and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Diet refinement

All this talk of eating and stuff has got me questioning my diet. So please post what you think and any tips. Feel free to skip to the bottom where I have the questions.

I'm 6'4", 305lbs, wanting to get down to 275 without loseing too much muscle.

My diet: around 2500 cal a day, aiming for 200g protien. On a typical day I eat 2c cereal (kashi good friends! :XXhippylo) in 2c skim milk with 2 shots protien powder for breakfast. Snack @ ~10:30 - protienbar/shake/can of veggie soup/fresh fruit. Lunch - subway/leftovers/frozen meal. snack - bar/shake/soup/fruit. Post workout - protien shake. Dinner - rice+beans, pasta + protien, whatevar + a can of veggies. I drink usually water, but skim milk with meals.

workout - daily light yoga, one semi-hard yoga class a week, 1.5-3 hours boxin 5x per week, weights hard 3x a month.

Other - daily multi (generic), daily ritalin (adhd)

My diet concerns:

1) I put on 12 lbs over a 5 day holiday - no boxing, only once at the weights. I had a fairly bad thanksgiving (got high and had creamcheese covered pop tarts with my little bro lol) but nothing too bad the other days. Is it possible i can store fat that quickly like some super-power, or is this water weight? And if it is water, does that mean I'm dehydrated the rest of the time?

2) EFA. I can't stand fish or the thought of fish oil. Is there another less gross way to get a supplement for this?

3) Looking at my notes I'm getting about ~70% of my daily protein from a plastic jar. I know it's supposedly a "supplement", but how much is too much?

4) I hate veggies so I get them in my diet by eating a can or two of chunky veggie soup w/ tabasco. This a problem?

5) Good ol' E/C/A stack for cutting. I'm already taking a daily stimulant so how bad would it be to add caffeen and asparin?

So, judgeing my diet and goals, what would you do different?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 1:07pm

Style: TaiChiPrayingMantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's some data that might help -

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

I'm an 80% raw vegan, meaning that 80% of my diet is fresh raw fruits, vegetables and nuts. So I have a lot of ideas about where you can get protein without shakes, namely nuts. Peanuts are the highest (25% or so protein by weight) - 100g peanuts = 25g protein; peanut butter is cooked so I don't eat a lot of it, but even then its around 24% protein by weight (ie, not much protein is lost in the transition from peanut to peanut butter).

For breakfast, you can try to find some hardcore mueslix. Something with real nuts - you might have to go to a health food store to find it though (I make my own with steel cut oats, raisins, and ground almonds, walnuts, pecans and peanuts). Also, snacking on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich could replace a protein bar pretty easily I imagine, though I recommend finding a spread that doesn't have corn syrup/sugar added (there are some that are sweetened with fruit juices, aim for those). Both replacements should eliminate the need for protein supplements for your morning and snack period.

If you want to cut weight I'd look at cutting out unneccessary sugars, like the pasta and rice. Fruit is great and you should keep it, but if you replaced the pasta and rice with a salad you'd be doing pretty good for yourself I imagine. However, you said you hate veggies, so I guess I should ask what veggies you don't like and how do you usually eat the non-canned ones? I have a ton of recipes for salads so I imagine I can find something you would like.

Getting all your veggies from a can is, as you already know, really really icky. Grow up and eat a salad. :P If you let me know why you don't like what you're eating I should be able to offer you something thats a tasty alternative.

Regarding your water intake, are you drinking only during/at meals? You really should be drinking more often than that. I doubt thats affecting your weight though.

I think taking drugs to get healthy is a bad idea, but I'm an outlier. I think that medicating yourself with caffeine and aspirin isn't going to do anything good for you in the long term, though a daily cup of tea is a nice diuretic and helps to clean the system.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 6:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ) I put on 12 lbs over a 5 day holiday - no boxing, only once at the weights. I had a fairly bad thanksgiving (got high and had creamcheese covered pop tarts with my little bro lol) but nothing too bad the other days. Is it possible i can store fat that quickly like some super-power, or is this water weight? And if it is water, does that mean I'm dehydrated the rest of the time?

2) EFA. I can't stand fish or the thought of fish oil. Is there another less gross way to get a supplement for this?

3) Looking at my notes I'm getting about ~70% of my daily protein from a plastic jar. I know it's supposedly a "supplement", but how much is too much?

4) I hate veggies so I get them in my diet by eating a can or two of chunky veggie soup w/ tabasco. This a problem?

5) Good ol' E/C/A stack for cutting. I'm already taking a daily stimulant so how bad would it be to add caffeen and asparin?

1) Yes, it is possible to put on 12 pounds of fat in 5 days. A few months ago I read an article about some 'get fat fast' challenge where some guy gained like 37 pounds in 3 days. I wish I could remember the name of the contest or the source, but I can't. He did this by keeping his blood sugar really high and eating calorie dense foods right before bed (I remember that he ate like 8 bagels with cream cheese and lox before sleeping). Around Christmas time last year, I put on about 7 pounds in 5 days.

2) There are DHA/EFA capsules that you can purchase. But I think the source of them is fish, but they are concentrated EFA. There is also a capsule that vegays use, which comes from algae, which apparently is the actual source of the fatty acids (fish eat algae). Look here:

http://bodybuilding.com/store/dn/omega.html

Other sources are, pumpkin seeds, flax oil, hemp seeds, walnuts. But I don't know why the **** you won't just take the goddamn salmon oil capsules, because it dosn't taste like fish, it tastes like whatever the **** you're drinking to swallow them. And they are the best source.

3) Whey protein is good for you. It's a food. Just because I buy one of those tangerines wrapped in paper, it dosn't mean the tangerine isn't food. But it's usually a good idea to vary protein sources. Good souces are skinless chicken breasts (mmmmm, breasts), about 6 egg whites with 1 yoke, fish, turkey, lean ground beef.

4) Eat your fucking vegetables. If you don't eat lots of vegetables, you'll probably fill up on crap. You absolutely need to eat fresh vegetables. Flash frozen ones are fine too. But canned ones usally have very little nutrients left in them. Plus, things like soup are generally high in sodium. Sodium can cause a spike in insulin, albeit less than sugar. It also causes bloating. You want to cut down on the sodium, eat as fresh as possible.

5) For that I would talk to your docter. I think the best is 'Hot-Rox', which can be purchased via t-nation.com. Methoxy-7 is also good, so I hear. I've taken Xenedrin before, and lost alot of fat, but I was also dieting intellegently and lifting three days a week. Talk to your doc though.

Go to T-nation and use the search function, for 'Don't Diet', which actually is a diet. I like it. I've lost ten pounds of fat so far with it, but it's a little technical.

Good luck man! :adios:

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 6:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Methoxy-7 is bullshit btw. T-nation has great lifting articles, not so great supplementations and the costs versus gains are misleading.

The best that I can say is to constantly alter your diet and see what happens. I doubt you're getting as low as 2500 cals a day. You would drop weight very very quickly. Eat many small meals to avoid Cortisol spikes, and ffs, people who get high are retarded... don't do it.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 8:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Methoxy-7 is bullshit btw. T-nation has great lifting articles, not so great supplementations and the costs versus gains are misleading.
    I never used it, but a buddy of mine did. He thought it helped, but he changed his diet from 6 donuts a day and a big of chips for dinner to something not stupid. What do you think some supplements are for fat loss that will help to maintain most of your lean muscle mass?

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 9:37pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dammit, I told you about the tasty fish oil: http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=1118

Total EFA - Lemon Lime flavor. I literally drink it straight right out of the bottle. Only chaser you need is water. Burps taste citrus-y. You may also find it can help with your ADHD (Omega-3's have been linked to helping deal with ADHD symptoms).

If you hate veggies, you can do what I do. I steam-cook frozen produce, and it comes out somewhat mushy and ambiguous in terms of texture. I stir in a favorite flavor, like giardeneria peppers or even ketchup, and eat big spoonfuls. I'm literally up to 10 fruits and veggies a day now (I eat a pound of fruit every morning). I eat all my fruit in the morning and all my veggies at night (the veggies are accompanied by a little bit of meat).

For Omega 3's without a supplement, you can eat Salmon in a bag (see my fish in a bag thread in this forum for more info) or in a can. But you could also eat sardines, which have less mercury, if you're concerned about that. There's plenty of protein in that fish. A 5oz portion of tuna has like 25g of protein.

Believe it or not, percentage-wise, Spirulina (an algae that's cultivated as a supplement) is 65% protein per weight (beef is about 25% protein per weight). But that's a whole other thread.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 9:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mercury in fish isn't a problem unless you're inhaling the GDP of Haiti for fish. Go to a Walgeens and get the pills, deal with the taste and be a man.

Don't eat Algae, eat meat.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 10:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take Carlson's fish oil. I think it's called "Carlson's very finest fish oil". It's also flavored with lemon and rosemary. Doesn't taste bad at all. Not fishy at all. I drink it straight. I prefer the straight oil, but if you prefer to take pills, I've read that putting the pills in the freezer helps with the fishy taste.

As for vegetables, I never really understood how anybody can make the blanket statement that they don't like vegetables. There are so many different vegetables and they taste very different and have very different textures. I'd say that if you want to eat more veggies, just get creative and start trying lots of different vegetables. I'm sure you'll find some things you like.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 11:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Samurai Steve said:
    Believe it or not, percentage-wise, Spirulina (an algae that's cultivated as a supplement) is 65% protein per weight (beef is about 25% protein per weight). But that's a whole other thread.
    That's true. But it also has a lot of beta caratene in it. So don't have more than 2 tablespoons or you'll turn orange.