225002 Bullies, 3906 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Are you training right now?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Lots of class, strict diet and gym time!

39 20.00%
  • Yes! Class a few times a week, semi-diet, occasional gym.

109 55.90%
  • Yes. I attend class twice a week. No diet. No gym.

29 14.87%
  • No, I'm not in training right now. Age, retired, or training others.

1 0.51%
  • No, I'm not training for medical, financial, etc. reasons.

14 7.18%
  • No, I'm not training at all or plan to for at least 6 months.

3 1.54%
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 1:31am

Style: Short fat wimp style MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fall closest to the "Twice a week. No diet. No gym."

I think it's more a "no" answer than it is "yes". Training and a fun hobby are very different.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 1:47am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by riceavenger
    I train twice a week at the Rutgers' BJJ club, and once over at Advanced Martial Arts. When I go back home for the summer, I'm planning to train once a week at my old judo dojo and spending the rest of the time at Planet Jiu-Jitsu.

As for my diet...I'm a college student, nuff said.
    You go to Rutgers? I know some good people from there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 1:57am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if i'm busy i do gym and training on the same day, as my school has a weight room. Of course i also watch my diet, that's just common sense

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 3:19am

Style: gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageJudokaSS
    I voted option 2 myself, but have to agree that this poll itself is pretentioous and egotistical, and not without a healthy smattering of bullshit.

I can't believe the OP had the balls to tell someone else to "put away the ego for a moment" when he's telling people they need to redefine what they call "training" without even offering up his own schedule.

I work about 42-45 hours a week with an hour commute (both ways), and have a newborn, new house, and am working on my bachelors degree.

If I get home in time, I go to both BJJ classes offered on Tuesday's and Thursdays, totalling 2.5 hours a night. If I'm running late, I still make the second class on those nights, and usually stay to roll after either way, so on a bare minimum I get 4 hours of straight up BJJ a week. On Wednesdays, we have 1.5 hours scheduled for Vale Tudo, so I get my no gi/Muay Thai in there, and usually still roll or do circuits for a half hour before or after class. Saturday is open mat, and I usually go form 10-1. All in all, in an average week, I train about 8 hours strictly MA related. I don't run much anymore due to the number of knee surgeries I've had, and I haven't had a decent gym work out in months, but I'm 6'2", 228, and the best way to stay strong for grappling is to grapple. I do plyometrics and calisthenics on my own time on Mondays and Fridays.

I like to eat decent food because a) it's normally cheaper than eating **** food, and b) I actually like a chicken breast, mixed veggies and some white rice for a meal. However, with my hectic schedule, sometimes I'll (or my wife) burn the last decent meal we have in the house, and we'll have to grab a pizza, toss on some hot dogs, or I'll whip up a protein shake that's well past its shelf life (I bought the economy box in fuckin' May, it's still 75% full). I was dirt poor for a bit when transitioning from the army to the govie world, so I went back on my old "body builder" (snickers at self) diet (I was around 140lbs all through high school, got to a max of 170 for the majority of my army time, then went crazy just trying to break 200lbs) of unsweetened grapefruit juice, hardboiled egg whites, and black coffee for breakfast and tuna right out of the pouches with water and an occasional 50 Gram Slam or equivalent for lunch.... Not because I gave a **** about being a male model, but because tuna packets are like a dollar and some change, and I don't mind it dry. They have eggs at the "corner store" for forty cents, and the juice and coffee will run me maybe $2 total, a little more if I grab the paper.

I compete in Judo and BJJ, and am training for a fight in Feb-Apr timeframe, but I already landed funny on my knee off a takedown the other night, and the swelling won't go down, so that might **** that up.

What do YOU do that you're gonna be able to pass judgement and say I'm "only practicing" if I cut class on Thursday because my daughter won't stop shitting, or I have sausages two meals a day for the next week because they were on sale at Costco, and I don't want them to go bad?

Not trying to flip out on you, but you've been here a grand total of 4 months and you're calling out the whole damned board without offering your credentials. Man up time.

*Sits in corner in loin cloth with club, ready to grunt in approval of ascertations of manliness*
    My god that's a crazy pace!!.. how long 've you been doing that for?? I did something similar once when I was studying.. but 5 or 6 mths at a time was probably as serious I really got. These days if I hit 6 hrs in a day I do, and if I don't then I don't . I still watch what I eat, but you're right. It really is that cheap.. I don't know if I could live on crap if I tried. .so although I'm pretty lax compared to normal, i took opition 1,
    Last edited by Blooming lotus; 4/12/2006 3:34am at .

Martial and Sexual Artist

Posted On:
    4/16/2006 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: standup to ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    training at american fitness and boxing here in SD

boxing/kbing in the morning before work, grappling/mma in the evenings
    saturday days: going to the open ring

i have the best gym in san diego in my house so i dont really go to weight lifting gyms much

diet is hideous,

sony is a cruel master so my training was interrupted for a few months where i went at odd times

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 9:22am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your avatar is cute.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 2:06pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing formal right now due to fucked up cash flow. Hope to start training BJJ at Warrior Way over in Walled Lake soon, though. Other than that, lifting 2-3 times a week, running on alternate days and a (fairly) clean diet aside from being a caffeine junkie.

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 4:11pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train 6 hours a week in class (unless I miss one class for work).
    I go to the gym outside of class 3-4 times a week or if I'm working late workout at home (I have a gym quality flat bench, and sets of dumbells, weights around the ones I use at the gym anyway- minus a few, i'm not about to spend $2000 on a dumbell set when I can get by on those few nights I get home after 11 with a few key dumbells and bieng forced to go a little light/heavy in other excercises).
    Sparring I haven't done that much of lately, usually once per month but only with a friend of mine who only boxes- good for dealing with quick handspeed, but he has no clue about locks, grapples or legs. Or my other friend less frequently who has background in a number of arts, but doesn't actively train now, and is letting his health/skills deteriorate further.

It is difficult too because I don't fully have my "gym" area cleared out from moving in and haven't bought mats yet appropriate for stand up and grappling.

I maintain a regular healthy diet based on balanced meals and not eating excess sugar or trans fat. My biggest failing is when I go drinking. Liquor.
    Last edited by Bluto Blutarsky; 4/20/2006 4:13pm at .
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617