228379 Bullies, 3996 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What is chi/ki to you?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • At 1.2 million currently, depending on what I ate for breakfast

6 4.32%
  • Requires me to register my hands as lethal weapons

0 0%
  • An energy field that surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together

15 10.79%
  • The secret to my martial art

1 0.72%
  • Makes me better than I was before. Better, stronger, faster

4 2.88%
  • Bio/magnetic/electric fields/waves/radiation

9 6.47%
  • A chinese concept for unknown phenomenon

35 25.18%
  • The tickling sensation at the back of my throat

7 5.04%
  • Bullshit

62 44.60%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 3:14am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is a stupid link onetimebullet.

I think chi is a word that's been taken out of context and misused.

As an example if someone were to say that someone in american football, let's say Takeo Sparks, had "a hell of a badass factor" and Mike Ditka was teaching some japanese dudes to play American Football but he didn't speak much japanese so his explaination of the one time he saw Takeo totally crush a dude with his baddass factor is kind of garbled and so 200 years later those japanese's descendants were saying to their students, "To play football you need strong badass factor," that would not make "baddass factor" a real thing.

Obsession with Chi seems to be a product of sinophilia.

:pancakebu
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 3:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sidran
    Isn't that the same thing as (in western terms) someones soul? That's how I usually hear it described (outside of my martial arts experience, anyway).
    No. . . if you go there then you end up in a religious debate about what creatures have souls and what ones don't. Within the paradigm, plants have "qi". They don't have "souls" though. There are other words in Chinese for "soul" and "spirit" and they are not conflated with qi even a little bit. They are distinct concepts.

Special thanks to PointyShinyBurn for apparently grasping my idea the clearest even though he doesn't seem to agree with it. It's a little odd because he starts out saying:

This is exactly what I believe.
    But then goes on to say:

It drives because of the complex interactions among its several parts. There is no reason to think life is any different.
    Which I don't agree with. But nevertheless, from the rest of the post I can see that he understands my definition of the term perfectly. We just don't agree on the nature of the universe. lol

Quote Originally Posted by xingyifa
    Omar's post is just a roundabout version of a "god of gaps" argument. "Science can't explain X so Y might be true."
    Nice try but I could also say that vital animation is due to god or aliens or pink unicorns and while it might not make as much sense to your current worldview, it would be just as logically valid.
    You could say that but it wouldn't be relevant as qi is not defined in relation to aliens. It is not really a made up word. It does have a meaning and that meaning can be explained.

You have tried to counter an argument that doesn't exist. You are responding in a knee jerk way to an argument that goes on in your head apparently all the time and is triggered in a mechanical way just by simply seeing the word "qi" in print. I have not presented any argument whatsoever. I have presented a definition. As someone fluent in the language and with a particular specialty in CMA terminology I feel that I am qualified to do so. Your counterarguments about weather the paradigm is valid or not have not one iota of relevance to the actual meaning of the words.

To use your own suggestion, "pink unicorns". While we can all agree that pink unicorns do not exist, that does not prevent me from defining them as horse like creatures with a single silver horn sprouting from their forhead and pink fur. The relative lack of documentation of the existence of such creatures has nothing to do with their definition. :homo:
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 3:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Incorrect - their definition is the soul of their existance/nonexistance.

If I can re-define pink unicorns as old dudes in stiff jackets that ask me for change, pink unicorns exist.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 4:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who's definition of what?

I have no idea who "they" are in the context of your post.

If I can re-define pink unicorns...

But no one will know WTF you are talking about as that is not a commonly understood definition. It does meet the criterion of a definition by common usage, historical usage or word roots or any other etymylogical method. Your definition pink unicorns as old dudes in stiff jackets that ask me for change is not valid.

The definition I presented OTOH is both in common usage and historically how the word has been used.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 5:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, hence "IF I CAN RE-DEFINE..."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 5:15am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chi is the chinese term for the phenomenon that a conversation starts out reasonably enough, but if there's enough "Chi" in it it ends up with pink unicorns.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 5:24am

Style: BJJ,MT,Wrestling,Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think chi/ki is nothing more than the extra power generated when all doubts and inhibitions are cast aside and everything is focused on performing the one act.

Like breaking a brick(lame, i know but hang with me here)

I think chi/ki is when you KNOW you are going to break this brick, and any doubt you have that it might only crack, or that your hand will just bounce off of it, are eliminated. I think there is a little extra power generated with that extreme linear focus on accomplishing something.

So in short, Chi/ki to me is nothing more than that intent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 5:30am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know there's a lot of people in mental institutions, who while desperately believing to be Napoleon, sadly arent, and who would disagree with you, if they were capable of rational debate.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 5:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkengata
    I think chi/ki is nothing more than the extra power generated when all doubts and inhibitions are cast aside and everything is focused on performing the one act.

Like breaking a brick(lame, i know but hang with me here)

I think chi/ki is when you KNOW you are going to break this brick, and any doubt you have that it might only crack, or that your hand will just bounce off of it, are eliminated. I think there is a little extra power generated with that extreme linear focus on accomplishing something.

So in short, Chi/ki to me is nothing more than that intent.
    Well, when chi starts being like 'God' - a word you can define for yourself - that will be a valid definition.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 5:53am

Style: BJJ,MT,Wrestling,Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleMeister
    You know there's a lot of people in mental institutions, who while desperately believing to be Napoleon, sadly arent, and who would disagree with you, if they were capable of rational debate.

What i mean is that the mind controls the body, and if you remove those inhibitions, fear, or doubts about the attack and commit to royally fucking up whatever you are throwing the attack at, you are harnessing a little more of the strength and power you possess.

I think that's one of the secrets behind Rocky Marciano's unbelievable punches. Sure, he had natural strength, and worked out on a 300lb heavybag, but he also had a hell of a chin and insane stamina, and he knew it. Every one of his punches were thrown with complete abandon to caution of getting countered or hit in return. You could see it in the way he swung. He knew he was going to get hit, and he accepted it, so he just made damn sure he put everything he had behind every blow. Many boxers today pick and jab here and there, almost as if they are scared to get hit back, and are essentially robbing themselves of punching power, or being strategists, whichever you prefer. Rock just didn't give a ****.

I think it was that focus on just absolutely beheading his opponent with utter disregard to his own safety and doubts that gave Rock all the more of an edge.

That's kinda what im talking about with my perception of chi.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast