218358 Bullies, 6622 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Are you training right now?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Lots of class, strict diet and gym time!

39 20.00%
  • Yes! Class a few times a week, semi-diet, occasional gym.

109 55.90%
  • Yes. I attend class twice a week. No diet. No gym.

29 14.87%
  • No, I'm not in training right now. Age, retired, or training others.

1 0.51%
  • No, I'm not training for medical, financial, etc. reasons.

14 7.18%
  • No, I'm not training at all or plan to for at least 6 months.

3 1.54%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 9:35am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu / JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok my 2 cents.
    Diet no... dieting to me is a temporary thing you do to lose some weight. Eating right is a long term thing which I do fairly well but I dont stress over it or count calories and take suplemts and stuff.

I dont go to a gym but I would like to start sometime.

I go to my Juijitsu class mon and thur 7-9. We exercise the first 20 min or so usually. We do 100 jumping jacks then a bunch of streches followed by 30 crunches then 15 to each side.
    10 military push ups, 10 wide base ,10 triangle, 10 standing side breakfalls on each side 10 standing backward breakfalls. Lots of punch and kick combos and then some focus mit stuff. He changes some of the exercises around with mountain climbers and other stuff. We then go over ground fighting or some new stand up stuff thats not part of our testing requirments. Then its time to work on our belt material untill the last 30 min of class when we grapple each other. Its a really good work out and we all have very good cardio. I would like to build some muscle though so I wouldnt look like the old 70's batman in my rash guard.
    Last edited by Baator-Steel; 11/30/2005 9:38am at .

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 9:56am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Dale Dugas Herbs: The Best Chinese Herbs & The Best Jow for the Best Price! Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateNinja5000
    Am I training? I know I could watch my diet better and do more to improve quicker but so what?

I eat under 2500 cal a day (@6'4" to get down to my 275lb fighting weight), mostly lean protien and (canned) veggies. I go to my boxing gym 5 times a week for 1.5 to 3 hours depending on how beat up I feel. I've been doing yoga once a week. I do weights semi-hard (heh) once a week at home, but just to keep my gains.

I have no idea where that falls on your scale, and frankly don't much care. I go hard enough to get what I want, I don't pretend I'm something I'm not, and I have no problem with my timeline or how long it will be until i reach my goals.

It's not like people that don't "train hard" aren't a valuable asset. Hell, I'd rather see a professional nutritionist that only did crappy TKD once a month join here rather than another bjj bluebelt. And a bjj blue belt that posts often and well is more valuable than a bjj black belt that only posts "I agree." It's not my cup of tea, but I also like seeing TMA peeps post as well just for the differing opinions.

That's my $.02 on it anyway.
    You need to get off the canned veggies. Horrible form to eat them in. Frozen is much better brother.

You will see a difference.

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 10:26am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas
    You need to get off the canned veggies. Horrible form to eat them in. Frozen is much better brother.

I will vouch for this.

I train in BJJ as much as my schedule allows. Currently we are only holding class 3 days a week because an instructor left and another moved farther away. That number will be back up to 5 in January. I tend to prefer going 4 days a week. 5 is just too much for my schedule + social life. Class is usually around 2 hours long.

Beyond that, I run, do pushups, situps, and unweighted squats (I don't work my back enough, but installing a pushup bar is not an option in my apartment, so I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do at this point. I'm not going to the gym just to work my back. These exercises are to make boot camp in June easier, by the way, not for any real martial arts purpose.). I used to be into powerlifting, but I absolutely despise weights now. I'd rather have functional strength from a lot of mat time. Weight training (to me) is boring and makes me feel like ass afterward. It just takes too long for minimal gains that I don't feel like I need anymore. I also have never had trouble holding onto gains I make, so I don't feel like it serves a maintenance purpose. No thanks.

I don't really watch what I eat, except that I do not buy junk food and I try to keep my caloric intake balanced throughout the day. Seeing as I am in college and not exactly wealthy, this is not always feasible.

Edit: My main caloric weakness is beer. I've been working on this, but I have a hard time saying no to Imperial Stouts and other malt and hop bombs. Meals in a bottle, unfortunately. Oh well. Too fucking bad.

Sirc: If you want to see how hard (smart) people have trained in their lives, go to a Throwdown. That is what they are for.
    Last edited by Cassius; 11/30/2005 10:29am at .

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 10:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleMeister
    Yet everyone says that diet is the most important thing.
    Okay, let's take a look at that "Wisdom" for a moment. Do you know what a "diet" is ... by formal definition? It is what you eat ... period.

"Dieting" is a crock of **** that has spawned an entire industry in the USA and what do we have to show for it? An ever increasing population of FAT ASSES.

If you "listen" to your body then it will "tell" you what it needs. Unlike the Mind, the Body has a very limited number of goals ... survive ... reproduce ... get as much pleasure as possible. That's about it.
    Last edited by JFS USA; 11/30/2005 10:35am at .

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 10:36am

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need other options for the poll.

I train 2x week in Aikido (and teach), 1 or 2 times a week for wrestling (depends on when I can get partners), I don't diet other than making sure I don't eat too much and limit my red meat intake, I really don't have the time to hit the gym, so I do push ups, sit ups, crunches, and the like at home every night.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 10:45am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas

Taste wise or nutrition wise? I've tried fresh veggies, but I usually end up letting them go bad. And frozen broccoli = :icon_puke

Honestly, I fucking hate veggies in all forms so what I've been doing is downing a can of them quick to get it over with. Peas + soy sauce + garlic. Corn + cumin. But on most days I just eat a can or two of chunky veggie soup. 18oz, 220cal. It's got a **** ton of salt, but I've got 2 working kidneys so I kinda don't pay attention to that.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Voted option 2.

Muay Thai three times a week (1 and a 1/2 hour each class), sparring usually between 4-5 rounds a week (three minutes each round), depending on the coach´s mood.

No gym.

And no diet. I just try not to eat too much. I gain weight very quickly, but fortunately I also lose weight without a problem.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 11:07am

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sirc: If you want to see how hard (smart) people have trained in their lives, go to a Throwdown. That is what they are for.
    Best line in this entire thread. Not everyone has the time or desire to be a martial arts bad ass...some people do it for fitness, some for love.

I think Bullshido sometimes gets confused about what this site is about...ROOTING OUT MA FRAUDS.

Claiming no touch knockouts is BS!

Doing Tai-chi twice a week and acknowledging you have no fighting prowess because of it and are doing for relaxation or something is NOT Bullshido and you shouldn't be looked down upon if it is your choice to be that way. Just as long as you are realistic about your goals/needs and honest about your ability.

In my opinion we had one Mod on the board who was straight Bullshido. Due to one of the biggest ego's I've ever witnessed...perhaps the result of Napolean's complex, he always talked like he was some bad ass grappler and stand up fighter.

While I admire him for getting in the ring, he got his ass beat once and had an interesting...ah...view of what happened. He got his ass beat again in the ring and apparently has decided to start training a bit differently both in standup and grappling.

To me he was Bullshido due to his ego and arrogance before his fights...he talked himself up way past his ability at the time. I still think he's pretty full of himself...I've seen him post that a tap out didn't count because it was an "accident" because the guy fell on him funny or something so it wasn't on purpose and didn't count. Which is ridiculous since we've all seen people lose real fights by accident (Mark Kerr knocking himself out, Matt Hughes getting choked out by Carlos Newton....falling....and knocking Carlos out when he fell, etc). However, due to his improved training and slightly toned down posts he's a lot less Bullshido in my mind than before.

Uh...ya...sorry about the small rant...but hopefully the point came through about that just because you aren't a REAL fighter or don't train hardcore doesn't mean you are Bullshido.

In simplest terms Bullshido = dishonesty about either your own abilities or what you are selling/teaching and the methodology used to do so.

Gringo Grande
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 11:14am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train hard 5 times a week, 2 hours a day right now.

as far as "diet" goes I agree with what has been posted, it's really just semantics.

personally I stay away from "bad foods", carbs, milk products naturally. I just dont like the taste.

I live off of fish and veggies. I weigh a wopping 140 pounds so eating "right" seems to actually hurt me, as I need to put on more weight.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 11:19am

Style: BJJ, Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I voted option 2 myself, but have to agree that this poll itself is pretentioous and egotistical, and not without a healthy smattering of bullshit.

I can't believe the OP had the balls to tell someone else to "put away the ego for a moment" when he's telling people they need to redefine what they call "training" without even offering up his own schedule.

I work about 42-45 hours a week with an hour commute (both ways), and have a newborn, new house, and am working on my bachelors degree.

If I get home in time, I go to both BJJ classes offered on Tuesday's and Thursdays, totalling 2.5 hours a night. If I'm running late, I still make the second class on those nights, and usually stay to roll after either way, so on a bare minimum I get 4 hours of straight up BJJ a week. On Wednesdays, we have 1.5 hours scheduled for Vale Tudo, so I get my no gi/Muay Thai in there, and usually still roll or do circuits for a half hour before or after class. Saturday is open mat, and I usually go form 10-1. All in all, in an average week, I train about 8 hours strictly MA related. I don't run much anymore due to the number of knee surgeries I've had, and I haven't had a decent gym work out in months, but I'm 6'2", 228, and the best way to stay strong for grappling is to grapple. I do plyometrics and calisthenics on my own time on Mondays and Fridays.

I like to eat decent food because a) it's normally cheaper than eating **** food, and b) I actually like a chicken breast, mixed veggies and some white rice for a meal. However, with my hectic schedule, sometimes I'll (or my wife) burn the last decent meal we have in the house, and we'll have to grab a pizza, toss on some hot dogs, or I'll whip up a protein shake that's well past its shelf life (I bought the economy box in fuckin' May, it's still 75% full). I was dirt poor for a bit when transitioning from the army to the govie world, so I went back on my old "body builder" (snickers at self) diet (I was around 140lbs all through high school, got to a max of 170 for the majority of my army time, then went crazy just trying to break 200lbs) of unsweetened grapefruit juice, hardboiled egg whites, and black coffee for breakfast and tuna right out of the pouches with water and an occasional 50 Gram Slam or equivalent for lunch.... Not because I gave a **** about being a male model, but because tuna packets are like a dollar and some change, and I don't mind it dry. They have eggs at the "corner store" for forty cents, and the juice and coffee will run me maybe $2 total, a little more if I grab the paper.

I compete in Judo and BJJ, and am training for a fight in Feb-Apr timeframe, but I already landed funny on my knee off a takedown the other night, and the swelling won't go down, so that might **** that up.

What do YOU do that you're gonna be able to pass judgement and say I'm "only practicing" if I cut class on Thursday because my daughter won't stop shitting, or I have sausages two meals a day for the next week because they were on sale at Costco, and I don't want them to go bad?

Not trying to flip out on you, but you've been here a grand total of 4 months and you're calling out the whole damned board without offering your credentials. Man up time.

*Sits in corner in loin cloth with club, ready to grunt in approval of ascertations of manliness*
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast