that those figures are absolute horse ****...

...but now I wanna know if, as a blue belt at a Lloyd Irvin affiliate, I can suppliment my income with my privates. I mean, that's more than I make on overtime, and I thought I had a good job...

I used to teach for Lloyd Irvin back in the day. Lloyd is a really amazing person who worked his way up from LITERALLY NOTHING to having one of the most successful schools on the East Coast. Not just successful money-wise, but also successful in producing some of the finest MMA and Kickboxing fighters on the East Coast!

Though I have no personal bad experience with him, the few complaints that I have heard have never been about him as a person or as an insctuctor/coach. It has always been a question of his business tactics. He is a shrewd businessman. I don't think that he should be faulted for it. If you don't like the way he does business, thats fine. Everyone has a right to their own opinions. But you have to at least respect what he has built on his own, through his own hard work.
  7. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 3:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, what a minute...
    Drummerboy started this thread questioning the price of the private lessons.

I was getting ready to correct you about the thread topic but since you made it...I figure you know what you meant.
    I didn't think we were here to argue his value as a person, a businessman, a fighter, a trainer, etc.
    I thought we were just discussing the OUTRAGEOUSNESS of the cost of his private lessons.

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 3:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    Heh, what a minute...
    Drummerboy started this thread questioning the price of the private lessons.

I was getting ready to correct you about the thread topic but since you made it...I figure you know what you meant.
    I didn't think we were here to argue his value as a person, a businessman, a fighter, a trainer, etc.
    I thought we were just discussing the OUTRAGEOUSNESS of the cost of his private lessons.
    Frankly, I was just curious whether anybody actually took such expensive privates. The only one I can think of that theretically COULD take them is Anthony, but now maybe not any more since his watch broke...
    :)

Tomas

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 5:22pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understood the original topic/question in this thread, I was trying to reply to the guy I quoted about some peoples perceptions of Lloyd. He seemed to be alluding to there being some people who don't care too much for Lloyd. I was merely relating my own personal experience with Lloyd as a friend and co-worker.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 6:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tomas, Lloyd has an affiliate in Elkridge, Julius Park. Much closer than Camp Springs. I train there pretty regular on Saturdays to save travel time. Julius is a great instructor. www.88bjj.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast