228388 Bullies, 4125 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Are you training right now?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Lots of class, strict diet and gym time!

39 20.00%
  • Yes! Class a few times a week, semi-diet, occasional gym.

109 55.90%
  • Yes. I attend class twice a week. No diet. No gym.

29 14.87%
  • No, I'm not in training right now. Age, retired, or training others.

1 0.51%
  • No, I'm not training for medical, financial, etc. reasons.

14 7.18%
  • No, I'm not training at all or plan to for at least 6 months.

3 1.54%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 11:31am

Style: Martial Concepts MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I chose option 3

I train for fitness and fun; Class twice a week, bodyweight almost daily (push-ups, crunches, hindu squats), and Cardio via Stationary Bike three times a week. Stretching twice a day.

nothing very serious or complex.

Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    If you "listen" to your body then it will "tell" you what it needs.
    I've done lots of damage to my body while living a Rock n' Roll lifestyle; getting paid in beer, eating at greasy diners, and sugary soda addictions from groggy late night drives.

my body now "screams" at me to stop fucking around.

So it's all about attempting to incorporate the "health" into my lifestyle now, and learning to defend myself is inspirational enough to help keep me on track.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 11:41am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    Okay, let's take a look at that "Wisdom" for a moment. Do you know what a "diet" is ... by formal definition? It is what you eat ... period.

"Dieting" is a crock of **** that has spawned an entire industry in the USA and what do we have to show for it? An ever increasing population of FAT ASSES.

If you "listen" to your body then it will "tell" you what it needs. Unlike the Mind, the Body has a very limited number of goals ... survive ... reproduce ... get as much pleasure as possible. That's about it.
    We are in some serious agreement.

"Diet" to me is watching what you eat to help gain a certain physique.

As I've never been overweight I never assigned the meaning "to lose weight". On the contrary, when I watched my diet it's always been to gain weight.

My point was that some foods help you perform better than others. IMHO "Diet" is being careful to eat those foods, and eating enough of that to help you attain that physique or performance.

Although my body is way biased to pleasure for me to listen to it:) I want to put it in some pain, and no it doesn't like it. It keeps telling me to grab that cake and the PS. But the next day I wake up and it's thanking me :)

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 11:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not training because I'm looking for someplace to train. (option #5?)
    I'd LIVE in the damn dojo if I could find one that does that.

Veggies should be fresh. You should just buy them when you need them.
    Last edited by Neildo; 11/30/2005 11:46am at .

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 11:43am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateNinja5000
    Taste wise or nutrition wise? I've tried fresh veggies, but I usually end up letting them go bad. And frozen broccoli = :icon_puke

Honestly, I fucking hate veggies in all forms so what I've been doing is downing a can of them quick to get it over with. Peas + soy sauce + garlic. Corn + cumin. But on most days I just eat a can or two of chunky veggie soup. 18oz, 220cal. It's got a **** ton of salt, but I've got 2 working kidneys so I kinda don't pay attention to that.
    I meant taste-wise, but I imagine it's better for you as well. Flash-frozen is going to be a lot better than something that's been festering in a can of preservatives for god knows how long.

Broccoli does not have the best flavor always, but you can get creative and try to snazz it up a little. Try tossing it in a bit of olive oil and garlic, for instance (If you have the time).

Oh, and I picked option 2, by the way.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 12:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a year or two off when the kids were babies. Other than that since age 16 it's been mostly a couple nights a week with some gym or bag work sometimes, sometimes often, sometimes once in a while. What has helped is putting a medium bag hanging in my back yard and another at a rental back by the shed where I store tools, so I do some bag work at least often, if not for a very long time (spinning back is the current fave - it seems to give more of a full body exercise and also is a good balance training - I also like trying to keep the one in the back yard in the air - I can usually keep it up with out swinging back or losing control for over 40 front snaps, and if I can do ten spinning backs in a row I'm thrilled).

I did for some time train five nights a week and lift and run distance when I was a green belt in Kajukenbo and green in Kyokushin (and had worn green in Shotokan and Wado-Ryu, somehow green was the glass ceiling) and was getting real tired of being green... I had been kind of a semi-in-shape hippie karate guy and had to take it up several notches to be able to test for black in KK.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 12:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    To brag about it like you did something IS bullshit.
    Not to get too far into politics, but it seemed to me that he was not bragging, but trying to make a point. Maybe I misread, but that's what I got out of it. You know you are a prideful person Osiris. Maybe you just made too much out of it?

Besides, who gives a **** who taps you in training as long as you get something out of it (That is what a Throwdown seems to be to me, at least partially. Training/practice)?

MOVE ALONG PEOPLE, NOTHING TO SEE HERE!

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And please O, get layed or something. How old are you? I mean I loved your post the about TKD, how'd you put it? The more you train the less your ability to fight? But please hurry up and mature (I know, I should talk). Who cares about victories and defeats? Learn, train, and keep training, and all the matches and results aren't worth thinking about other than how they show you weakness or strength. It belittles you to exchange posts about tapping, not tapping, why I tapped bla bla bla. Spar a lot and spar some more. Want to hear my justifications/reasons/excuses on why Sensei was able to grab me and throw me last night? Of course not. Who gives a flying ****. My ego is NOT involved. I was not humilitated. When I kicked his face I was not filled with joy (well maybe a tiny bit..)

Now back to the real issue VEGETABLES. Buy some Oyster Sauce (vegetarian or not). Chop up a little garlic, fry with oyster sauce and a little soy, and add veggies, stir fry and they will be lots better. You can also add ginger, hot sauce, noodles, meat....
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 12:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Yeh, the throwdowns ARE just practice. However, contrary to my persona on here, I'm fairly humble in real life. Unless I'm just out for the day to be a jerk (Jacare, etc), I'm not an asshole. That being said, I don't even mention off hand who I've tapped. Very rarely do I bring up names. KM is probably the only one I know that I've talked real **** about, but even then, we were training together in real life quite amicably. His online ego is as bad as mine so I don't feel bad at all. That being said, I view it as highly direspectful to rattle off a list of who you've tapped. I would get quite the lecture at one of the gyms I train at for even mentioning it even in passing. I've always said "That person" or "A lot of people here" when discussing my grappling skills. To do otherwise is simply disrespectful. I may discuss my rolling in private as some stories are fun to tell, but I don't speak on them here, unless they're relevant to the discussion. My offense to that has little to do with my pride, and more to do with respect.
    I'll take you at your word here, but your original post on the matter did not make me think this.

I still think he was just trying to make a point that was and is completely valid.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes! Lots of class, strict diet and gym time!
    Yes! Class a few times a week, semi-diet, occasional gym.

For me at least, it's a combo of the two. I haven't been going to class that often lately because of work and other crap so I missed out on a week and half of class. But until I lose the 30lbs. I'll continue to be on a strict diet. For Thanksgiving all I had was some turkey and salad and some vegetables.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 2:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Grande
    Best line in this entire thread. Not everyone has the time or desire to be a martial arts bad ass...some people do it for fitness, some for love.
    For fitness, riding a bike, running or power walking, along with swimming 3 xs a week for about 20 minutes each is far superior.

For love ... singles bars about 2 hours before closing time works well.

In simplest terms Bullshido = dishonesty about either your own abilities or what you are selling/teaching and the methodology used to do so. Gringo Grande
    Righteous post, Dude.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast