Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 7:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Calories burned in BJJ

By any chance does anyone know the approximate calories burned during an hour of grappling? I've searched but found nothing. I'm just trying to figure out my daily calorie expenditure. I've checked here, Sherdog, Google, Yahoo, come up empty. Any where else I should check. Thanks.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 7:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on how big you are and how hard you roll and how long you rest. it could be anything really.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 7:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand that and agree. However I'm talking here about an 'average' I can work with. For example they say you burn x amount of calories jogging for an hour, or y amount of calories walking, lifting, whatever. There must be a flawed figure such as those with regards to randori.

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 8:03pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The answer is . . . 17.

+ rep to anyone that gets my reference.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 8:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Figure out how many METS it would be, then with your bodyweight and time limit, you can figure out a ball-park estimate of calories burned. You can even go so far as to do it depending on your % max HR, or VO2 reserve.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 8:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How does one go out figuring out how many METS it would be? What is the equation for that number, bw, time?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 9:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's an exercise in futility.

Even if you were to come up with some kind of rough estimate, the margin of error would be so large, and the # would vary so significantly from workout-to-workout and as you progress over time that I can't imagine what use it would be to you.

I'd just make something up. It'll be about as useful.

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 9:18pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://answers.google.com/answers/

For around $5 you could probably get your question answered authoritatively. Other than that, just compare other studies already done on similar sports such as rugby, wrestling, etc.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 10:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually looked this one up when I was looking into those online nutrition/exercise trackers.

The `official' answer is between 450 and 1000 calories per hour. Most online software tools rate jiu-jitsu, taekwondo, kickboxing, judo and karate as requiring about the same amount of effort, which is usually around 450 to 650 calories (depending on who you read). Boxing conditioning comes in at about the same (450-500 calories, as does hard calisthenics), but boxing sparring comes in at about 1000 calories an hour.

I think that rolling in JJ is often as physically taxing as boxing, so I figure it as being good for 800-1000 calories an hour. Of course, that's a complete guess. But then again, so is lumping kickboxing in with karate or what I imagine is traditional jiu-jitsu. I'm guessing that your typical karate mcdojo isn't making its practitioners work as hard as a kyukoshin school or a kickboxing school, or a hard sparring BJJ school. Doesn't suggest that a lot of thought has gone into the MA section of these fitness tools.

www.fitday.com is a good example of such a tool, although I'm not really obsessive/compulsive enough to really get much out of the software as I quickly realized that the parameters were, in reality, so wobbly as to not be overly useful. And if you're finicky enough to fill out all the dietary information every day, you've probably already got an eating disorder.
    Last edited by BenwaMandelbrot; 11/29/2005 10:30pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 12:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and then some

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a decent tool to find calories burned per time of activity, and they at least take your weight into account. But I wouldn't rely on it: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_burned.htm

I swear it used say "wrestling" on it, but I guess I am mistaken. It does say boxing, though! Fitday has a listing for "wrestling," which I think would be the closest sport that the calories-burned-counters would recognize.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast